2016 Specialized S-Works 6 shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

cyclespeed wrote:My sale fell through so I still have mine.

Have been persisting with them, but after 3 short/medium rides I now have a small weeping sore on the inside of my left foot where the top edge of the shoe rubs it.

Ouch!

3 rides is not enough for the shoes to stretch a bit. Be patient. My left one was so snug that I couldn't even slip in thicker wool socks.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

mpulsiv wrote:

Have been persisting with them, but after 3 short/medium rides I now have a small weeping sore on the inside of my left foot where the top edge of the shoe rubs it.

Ouch!

3 rides is not enough for the shoes to stretch a bit. Be patient. My left one was so snug that I couldn't even slip in thicker wool socks.

Probably 10 rides total. (I do 1 ride, then go back to the 5's for a few).

My patience (and my skin) is wearing thin.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

cyclespeed wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Ouch!

Probably 10 rides total. (I do 1 ride, then go back to the 5's for a few).

My patience (and my skin) is wearing thin.....

Remove your left insole and go for a ride. If it's still too snug, then you may want to upgrade to .5 size larger (e.g., from 42.5 to 43)
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

Adonis91

by Adonis91

mpulsiv wrote:

Ouch!

I just purchased my first pair of s-work shoes, the sub6, so I have no experience with this brand. In the store they felt great, and when I first put them on before a ride they fit very comfortably, like a glove with no pain or abnormal pressure, but after my first few rides, about 45 minutes in, the outer part of my feet go numb (pinky toe and the one next to it). When I get home and take them off there is noticeable red spots on the outer edge of my foot at the outer metatarsal bone and on the pinky toe.

In your experience do you think they will stretch enough for this problem to go away or do I need to consider changing them for the wide model?

Darceking

by Darceking

I know specialized have just updated the Colours for the EXPERT range. Anyone have any pictures ?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Adonis91 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Ouch!

I just purchased my first pair of s-work shoes, the sub6, so I have no experience with this brand. In the store they felt great, and when I first put them on before a ride they fit very comfortably, like a glove with no pain or abnormal pressure, but after my first few rides, about 45 minutes in, the outer part of my feet go numb (pinky toe and the one next to it). When I get home and take them off there is noticeable red spots on the outer edge of my foot at the outer metatarsal bone and on the pinky toe.

In your experience do you think they will stretch enough for this problem to go away or do I need to consider changing them for the wide model?

Yes, the shoes will stretch, it takes a while though. Wide version is always safer instead of getting larger size. Have you tried on thicker wool socks? If so, how snug was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adonis91

by Adonis91

mpulsiv wrote:
Adonis91 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Ouch!

Yes, the shoes will stretch, it takes a while though. Wide version is always safer instead of getting larger size. Have you tried on thicker wool socks? If so, how snug was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the very fast reply! I don't have wool socks, but I just tried and managed to put them on with two pairs of regular socks and they feel fine/snug, without any pain (they even feel a little loose when I remove the insole). Given that you couldn't put them on when new with wool socks, maybe it's just my feet that need to break in, being used to swelling up in cycling shoes two sizes bigger than my normal shoe size (my old pair). I'm just a little anxious since these aren't exactly an inexpensive purchase.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

You shouldn't have to wear 2 pairs of socks in 350 Euro shoes. They should fit perfectly and be super comfortable.
The big problem I have with these shoes is how high (and stiff) they are around the ankle bone, which whilst it may improve over time, is not going to go away.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Problem with the "should fit perfectly" idea is that everyones foot is different...
Using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

cyclespeed wrote:You shouldn't have to wear 2 pairs of socks in 350 Euro shoes. They should fit perfectly and be super comfortable.
The big problem I have with these shoes is how high (and stiff) they are around the ankle bone, which whilst it may improve over time, is not going to go away.

I don't think you understand the sole purpose of shoe fit using 2 pair of socks. If you can wear 2 pair of socks without discomfort than its time to stop whining, the shoe will stretch in heel and toe area. Just because it's 350 Euro it doesn't mean it was custom made for you. In my case, I can't even slip in with thick wool socks because it's too snug but super comfortable summer race shoes that do stretch over time. Long story short, if you riding in thicker wool socks and there's even a slight movement of your feet, then the shoe might be too big for you. That's my personal opinion after years I spent in Pro shoes. Even in narrow version, my feet had more movement than I wanted.

Adonis91

by Adonis91

Nefarious86 wrote:Problem with the "should fit perfectly" idea is that everyones foot is different...

Indeed. One might say the same regarding hockey skates. But for me, though they always hurt for the first couple of weeks, they ended up being supremely comfortable once broken in. I'm just hoping it'll be the same with these cycling shoes. I don't care so much about "perfect fit" on day 1, what I care is that they fit perfectly and continue to do so after they are broken in. I couldn't think of anything worse than fitting perfectly on day 1 only to be too loose 1 year down the line.

Adonis91

by Adonis91

cyclespeed wrote:You shouldn't have to wear 2 pairs of socks in 350 Euro shoes. They should fit perfectly and be super comfortable.

I don't have to, and certainly don't intend to. I'll continue to go primarily without socks, and only use socks in cold weather. The point of the two socks was to test how tight the shoes were. The other poster asked me to try them on with wool socks, so I did the best I could to approximate that.

As far the ankle bone/tendon, mine feel wonderful there. I love how snugly they cup my heel. Never had a shoe fit line that before.

OutOfBreath

by OutOfBreath

I thought that synthetic leather was supposed to have little to not stretching at all.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

OutOfBreath wrote:I thought that synthetic leather was supposed to have little to not stretching at all.

Indeed, and the sides and heel of the 6 have deliberately been made to be stiff.

I can't see mine breaking in much at all.

I'm still surprised that Specialized changed the shoe so much. The 5 was a highly lauded, very popular shoe, and you see loads around, especially in high end cyclists.

And then they change the entire shape drastically with the 6. So I guess for some, it now becomes more comfortable, but for others less so. Either this is a tacit admission that they got it wrong with the 5, or they are just looking to appeal to a different type of foot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com