BMC TMR01 Build 6.8kg goal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boston

by Boston

Hi guys this is my first post on here, just treated myself to a BMC TMR01 with ultegra 11spd.

Right now with my powertap G3 wheels it weighs 8-8.1kg (I know extremely dissapointing)

Can someone help me choose cheap and lightweight bars, stem, bartape. Also anyother suggestions to shave weight off :)

Thanks :) P.s ordered 2015 campy chorus to put onto the build, will keep you all updated with pics soon

steel515

by steel515

how is it, have you ridden this yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

Depends on your budget, if on the low side you can go .....

Light Weight Bars- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hylix-Ultra-Lig ... 43c16eba74

Aero Bars - I use these on my BMC TMR01 Weight was 250, after I cut the ends of its now 235 grams. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Newest-COS ... 4d32acb0b6

Stems - Look for Hylix or Uno
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Boston

by Boston

Steel515 Yep done about 90km on it already. Incredibly stiff no watts lost, surprisingly I find it amazing up the climbs especially accelerations. Brakes can be a pain to adjust but it honestly is a pretty simple system.

Thanks for the suggestions Karlc

Last time I had carbon bars I felt they were too flexy so looking for lightweight alloy bars 38cm

KarlC

by KarlC

Boston wrote:Steel515 Yep done about 90km on it already. Incredibly stiff no watts lost, surprisingly I find it amazing up the climbs especially accelerations. Brakes can be a pain to adjust but it honestly is a pretty simple system.

Thanks for the suggestions Karlc

Last time I had carbon bars I felt they were too flexy so looking for lightweight alloy bars 38cm

I felt the same way on my last 2 carbon bars, I did not like it, this bar fells like alloy its very still .......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Newest-COS ... 4d32acb0b6
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Chirobike

by Chirobike

This is mine. Haven't weighed it in a while...I'll do that today. I use Shimano Pro Evo's and they are plenty stiff coming from 135 Pro Vibe sprint (still have for sale) and a Vibe aluminum bar. I think they are like 410 gms but they fit the look of the bike so I like it. I'll keep this bike til the end of the year. Brakes are "okay" at best. Compared to the Madone or new Venge they aren't that great. Other than that the bike rides great, stiff but not uncomfortable. Not quite sure why the team doesn't use it that much.

ImageUntitled by Gary Lindsey, on Flickr)

Boston

by Boston

Suprisingly yesterday scrolling though pics from tour of Utah guess who was riding the timemachine? Taylor Phinney! In his comeback race came third!

Update on my build - Got the shipment of shifters and chain all looking very nice am very cheap on wiggle at the moment for the 2015 campy groupsets. Reason why I do seperate orders is to evade import taxes haha keeps the cost down low.
Anyway decided I'm gonna buy Cineli Dinamo Bars, they're alloy and weigh 230gm for the 42cm! And I'm getting the 38cm so that will be an easy 100gm weight saving. Plus they're cheap on wiggle and being alloy stiff as ever:)

Planning to pair the bars with Deda carbon fibre tape, only $9NZD so about $5 USD making them super cheap and even better lightweight at about 29grams I think ?! They also look amazing

Also splashing some money on new Look Keo Blade 2s they look amazing, reasonably light at 110gm for one and also super cheap yet again on wiggle! Only $140NZD now that's a bargain.

Really looking forward to building this beauty up and will definetly upload photos and my thoughts on the bars,tape and groupo when I get them hope everyone will enjoy it!
P.s Suprised to find a full campy cabling set beneath my box for shifters, they don't even state it on the website that it's included so for $311nzd it's definetly worth it!

Philbar72

by Philbar72

I've got mine down to 7.3 and thats fine, running ultegra Di2 Zipp sl70 aero road bars, zipp 303s or hed jet 6's ( weight goes up to 7.5 with those on) and a power2max powermeter.

on a flat/ rolling course it is so fast. uphill its not bad by any means, just not as fast as the teammachine.

oks315

by oks315

I suggest you,
you can change light Q.R.

KarlC

by KarlC

Philbar72 wrote:I've got mine down to 7.3 and thats fine, running ultegra Di2 Zipp sl70 aero road bars, zipp 303s or hed jet 6's ( weight goes up to 7.5 with those on) and a power2max powermeter.

on a flat/ rolling course it is so fast. uphill its not bad by any means, just not as fast as the teammachine.

I'm also at 7.3 with full Ultegra Di2 and Zipp 404s, could ezaly lose some grams but so far I am enjoying this aero rocket as is.

Chirobike fix your photo its not working, thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Ive got mine down to 6.7 with a power meter! That's with 38mm deep, 28mm wide tubular wheels (1098g). 7.1ish with 60mm, 28mm wide tubular wheels. I can't remember if those weights were before or after I added rotor Q-rings though. They were maybe 30g heavier than the Dura ace rings they replaced.

Dura ace 9070 groupset,
Garmin vector power meter pedals,
3t aeronovas team bars,
3t arx stem,
Dura Ace BB (which is light but creaking like crazy atm), Axlightness Leaf saddle
Powercordz prime housing and cable to the rear brake only...DA housing and cable to the front.

Little things like an extralite ultrastar expander plug (6g!) will save something like 35-40g over the huge heavey thing that comes with the frameset and they aren't that expensive.

Light weight quick release skewers can save a fair bit of weight without blowing the bank compared to using stock campy/shimano ones.

I can't remember exactly but I think running the powercordz cable and housing to the rear brake saved me about 40g total although the Dura ace cable/housing might have been a little slicker as the housing is more flexible.

I'm in the French Alps atm riding up giant mountains with two 1L bottles hanging of this thing!! I keep telling myself that hydration makes a bigger difference than an extra kg though ;)

I really don't get how people can say aero bikes aren't good climbers. Maybe if they're a noodle but the TMR01 It's so freakin stiff, especially the front end that when I'm training z5 intervals out of the saddle at over 400w the thing flys up Hills. I took a Strava KOM on a local cat 2 climb shortly getting this frameset even though I've climbed the climb a hundred times before with all sorts of wind conditions and with more watts. A week later I beat the old KOM just while doing over/under intervals up it, still with a lower wattage than my previous Max power climb on that hill.

Knocked 48seconds off my time up Alpe D'Huez. This bike is the same weight as my BMC GF01 was last year, unfortunately i'm also the same weight as I was last year. The only other difference is I had a Rapha aero jersy on and the 38mm wheels this year as opposed to the 60mm wheelset last year on the GF01. Either way I'm convinced that aero counts even up big hills. Best climbing bike I've ever had!

KarlC

by KarlC

mr4fox, all great info thx for sharing it sounds like you are loving your TMR01 as much as I am.

I made a few changes to my TMR01 and am now down to 7.18 kg .... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131523

I have more ez grams to remove and will look into some of your suggestions also.

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Philbar72

by Philbar72

mr4fox wrote:Ive got mine down to 6.7 with a power meter! That's with 38mm deep, 28mm wide tubular wheels (1098g). 7.1ish with 60mm, 28mm wide tubular wheels. I can't remember if those weights were before or after I added rotor Q-rings though. They were maybe 30g heavier than the Dura ace rings they replaced.

Dura ace 9070 groupset,
Garmin vector power meter pedals,
3t aeronovas team bars,
3t arx stem,
Dura Ace BB (which is light but creaking like crazy atm), Axlightness Leaf saddle
Powercordz prime housing and cable to the rear brake only...DA housing and cable to the front.

Little things like an extralite ultrastar expander plug (6g!) will save something like 35-40g over the huge heavey thing that comes with the frameset and they aren't that expensive.

Light weight quick release skewers can save a fair bit of weight without blowing the bank compared to using stock campy/shimano ones.

I can't remember exactly but I think running the powercordz cable and housing to the rear brake saved me about 40g total although the Dura ace cable/housing might have been a little slicker as the housing is more flexible.

I'm in the French Alps atm riding up giant mountains with two 1L bottles hanging of this thing!! I keep telling myself that hydration makes a bigger difference than an extra kg though ;)

I really don't get how people can say aero bikes aren't good climbers. Maybe if they're a noodle but the TMR01 It's so freakin stiff, especially the front end that when I'm training z5 intervals out of the saddle at over 400w the thing flys up Hills. I took a Strava KOM on a local cat 2 climb shortly getting this frameset even though I've climbed the climb a hundred times before with all sorts of wind conditions and with more watts. A week later I beat the old KOM just while doing over/under intervals up it, still with a lower wattage than my previous Max power climb on that hill.

Knocked 48seconds off my time up Alpe D'Huez. This bike is the same weight as my BMC GF01 was last year, unfortunately i'm also the same weight as I was last year. The only other difference is I had a Rapha aero jersy on and the 38mm wheels this year as opposed to the 60mm wheelset last year on the GF01. Either way I'm convinced that aero counts even up big hills. Best climbing bike I've ever had!

basing mine on fact, re the climbing (and it is by no means a bad climbing bike!). the bike is around 800g heavier than my teammachine, and i agree re the stiffness so (as youd expect) if its a 1 - 3 minute climb i can put the power down and get up there in the same times ( bear in mind most 1-3 minute climbs i do are over 12-15% average, so there is a definite difference (one i train on regularly is an average of 25 watts difference for the same speed). but i also agree we are all different! if you are to talk about shallow pitch hills like alpe d'huez (8 ish percent) yes aero makes a difference. when its a nasty 22% climb its more about power to weight.

but to get back on track, when this thing goes, its electric.

KarlC

by KarlC

Philbar72 wrote:basing mine on fact, re the climbing (and it is by no means a bad climbing bike!). the bike is around 800g heavier than my teammachine, and i agree re the stiffness so (as youd expect) if its a 1 - 3 minute climb i can put the power down and get up there in the same times ( bear in mind most 1-3 minute climbs i do are over 12-15% average, so there is a definite difference (one i train on regularly is an average of 25 watts difference for the same speed). but i also agree we are all different! if you are to talk about shallow pitch hills like alpe d'huez (8 ish percent) yes aero makes a difference. when its a nasty 22% climb its more about power to weight.

but to get back on track, when this thing goes, its electric.

Sounds like if you reduce the weight on your TMR01 you will have the perfect bike, as the OP is doing.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kichan

by Kichan

How about you losing weight? :-)