Mechanical groupsets at it's pinnacle, ... or?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

You can use Shimano/SRAM 11s cassettes on Campy groups and vice versa, so it's already universal. Neutral service wouldn't work otherwise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

Would be good to see some research put into wide range lightweight gearboxes.

Marin

by Marin

Gearboxes will always be too heavy and sap too much energy to catch on for sports bicycles.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Marin wrote:You can use Shimano/SRAM 11s cassettes on Campy groups and vice versa, so it's already universal. Neutral service wouldn't work otherwise.
While the cassettes themselves may work on each other's drive trains, you cannot put a campy cassette on a Shimano free hub or put a Shimano/SRAM cassette on a campy free hub. So not quite as universal as it could be. In other words, you can't just pull off your campy cassette and slap on a SRAM/Shimano cassette without also changing the freehub.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Marin wrote:You can use Shimano/SRAM 11s cassettes on Campy groups and vice versa, so it's already universal. Neutral service wouldn't work otherwise.

Worked fine all the time 10 speed, which was different, was the standard.

Camilo

by Camilo

I am currently using a Shimano 8 speed cassette with Campy 8 speed indexed (DT) shifters and it's perfect. I've never installed the JTek Shiftmate I bought for the application. I forgot to install it, rode the bike, and didn't think of the Shiftmate until I'd been riding it for a couple of weeks. DOH! I don't know if it would work vice versa though.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

as I've seen-experienced: campy x speed shifts shimano x speed, but not vice versa (at least up to 10).

so, 8spd campag is perfect on 8spd shimano, 9spd campy copes with a 9spd sh casssette, and 10 spd campag shifts quite reasonably on a 10spd shimano cassette.

But vice versa? nayway. THe 11spd is different breed though, due to the very minor difference between the spacing.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/M ... Dimensions

I regret buying campag wheelsets now, due to the fact that the drivetrain would happily cope with shimano-sram cassettes as well, which are readily available and sometimes in wider choice of ratios.. :)

XCProMD

by XCProMD

beanbiken wrote:Not sure if this has been spoken of earlier in the thread but cars can have a CVT [constant variable transmisson] so why not bikes? I would expect that that would involve a drive belt rather than chain which in it's self adds it's own set of problems to be overcome.

nuVinci has a CVT system for bicycles. Heavy as hell.

CVT's involve heavy solid components or inertial counterweights. Both things you don't want in your performance rig.

And that is the transmission mechanism, but still the controls can be mechanical or electronic.

Delorre

by Delorre

vejnemojnen wrote:THe 11spd is different breed though, due to the very minor difference between the spacing.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/M ... Dimensions

I regret buying campag wheelsets now, due to the fact that the drivetrain would happily cope with shimano-sram cassettes as well, which are readily available and sometimes in wider choice of ratios.. :)

There's absolutely no problem running a DA 11 cassette on campy 11 speed groupset, or vice versa. There are some minor spacing differences, but so minor you don't notice in all day use. I'm running a Campy Record cassette on a 9070 grouppo, and it's fine.

wingguy

by wingguy

beanbiken wrote:Not sure if this has been spoken of earlier in the thread but cars can have a CVT [constant variable transmisson] so why not bikes? I would expect that that would involve a drive belt rather than chain which in it's self adds it's own set of problems to be overcome.

I believe that CVTs incur much higher frictional losses than normal transmissions. (As well as weight.)

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

Effigear has done some really interesting work on lightweight internal gearboxes, but lightweight, efficient CVTs remain a bit of a pipe dream.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Mechanical is here to stay for a while...whatever upgrades occur will be incremental from now on I gather...

Any big changes will be in electronic with wireless or automation etc...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Seen here on it's own thread, but here it is again....
http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/08/13/pat ... -shifting/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

What would be the advantage of hydraulic? It sounds like a huge PITA.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol... Great question @AJS914. Can't believe no one's asked it yet. Not saying the developers don't have their reasons, but do we really need another way of doing the same thing. It had better provide huge advantages over both mechanical and electric or I would think they are traveling a very steep uphill road to market acceptance.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com