Damaged fork steerer crown. Should I replace it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

isharamet

by isharamet

So, I've noticed some scratches on fork steerer crown while overhauling my bike and really don't know what to do with it. Should I replace it or can safely ride? What do you think?
Attachments
steerer_crown.gif

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

That's damage to the headset crown race, not to your fork. That alloy press on crown race acts as a platform for the cartridge bearing to sit on. Some damage and or pitting is often caused by the steel cartridge bearing moving against the softer alloy crown race. Sometimes because the headset is loose, and the whole bearing can rock back and forth against the alloy race, sometimes in extreme cases because the lower bearing has seized, and the whole cartridge is turning on the crown race-not a pleasant feeling! Usually noisy as well....

The (slight) damage you have is largely cosmetic, if the bearing itself is turning freely and feels smooth, then I think you'll be just fine putting it all back together, with a decent run of grease between the bearing and crown race. The lower bearing does most of the work, so you may as well replace it if in any doubt, or at least swap the top and bottom bearings around, assuming you have the same dimension of bearing top and bottom.

If you're replacing the cartridge bearings, then it's often just as easy/cheap to buy a whole headset, and use whatever parts you need from it, in that case you'd also have a new crown race to use as well.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just above the red oval circle (at the right side), you have a crack in the carbon so your fork seems to have a cracked steerer.
You should replace the fork as this crack surely will grow.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

androidavies

by androidavies

I think that's a raised seam in the steerer, and not uncommon. Presumably part of the manufacturing process. Like the "flashing" on some new tyres?

Best if the OP checks that out carefully though.....

isharamet

by isharamet

androidavies, thanks. I've installed old headseat on top on this crown. It moves freely without any problems.

wheelsONfire, it's just a seam, not crack.