LOOK 795 or Time Skylon can't decide

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tuouus754

by tuouus754

For me, it's too expensive, I can not afford... coque iphone 6s housse iphone 6s
Last edited by tuouus754 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I like the ZED crank layout.. wish it would had make it as far back as the 595, then I would have been sold on buying one..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

tomyboy123 wrote:
Daveaero wrote:... It's also the only LOOK 795 with campy wheels I've seen on the net so far and I've been searching.

How dare he??? :smartass: :beerchug:

Daveaero

by Daveaero

Damn Tomyboy123, YOU are a freakin rebel. you better take it down before the cycling federallies come a knockin. cool back ground man, respect. I can't wait to upload mine whichever i get but, you've definitely making think harder. I saw more pic of the new frames for 2016 @glorycycles

Daveaero

by Daveaero

mrgray wrote:For my money it would be the Look 7 days a week. It looks incredible to my eyes and given their reputation for comfortable fast bikes what's to worry about? Skylon looks like a Venge but I presume is more expensive.

This is becoming more and more of a LOOK 795 thread... lol Going this weekend for test ride and a quote so, by following weekend I should be all in.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

It is ideal for the cyclist who ride a bike between 2 and 4 days a week, looking for a high quality product model, but without having to make too high and overall expenditure, without the demands of a model more faces the competition . The painting, made by a novel composite carbon fibers and natural fibers, gets effectively absorb all irregularities, and together with its geometry, make it ideal for long bicycle routes occasional large fund type tests or for those looking for on half road bike training for other disciplines or sports.

http://www.bikingpoint.es/blog/look-2016

Hope this works, interesting article on LOOK 2016's. It seems "LOOK" is moving mainstream with the 765's not a bad looking rig but i just wonder. The article's in French so, you can google translate to get the whole read if your interested but, the above 765 caption got me thinking. I wonder will you see more LOOK's as people get familiar with the brand? Obviously the company thinks so hence the "affordable" models. They claim there was huge demand for the 795's this year and last so, the exclusiveness may be wavering. I wonder why or how. It just funny to me because you really had to look for the team this year in the TDF. The coverage was all about Team Sky and Movistar and for good reason but..Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on and see if anybody had any thoughts. TomyBoy123 if your still out there? I remember you have or had an affiliation with the company right?.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Look might not be on TV coverage as often as other brands, but in many areas in Europe is a reputable and established brand since the early 80's and has a very strong presence so if you are in the market for a bike you'll be able to touch Looks in the flesh in a nearby LBS. That means that is difficult to go for a ride and not spot at least one.

Time is a bit more scarce but again spotting one is far from a memorable event.

Just saying this because it's worth remembering that not all markets are like America.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

XCProMD wrote:Look might not be on TV coverage as often as other brands, but in many areas in Europe is a reputable and established brand since the early 80's and has a very strong presence so if you are in the market for a bike you'll be able to touch Looks in the flesh in a nearby LBS. That means that is difficult to go for a ride and not spot at least one.

Time is a bit more scarce but again spotting one is far from a memorable event.

Just saying this because it's worth remembering that not all markets are like America.

You're right, I probably overlooked the brand in the past but, the making of the New "affordable" 765 model shows a shift from their past. The demand is growing overall it seems. A lot of bike shops don't keep LOOK on stock because of the insurance expenses etc. at least, that's what Ive been told. Some stores will order them as a local retailer but, not many stores in my area have them on display. For instances, Cannonades are everywhere, so are Trek and Specialized. All good bikes just more common. The Skylon is also interesting to me in the designs and "engineering" of their Carbon frames. But, another "ridiculously" high priced frame that's pretty rare on the road. The "scarcity of product" marketing is probably also by the company's design as well.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Good point Daveaero. Another good reason why Look is popular this side of the pond might be they always had some sort of reasonable priced carbon frame.

MRM

by MRM

I just disagree with their decision of sitting on the 795 for a year (due to market concerns). I think them advancing total integration would have been much more revolutionary back then. Now what they began in terms of elimination of visible cables on a road bike with the Aerolight has been done much better from Trek with the Madone 9 and Specialized with the Venge ViAS. The latter two look to be more aero as well, albeit tests will show that definitively in future.
I really think it is a bit of a missed opportunity. I really loved the 795 when it came out, but now I'd rather get the Venge ViAS or Madone 9 as my next bike (if I can afford them in final spec).

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I think most brands will have affordable models, whether Look or Time, as it's a better business model. The company is certainly not selling a lot of $5000+ frames, even if the mark up is a lot, the percentage is sales is low. That said, if you're after a bike no one else has, there are far fewer people riding Sarto or something like that, but then you'll have to wait awhile. Alternatively, if you want to stand out from the crowd with a Look or Trek or any brand really, get something other than black. Seems to be a very popular colour the past couple of years.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I imagine these two bikes as being very different to ride. I havent ridden either, but here are a few speculations.

Ostensibly, the Look has made more of a concerted effort to make a 'real' aero bike. Time, on the other hand, appears more so to have just made some vaguely aerodynamic frame shapes and used that as a means for the 'aerodynamic' moniker. Following from this, if we take into account the general trends the aero bikes have brought up in recent years, it seems likely that the Look might provide slightly sharper road feeback and be a little less balanced with respect to comfort due to its true aerofoil seat and downtubes.

I would suggest that, by brand name alone, the Time will provide a more distinctive, unusual ride quality. The Looks Ive ridden have all been kinda run of the mill in terms of their ride quality - really nice, but nothing new or that different. Naturally the 795 is a pretty weird bike overall so I am probably way off making that claim.

Dont ever compromise on a flagship frame. Dont even give the 765 a look. Its flagship or go home, especially if you've got the money. Dont listen to this 'is it justified' bullcrap. If you can discern a difference and gain value from that everytime you swing your leg over the bike, then the purchase is justified. You dont want to ride around thinking to yourself "what if I had have gotten the better one?" End of story.

My final comment is, a choice between two agents where there is no overt gain to be made by one choice over the other ought to lead to a decision based on more or less a random quibble. For example, do you like the look of one better? the history of the brand? the exclusivity of one over the other? If you cant ride either one, then you're not exactly in a position to make a rational choice as to which is objectively better for you. Personally, I'd get the Skylon. The Look is fugly!!!!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

oks315

by oks315

I am thinking, Time is better than Look 795. Because Time is good design.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@zappafile123 I agree with you for the most part because justified is relative to the buyer for sure. It's not really a money issue per se, although, I don't plan on purposely paying the highest price just because I could. I still want substance over style or mere bragging rights. It's a "Dream Bike" of sorts and, these two bikes intrigue me the most. Your point based off speculation by brand name alone makes sense because the Skylon is if nothing else marketed as a more distinctive, unusual ride quality. I also look at the two as some what of an "investment" in road bike engineering. Meaning, ahead of its time in terms of the design and "performance" or "comfort" which are also somewhat relative to the rider. But, you do want to "feel it" every time your out there especially, if your paying full retail.
thanks for the insight

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@MiddMan Yeah, I hear you. It's funny though, all this talk about exclusivity and such and I will likely get a black/red frame at least, the two i'm currently looking at. In many ways it would be very basic. But, I don't care too much about that anyway i just want to find an available color scheme on the bike I like most. It definitely won't be a bike that nobody else has because I won't get it customed made. It will just be a high end bike with maybe a few distinctive parts. And your right, the Sarto is a wicked looking machine I must admit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com