LOOK 795 or Time Skylon can't decide

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mkc

by mkc

Thanks. I just installed the ceramic speed pulley so I'm exited to know I can get q-rings on my zed3 crank. I recommend you install the oversized pulley from ceramic. It is super smooth

Daveaero wrote:
mkc wrote:Congrats! I hope you enjoy the bike as much as I currently am enjoying mine. I would be interested to know if you were able to install q-rings on the ZED 3 crank as I was told it is not possible. Lets see the pics and reviews once ready!

@mkc, it's funny, I almost get the feeling a BR review addressing this issue was to answer our inquiry on this thread. :beer chug: mate. Anyway, I have Q-rings on mine and there's no problem. However, if I chose to use QXL rings, the FD would likely need adjustment. So, if your also using the aero "Q-Rings" in the "5" position, I think Rotor says it's the equivalent to the ovality of the QXL. Which is probably why your LBS told you it's not compatible. Ironically, LOOK reps may also tell you this or that is not compatible. However, as is always the case, the devils in the details. I've seen last year model equipped with S-Works TT rings which really looked cool so, it depends. LOOK covers the label now if your using their Zed3 crank so, you'll need to look closely to identify the rings. If you use their parts you show their logos boldly seems to be their theme.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My stem finally arrived. Just waiting the look bars. Unlike most i have gone for a mechanical geoupset because the cable casing are knstalled frkm the facyory and it would seem to waste their time. Also k have a record brakeset spare so all i needed was ergo's and mechs. Like the op can't wait to get it built up. I cheaped out though and got the light version. Glad the op has deeper pockets and got the aerolight.

I went to the mechanics training session for these bikes and all i can say is i am glad the cables are installed from factory. I spent a good half hour fiting the stem as that is not fiddly. I quite like the once piece zed 3 crank. The way it is 110 or 130mm bcd and three different crank lengths by changing the position of the lobed pedal insert. I really wonder why all cranks are not like this. It is these design features that make this bike interesting. A stem that can be angled how you want and if you want to change it well that will be 6 weeks sir. So french.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daveaero

by Daveaero

@mkc i noticed that but, problem for me is i have campy RD oversized pulley is for Shimano only but, those pulley wheels might be a possibility.

@bm0p700f, honestly i wanted to light version but, it's ok. glad you got your stem. And your right with LOOK there's that "Je Nous Se Qua" you either get it or you don't. congrats

kova3023

by kova3023

Look795 purchased the product ..ZED3 crank has a crank complement the existing shortcomings.

So will a lot of patience.

Daveaero

by Daveaero

If anybody can tell me how to upload pics I will post a picture of my bike. Unfortunately, I've been a little bummed out lately but still willing to show.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Go ride it that generally sorts out feelings of being bummed out. It is why I ride every day as I never then feel down.

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

XCProMD wrote:Look might not be on TV coverage as often as other brands, but in many areas in Europe is a reputable and established brand since the early 80's and has a very strong presence so if you are in the market for a bike you'll be able to touch Looks in the flesh in a nearby LBS. That means that is difficult to go for a ride and not spot at least one.

Time is a bit more scarce but again spotting one is far from a memorable event.

Just saying this because it's worth remembering that not all markets are like America.

I just never understand why some riders are so hung up on TV coverage of a brand in Pro tour to justify the basis of their purchase decision. A high end brand like Time or Look only manufactures 20-30,000 frames a year whilst the likes of Giant pump out 6 millions plus frame a year. Sponsoring a Pro Team is a big commitment when you don't have the scale and manufacturing capacity to justify the sponsorship commitment. Doesn't necessarily mean the brand is less reliable. I always like to be the odd one out and don't like the flock mentality.
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

SLH

by SLH

I am having great difficulty (not happening) of getting my Praxis chainrings to connect securely to my Zed 3 cranks. Apparently the bolts are the wrong size, which Look knows about. However, if you purchase the Look branded Praxis chainrings, everything is OK. Of course, these chainrings appear to be in short supply in the 52/36 sizing here in Australia.

I'm hoping someone might have a solution.

Edit: CycleSuperstore in Ireland have the correct chainrings.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

i had the same issue with TA rings. The inner ring rattled. I had some fibreltye rings which fitted fine.

so fibreltyre carbon. Also they seem way more durable than I imagined. about 3000km in and they look fine.

allives0818

by allives0818

SLH wrote:I am having great difficulty (not happening) of getting my Praxis chainrings to connect securely to my Zed 3 cranks. Apparently the bolts are the wrong size, which Look knows about. However, if you purchase the Look branded Praxis chainrings, everything is OK. Of course, these chainrings appear to be in short supply in the 52/36 sizing here in Australia.

I'm hoping someone might have a solution.

oh boy, the only way to be trouble free from this problem is to use the zed3 chainrings. I have had my pro team 795 for sometime now and have tried a few chainrings other than the zed3 rings. the zed3 rings are 4mm thick compared to others which are much thinner. I finally bought the zed3 chainrings and my bike is now better than ever. I even used spacers at one point. Save yourself the trouble and get some zed3 rings.

Edit: CycleSuperstore in Ireland have the correct chainrings.

allives0818

by allives0818

oh and I' ve had the 695 before my 795 and the zed2 cranks were better. I was able to use any chainring with the zed2's. they don't look as great, but they work with most chainrings.

Also, I am still trying to figure out how the 795's epost2 can be more snug. I hate how the elastomer wears, giving the epost some for and aft play. ohband another thing, 25mm tires rub in the rear. Safe size to use is a 23mm or a 24mm. I am currently using the sworks turbo 24mm. I have seen people say they use 25mm, but I just can't seem to understand how they do without it rubbing the frame. so wide rims and wide tire setups are a no go on the 795.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have used 25mm tyres on my 795 which measure 27.5mm wide. No rub so my wheels must be stiffer than yours. It is not the tyres or the frame that is the issue.

allives0818

by allives0818

I used dura ace c50's with challange strada 25mm tires. it rubs. I now use URSUS which is narrower with 24mm no rub. can you show us a pic of the rear wheel clearance? I'm going to take my bike back to the shop and show them that I should be able to run 25mm tires. Pretty irritated cause I sold those c50's.

allives0818

by allives0818

this is the clearance with my current setup. the area in the red circle shows how the small rubber piece can't even clear the chainstay without it touching. Also, I must not that the only clearance issue is the non drive lower chainstay. the 25mm clears the drive side and the brake mount/ stays.
Attachments
24mm rear tire clearance 795.
24mm rear tire clearance 795.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com