LOOK 795 or Time Skylon can't decide

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@MRM Yeah, the Venge was in my top five but, I've since tried to narrow it down to these two. But, it's funny the Trek madone 9 looks like a LOOK 695 to me. Trek's are very popular this side of the water and so are specialized. You couldn't watch the TDF without seeing specialized. I found it comical how the little air time LOOK could get. I mean, the broadcast wouldn't even show a live shot of the TT bike because it was so ugly...lol And the integration could be better i agree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Have you ridden both? After having two Time frames and having read so many other glowing reviews with regards to the Time ride quality I'd lean towards Time. Looking at Time's current catalog I'd even be looking at the Izon or Fluidity. And actually, I really like the Paolo Bettini VXRs edition. I just like the old school look carbon lug look.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

AJS914 wrote:Have you ridden both? After having two Time frames and having read so many other glowing reviews with regards to the Time ride quality I'd lean towards Time. Looking at Time's current catalog I'd even be looking at the Izon or Fluidity. And actually, I really like the Paolo Bettini VXRs edition. I just like the old school look carbon lug look.

Thanks for responding AJS91. Since you've ridden Time frames in the past, how many miles, or rides before AKTIV dampening effect wears off? And, is it true the effects of the fork only apply to certain road and at certain speeds. I've never rode a Time frame and there's no way to give a real gauge in a small test ride. I'm just curious because I've read where the fork dampening effect only last for a few hundred or, maybe a thousand miles before it's feel like a "normal" bike?

AJS914

by AJS914

Sorry, I've never ridden the newer stuff nor Aktiv. I started with a Time Edge First, and then got a VXS which I still ride. The workmanship, quality and ride characteristics on the VXS still impress me even though it is a 2008 frame. I mostly ride my Parlee but there are aspects to the VXS I miss when I ride the Parlee. Primarily it is handling and then the VXS soaks up the road like no other bike. The Parlee though has built out 3/4 pound lighter so it's my main bike now.

I picked up an NXR Instinct project frame which I will build out next. It has some cosmetic issues and I was going to make it a winter bike to live in my office for lunch time rides.

mkc

by mkc

I placed an order for a 2016 LOOK 795 aerolight Pro team colors 2 weeks ago. Its expected to be delivered to me by week 3 of September.

I was contemplating between the new venge and LOOK throughout the month of July but ultimately I found the aesthetics of the LOOK to be much better although they both are great bikes.

I made some changes to the bike by switching the wheels to Lightweight Meilenstein's and also the handlebar, saddle, and chainring.

Cant wait for it to arrive and suggest you book one soon if you are hoping for a quick delivery. I was a bit put off by the 7 week wait but nothing can be done about it I was told since I insisted on the new team colors.

MRM

by MRM

Congrats!

Daveaero

by Daveaero

[quote="mkc"]I placed an order for a 2016 LOOK 795 aerolight Pro team colors 2 weeks ago. Its expected to be delivered to me by week 3 of September.

I was contemplating between the new venge and LOOK throughout the month of July but ultimately I found the aesthetics of the LOOK to be much better although they both are great bikes.

I made some changes to the bike by switching the wheels to Lightweight Meilenstein's and also the handlebar, saddle, and chainring.

Cant wait for it to arrive and suggest you book one soon if you are hoping for a quick delivery. I was a bit put off by the 7 week wait but nothing can be done about it I was told since I insisted on the new team colors.[/quote

SOB beat me to it, I knew I shouldn't have started this thread..LOL Good stuff man congrats!

Seriously though, if you don't mind telling me what state you live in and, are putting this together yourself? Or, did you buy through a BS? Maybe we could chat privately if you don't want to give location and pricing details. Sounds like you're building a mean machine friend. Thanks for the heads up on the 7 week wait. I too want the team colors so, this definately changes my perspective. I want to switch out of the chainrings as well, any information you can share would be appreciated. I'm still split on the Skylon or LOOK but, I'll know soon enough. Enjoy your new whip mkc, and I'll be looking out for your review.

mkc

by mkc

Thanks. I live in Abu Dhabi, UAE. I'm ordering my bike from the LOOK dealer in Germany to take advantage of the weak Euro and they will be shipping it via DHL.

The shop is customizing it for me based on my specs and will put it together accordingly. The chainrings I am going for are the Q-rings 130 BCD AERO. All in all i'm expecting the bike to weigh about 13.72 lbs - 6.2 kilos based on my calculations.. For pricing and other details, I am happy to chat privately.

Personally I wouldn't compare the LOOK to the Skylon. The LOOK would be a no brainer. If i was to second guess myself it would be for the Venge or Madone.. And between those two i'd lean more towards the venge but I found the LOOK to be better looking for my taste.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@mkc that's going to be sweet man enjoy. I love the Q-rings that's what I'm looking to do also. I never rode the Skylon but it's and interesting bike to me. It's funny I just spoke with a TIME distributor who told me that Time factory is on break because in France they take the month off...viva la France! lol seems bad for business though heh?

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

My friend is selling his Aerolight frame, 8 month old, for almost half the price if you are interested?
He will ship to USA. 8)

mkc

by mkc

@tomyboy123 - what size is his frame?

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Size L.

Edenmain

by Edenmain

how much is half price?

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Edenmain wrote:how much is half price?

Do the math.... :thumbup:
1. frame http://www.look-bikes.de/rahmen/look-79 ... co9dvn3Snc
2. two chainrings http://www.look-bikes.de/look-kettenbla ... co9n_n3Snc

Edenmain

by Edenmain

Man, that is very tempting..... Has he listed it anywhere?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com