Mechanical groupsets at it's pinnacle, ... or?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

One advantage is the ability to have multiple shifter controls. Good for stuff like time trial bars. Electronic can do that but mechanical cannot.
The article had both hydraulic and mechanical. This new mechanical tech might be able to have remote shifters.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

With most "negatives" around mechanical group sets related to cable stretch I never understood why there wasn't more R&D in the cables - perhaps even having them come "pre-stretched" out of the box.

GooseNest

by GooseNest

Cables don't actually stretch. People say that, but what is really happening is that the housing and cables "settle" into each other and the frame. You get symptoms of cable stretch but that isn't really whats happening. There really isn't anything you can do about it other than take extra time setting the housing when building a bike.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

@GooseNest I've always suspected that was the case. Thanks for that!

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Thx Goosenet.

I had no idea

GooseNest

by GooseNest

I should revise what I said. Maybe over a long period of time (think the life of cables, so thousands of miles) the cables might stretch a very very little bit. Nothing a quarter turn of a barrel adjuster wouldn't fix. But the stretch people talk about when first building a bike isn't actually stretch, that is housing settling in. Like when a bike shop says to bring a new bike in after a month to adjust for cable stretch, that is stretch I am referring to. And this only applies to any decent cables. Super low end cables probably do stretch.