Mechanical groupsets at it's pinnacle, ... or?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There are many discussions rolling concerning electronic shifting groupsets, lately we've seen Srams version and FSA's dito heavily debated.
Rotor has something ongoing, but if it is electronic or not remains to be seen.

What i would like to know, what do you guys expect from forthcoming (future) mechanical groupsets?

Is there anyone who believe mechanical has reached it's pinnacle and that there is nothing more to expect from mechanical systems?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

I don't think they're going away and manufacturers will still be looking for market share so there will still be "developments" how beneficial to consumers those developments are will be the real question. Up to a certain level cost will always mean mech groupsets will prevail but that level will likely come down. At the top end there is currently a significant price difference between electric and mech, unless this changes there will always be a market for high end mech groups. Stiffer, better shifting , Lighter weight....

Stueys

by Stueys

I think the development now will be in electronic. Ultimately electronic will always top mechanical in terms of shifting and maintenance requirements (adjustment for stretch), hence I think the emphasis will be on developing electronic to appeal to a broader price point and mechanical will slowly be edged out. It won't happen anytime soon though but the development cash will be spent on the digital stuff.

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I agree with the above, I think mechanical will always be around as it'll be cheaper to produce and maintain, but I think electronic will slowly take over.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

No doubt that companies will focus on developing electronic groupsets, but I truely believe that mechanical will still get some love. There are still purists out there that will prefer the mechanical feel more than electronic. Just look at the peloton today where some riders stick to mechanical groupsets even though they could get electronic. One could imagine that when electronic trickles down to entry level groupsets, the companies will make high end mechanical groupsets.

The really interesting thing will be how electronic groups will evolve. As it is today, it's electronic managing a mechanical setup. If we put on sci-fi glasses, we could be seing bikes with no mechanical parts to create the ultimate WW bike. Imagine a bike with no cassette, no chain etc.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Broady

by Broady

I know this is a question that probably gets asked every generation of groupset, but how do you feel improvements could be made on mechanical Dura Ace 9000 or Super Record? They're both pretty amazing and light at the moment.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have no suggestions on that matter! But i must say, i am more curious on what they do on the mechanical groupsets than the electronic groupsets.
So let's say Shimano came out with an all new mechanical groupset, i would be more "wow" on that, than Sram wireless.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

dcurzon

by dcurzon

nah, its day has passed. There is no point in throwing money at developing olde worlde equipment. Electronic will drop in price rapidly. Current generations are priced to consider the high cost of initial R&D. That has now been done and over the coming generations it will be all about refinement on the hardware and improvement on the software/user experience. Think along the lines of HUD.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

How can it have passed? It is easier to maintain. When is it something happening that you can't fix with simple tools?
No PC or such, no servomotors, no bugs or shortcuts.
Ofcourse it is always interesting if any new invenstions appear, especially in mechanical if you'd ask me :D
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

AJS914

by AJS914

Fundamentally, the groups haven't changed since 8 speed. They add gears, change the shape of the levers, tweak here and there, shave weight, but all the concepts are exactly the same. I upgraded all my bikes to 11 speed campagnolo mostly because I loved the ergonomics of the new levers.
Last edited by AJS914 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Someday, someone has got to come out with a better system than the crude derailleur and chain systems we have today. Think light weight, variable transmission with high efficiency and no exposed chain (or no chain). Impossible? Maybe.
Last edited by MikeDee on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcurzon

by dcurzon

wheelsONfire wrote:How can it have passed? It is easier to maintain. When is it something happening that you can't fix with simple tools?

Its had its day, as in, there is no need for further investment in development. It'll still be around, for some time to come, but i cant see the top manufacturers spending on it.

superdx

by superdx

The basic mechanism of pulling a cable and forcing the derailleur to shift is pretty much done. The only improvements that are going to be coming are just lighter components and tweaks. I don't think you could even call it evolutionary at this point.

However for electronic it feels like the scene is just getting started. Di2 is damn reliable but Shimano won't be sitting still with SRAM and FSA coming out with their own offerings.

ak47

by ak47

I think we will see maybe two new generations of the mechanical groupsets (like two future Dura-Ace groups) and then it will be dead as the prices for the electronic groups will go down and be almost on par with mechanical groups, there will be less and less demand for the mechanical groups. Oh, and all the early day problems with electronic grouppos will be gone by that moment. So finally they will be extinct, I am sure of that. Maybe in a decade for top of the line road groupsets.

Same thing that happened with the manual gearboxes in supercars. They could still make them, but the demand was so low (a lot lower than 10% for some Ferraris) it didn't make sense to develop them and maintain service crew trained to service manuals.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Having a SR11 mechanical and SR EPS, I can say for certain, mechanical is not easier to maintain. Constant minor adjustments and making certain there was no additional drag on the cables was a monthly chore. With EPS, I do have to charge it, but that is about it. Perfect shift every time [dirty or not].

Maybe the way the cables are routed could of made it easier, but with the same frame/handlebars, I have no issues with the EPS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com