LOOK 795 or Time Skylon can't decide

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mkc

by mkc

bm0p700f wrote:I have a Look 795 waiting for a new stem (it got shipped without one). Going to fit Campagnolo Record to it and I already have some of my wheels to go on. It certainly a bold look and I had better not be slow on it.

That sucks to hear they forgot to ship the stem. The stem i have is 100mm and i find myself stretching a bit too much (especially with the aerobar) so I placed an order for an 80mm stem and im told LOOK don't keep any in stock and produce on order only.. So basically its going to take 6-7 weeks to receive the shorter stem. I hope yours arrives in time!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mid Jan apparantly we'll see. I have plenty of bikes but I was hoping to being racing it come feb that may not be possible.

Also waiting for the bars they might take even longer.

I think if you have one these it is best to have a good bike as backup as everything for it seems to be produced to order. However you would not buy a Ferrari and keep it as you only car would you. Same applies to Look.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bm0p700f wrote:I think if you have one these it is best to have a good bike as backup as everything for it seems to be produced to order. However you would not buy a Ferrari and keep it as you only car would you. Same applies to Look.
Really? If it can't take being used daily it's a waste of money. I have used every bike I've ever owned in almost all conditions. The only no-no is icy conditions or snow. But with Look you do have to be careful. I had 3 pairs of HSC4 forks warrantied due to faulty manufacturing. Ended up being credited and replaced with Time Millennium forks. I'd take a "entry level" Time over any Look every time.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I will use it all the time but what I am saying is it is very propriety. The bb bearings are not standard and are unlikely to be on next day delivery so having a back up bike is not a bad idea. You buy a Look because of the design no other reason. It so dammed french and I love it.

romalor

by romalor

time is more french than look guy ...
they produced almost all theirs frame set in France , except some rear triangle ( stays chanstays for lower price models )

look is produced in tunisie and a lot of crappy solutions

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@mkc all I can say is WOW! It's crazy because I hadn't been on here in awhile just waiting and now I see this bike. Awesome man, great shot of the bike. You placed your order months ago! LOOK really keeps you waiting :( .But, it's ok i guess it really looks worth it. Congrats, are you a racer professionally or otherwise? It's a lot money to lay down on a bike like this. Then again, prices have come down this year. I just don't imagine too many "average" or below average recreational riders will be buying a bike like this although, obviously there's always exceptions. :D Oh, what size are those tires 25mm? The bike looks strong.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@bm0p700f LOL I think you hit the nail on the head. You need a backup bike when buying any "high end" road bike. This a "pro level" bike, you shouldn't even want to ride it everyday. Unless, your a pro rider yourself and training. But without sponsorship, it's a bike for those special feel good days. When you go out hit the road and just smash it! I mean simply lay the hammer down and feel like no one can catch you! Then get back to reality and train hard on your workmen bike or bikes. Keep the novelty and "special feel good ride" you get from whatever you ride. Or, maybe race in your local Crit although, I'd hate to scratch it let alone have a crash. Just have fun and enjoy a great freakin bike

cdtf

by cdtf

mkc wrote:My new bike finally arrived :)

So, you placed an order this summer and received the bike 6 MONTHS later? Is this for real?

Amazing ride of course, but this is unacceptable for a non-custom bike. Its an extremely high end brand, sure, but still.

mkc

by mkc

Daveaero wrote:@mkc all I can say is WOW! It's crazy because I hadn't been on here in awhile just waiting and now I see this bike. Awesome man, great shot of the bike. You placed your order months ago! LOOK really keeps you waiting :( .But, it's ok i guess it really looks worth it. Congrats, are you a racer professionally or otherwise? It's a lot money to lay down on a bike like this. Then again, prices have come down this year. I just don't imagine too many "average" or below average recreational riders will be buying a bike like this although, obviously there's always exceptions. :D Oh, what size are those tires 25mm? The bike looks strong.

Thanks Daveaero, yes unfortunately LOOK prioritize taller people first! Frame L was available 3 weeks after an order was placed but for a Small frame the wait was about 4 months as my order was actually put in August from what I gathered.

I am not a racer, just a recreational rider at the moment. I'm competitive though and appreciate style and quality :wink: I'm planning on joining triathlons this year so we shall see how the bike performs. The tires are 25mm, you are correct.

mkc

by mkc

cdtf wrote:
mkc wrote:My new bike finally arrived :)

So, you placed an order this summer and received the bike 6 MONTHS later? Is this for real?

Amazing ride of course, but this is unacceptable for a non-custom bike. Its an extremely high end brand, sure, but still.

I placed an order with LOOK in late July but based on my understanding they only placed the order with the factory post-eurobike exhibition because it is a 2016 frame. So I believe the order was put in late august and I received it on December 19.

I admit, they did test my patience but its all good in hindsight. Thankfully I still had my old bike to ride.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

Update: For those that are interested, the decision was made and I've selected The LOOK 795 Aero light, and I will upload pictures shortly. I must admit, I've learned a lot throughout this time and will be better suited come my next purchase. But, for starters, I can't say I waited an exceptionally long time from order placement to delivery as the entire process took less than 2 months so, maybe i was lucky? However, it wasn't without some compromises but, I can attribute some of this to my own inexperience with bike customizations. The Challenge comes with LOOK themselves, and availability always seems to be the issue. So, if your fortunate enough to get the frame size you want without an extended wait time your probably one of the few. Because as I was told by one dealer "there's just not that many out there" easily less than 30 in the U.S. Market for sure. So, LOOK is quite strategic with there "peekaboo" marketing and distribution tactics creating a heightened sense of anticipation for their customer base. So the exclusivity factor is seems quite high right now. There are a few ride reviews trickling in and I expect more to come as the year continues. The one thing I wanted to address was some of the mis conceptions or information out there currently. For one, for those who want Campy EPS it can be done without problem but, obviously you must deal with a qualified mechanic accustomed to these frames. Also, different chainring combinations are also possible, however, here LOOK smartly covers the brand name with their crank arm but, the rings still function properly. This point was made on a recent and somewhat negative review from Bike Radar US. I will be writing my own personal review on here soon once i get back, and anybody else can chime with information as well. I'm curious to hear from others on there experiences with the new model. thanks for responding

mkc

by mkc

Congrats! I hope you enjoy the bike as much as I currently am enjoying mine. I would be interested to know if you were able to install q-rings on the ZED 3 crank as I was told it is not possible. Lets see the pics and reviews once ready!

Daveaero wrote:Update: For those that are interested, the decision was made and I've selected The LOOK 795 Aero light, and I will upload pictures shortly. I must admit, I've learned a lot throughout this time and will be better suited come my next purchase. But, for starters, I can't say I waited an exceptionally long time from order placement to delivery as the entire process took less than 2 months so, maybe i was lucky? However, it wasn't without some compromises but, I can attribute some of this to my own inexperience with bike customizations. The Challenge comes with LOOK themselves, and availability always seems to be the issue. So, if your fortunate enough to get the frame size you want without an extended wait time your probably one of the few. Because as I was told by one dealer "there's just not that many out there" easily less than 30 in the U.S. Market for sure. So, LOOK is quite strategic with there "peekaboo" marketing and distribution tactics creating a heightened sense of anticipation for their customer base. So the exclusivity factor is seems quite high right now. There are a few ride reviews trickling in and I expect more to come as the year continues. The one thing I wanted to address was some of the mis conceptions or information out there currently. For one, for those who want Campy EPS it can be done without problem but, obviously you must deal with a qualified mechanic accustomed to these frames. Also, different chainring combinations are also possible, however, here LOOK smartly covers the brand name with their crank arm but, the rings still function properly. This point was made on a recent and somewhat negative review from Bike Radar US. I will be writing my own personal review on here soon once i get back, and anybody else can chime with information as well. I'm curious to hear from others on there experiences with the new model. thanks for responding

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I am surprised in 6 pages of this thread not a single person posted anything about fit. The bikes, frames, and measurements are completely different.

I have not ridden either one of these 2 bikes, but have toyed seriously with the idea of getting one of these 2 as well. I currently have a LOOK 595 Ultra with Campy 10s Record and a TIME RXR with Campy 11s SR. Same brakes, wheels, and everything else. They both fit me very differently and love the fit of each for different reasons. recreational rider as well. They are not the models you speak of for sure, but if I was to generalize what these 2 are like to what to expect from the new models given what I read about them, I would say "good luck with your choice"!!! I love the LOOK for how responsive, aggressive, and how well it tracks descending. Although the 2 bikes weight ultimately about the same (within 0.1 Lb), the LOOK feels heavier for sure and far more reliable taking turns on descends. The TIME "feels" more aero, is far more comfortable in longer rides, and despite not "feeling" as stiff and responsive as the LOOK, it does feel like it climbs better. Go figure!! I don't generate 1500 watts, so I can't tell you what flexes and when on either. I have read both of them flex here and there, but personally couldn't tell you at all as I apparently don't generate the kind of power necessary to make it happen. The TIME is more "twitchy" on fast curvy descends. However, that has not ever stopped me from bombing down any descend without much regard to caution. I have done plenty of 100+ mile rides on both, some with 12K feet of climbing, and I can say without a doubt the LOOK is harsher in the end. So much that I don't get it on it for rides >50 miles these days if I can help it. I have well over 30K miles on the LOOK and >25K miles on the TIME.

The huge down side to both is cool choices. They are all completely hideous in my personal opinion. I love the all black or all white LOOK used to have back in the early 595 models, but everything else seems awful to me. The TIME is no better, and about the only color I can tolerate to see it on these days is the New limited edition France color (all black with small french flag stripes). I also recently read a review on bike radar about the 795. clearly states Campy EPS is NOT compatible with the frame. Don't know why though. Another down side for the LOOK 795 for me is the large amount of proprietary stuff on it (brakes, stem, cranks, bottom bracket). I simply hate proprietary parts on bikes as I ultimately like to choose my own.

In the end, you'll end up picking one based on aesthetics ONLY. But if you ride only recreationally, I would seriously favor the TIME based on comfort alone. You won't see many, if any, of either on the road. So you will have bragging rights with both regardless.

**Edit: Also, keep in mind these 2 frames in questions look very different across the size range. The LOOK actually look more "normal" as the size gets bigger. The TIME looks worse as the sizes go up. Both look best with aero wheels, but I think the TIME simply does not belong with non-aero wheels.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@dgasmd, you are correct Campy EPS is NOT compatible with this frame as designed. However, my only point was that a "qualified pro mechanic" accustomed to these frames and jobs can install this. I've actually rode one. But, yes maybe not advised or, practical for most depending on one's location.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daveaero

by Daveaero

[quote="mkc"]Congrats! I hope you enjoy the bike as much as I currently am enjoying mine. I would be interested to know if you were able to install q-rings on the ZED 3 crank as I was told it is not possible. Lets see the pics and reviews once ready!

@mkc, it's funny, I almost get the feeling a BR review addressing this issue was to answer our inquiry on this thread. :beer chug: mate. Anyway, I have Q-rings on mine and there's no problem. However, if I chose to use QXL rings, the FD would likely need adjustment. So, if your also using the aero "Q-Rings" in the "5" position, I think Rotor says it's the equivalent to the ovality of the QXL. Which is probably why your LBS told you it's not compatible. Ironically, LOOK reps may also tell you this or that is not compatible. However, as is always the case, the devils in the details. I've seen last year model equipped with S-Works TT rings which really looked cool so, it depends. LOOK covers the label now if your using their Zed3 crank so, you'll need to look closely to identify the rings. If you use their parts you show their logos boldly seems to be their theme.