Mechanical groupsets at it's pinnacle, ... or?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

There is also a lot of elegance with a homing pigeon or morse code. You can't fault technology just to fault it. I use to be in the camp that I would only ride mechanical. Now after riding Shimano Di2, I have it on 3 of my bikes and still have mechanical on the other 3 bikes. I won't get rid of the mechanical bikes, but if I ever add to the quiver it most likely wouldn't be another mechanical groupset. Di2 just works so flawlessly. Every single time. That is what I want out of my bike. I want it to work 100% every time I use it. Sure mechanical might be more 'elegant' but to me it isn't better nor more refined. But to each his own.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Yes...each to their own...

I'm not a luddite, I just don't change for the sake of change...I might update one day if wireless takes over...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

53x12 wrote:There is also a lot of elegance with a homing pigeon or morse code. You can't fault technology just to fault it.

There's no elegance to either of those...your just reaching to ridicule and make a point there...

I don't fault technology, I just don't see faults with mechanical...

53x12

by 53x12

Wingnut wrote:There's no elegance to either of those...your just reaching to ridicule and make a point there...

Sure there is. Simplicity. No need for fancy technology. Anyone with a basic understanding can use them. Cheap. No dependence on a telecommunications company. Lots of reasons to say they are more 'elegant' as they are more simple in design than cell phones. Same reason given by some that mechanical is more elegant than Di2.

Wingnut wrote:I don't fault technology, I just don't see faults with mechanical...

There are pros and cons to everything. Yes, even mechanical has faults.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gravity

by gravity

Mannn i'd like to have Di2 on my bike but my frame doesn't take electronic groupset.

That being said the progression of electronic groupset is also heavily depended on the frame manufacturer too. Most of the 105 equipped stock bike don't come with Di2 ready.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

There will always be room for improvement in both systems; I hope to see both mechanical and e-drivetrains evolve.

Last weekend I planned on riding my EPS equipped bike. I pulled the magnet and the led went red indicating low battery life. So out came mechanical. Until electronic is self charging, I have a need for mechanical.

I hope mechanical groups continue to evolve. YMMV

Wingnut

by Wingnut

53x12 wrote:
Wingnut wrote:There's no elegance to either of those...your just reaching to ridicule and make a point there...

Sure there is. Simplicity. No need for fancy technology. Anyone with a basic understanding can use them. Cheap. No dependence on a telecommunications company. Lots of reasons to say they are more 'elegant' as they are more simple in design than cell phones. Same reason given by some that mechanical is more elegant than Di2.

Wingnut wrote:I don't fault technology, I just don't see faults with mechanical...

There are pros and cons to everything. Yes, even mechanical has faults.

You are being obtuse using morse code and pigeons as an example...by your argument we should therefore be content riding bicycles from the era of F.Coppi?

Yes there are faults with both mechanical and electronic...

airwise

by airwise

I'll stick with mechanical as it does everything the electronic does but more simply with less to go wrong and need replacing.

I'll think about changing when there's a compelling reason to do so. An automatic transmission might well make me move.

nickl

by nickl

I'm going to be a bit different and say that in 15 years we'll only see mechanical at the high end, for people who really want it.

Someone said that mechanical groupsets work like clockwork, and I think that is a perfect example. The market for mechanical watches has mostly been destroyed by electronic because electronic is so much more reliable.

Some people will want it, and there will be suppliers for them, but it will be expensive and not as good in any measurable way.

excel11

by excel11

I do not know what this means or if it adds anything. Vincenzo Nibali still rides mechanical.
What happened to you after you fell? - Steve Porino
"I got back up and started chasing" - Geraint Thomas

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Any part may break at the wrong time [remember the last flat tire?]. It would not matter if it is electronic or not.

As for electronics not aging, I rarely see anyone building/riding a bike with 15 year components. Used bike parts wear out and with Shimano, get thrown away. Campy is less so, but the cost of the parts usually means it gets shelved.

Lots of comments of electrical vs mechanical, but few with any substance.

Multebear

by Multebear

All you guys who prefer mechanical, have you actually tried electronic? Not for 1 or 2 rides. Have you owned electronics for so lang, that you had to charge it and switched wheels a couple of times?

My point isn't, that if you haven't tried it properly, you don't know what you're talking about. My point is, that when you have something, that works - your mechanical groupset - you're thinking, why would I pay more, for something, that does the same thing. But when you try it properly, you realize, that even though a mechanical groupset works fine, there's actually something out there, that does it so much better.

There's always someone claiming, I like the feel of mechanical. For me it's a question of result. Does it shift everytime - yes it does. I never missed a shift, never lost the chain - and that counts for both front an rear mech. And I'm done with adjusting gears when switching wheels - thank god.

53x12

by 53x12

Wingnut wrote:You are being obtuse using morse code and pigeons as an example...by your argument we should therefore be content riding bicycles from the era of F.Coppi?

Yes there are faults with both mechanical and electronic...

No need for ad hominem when we can just discuss this like grown men.

The common argument that I hear for mechanical over electronic is that mechanical is more "simple," is more "elegant," is more "at the heart of cycling," harkens back to the heritage of cycling, is more romantic...etc. Sure maybe it is all those things. But again if we use communication as an analogy, messenger pigeons and morse code are definitely more "simple" more "elegant" than modern day internet and cell phones that are complex and rely on multiple other systems.

There are some that are content on riding bicycles from the era of F. Coppi. There are some that are content with riding in wool kits. There are some that are content in riding single speeds. But to state that something cycling related is better because it is more "simple" or more "elegant" but then ignore that principle in other things is a bit strange to me.

Just as carbon fiber has taken over the industry and relegated steel to a small niche market, I think there is a strong chance electronic will take over the industry and relegate mechanical to a small niche market.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Does anyone know a lifetime cycle of a mechanical system and an electronic system?

Multebear, i understand your point and no, i have not owned electronic. I still can't stop thinking of if something happens.
At the moment i am down to crashing or puncture. That is what i guess could mess things up.
I see no problem that could happen down the road which i can't solve.

Maybe it is that i am ruled by a certain fear. Fear of things happening which complicate things. Ofocurse i understand that when electric system works like clockwork, it works.
I am merely wondering what happens if something do happen.

I am in no hurry with changes. I have two bikes with DA 9000. Well, I only use shifters and RD/FD, rest is other brands.
I shift alot, i really do and i still have no idea what i could miss or do miss.

I see that one Di2 9070 upgrade kit cost me as much as 3 sets of STI 9001 with RD and FD.

I have no clue what to expect talking wear from either mech or electronic.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Don't want this thread to turn into a battle between mech vs electric, but this is just typical something i am afraid of
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133863
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com