Veloflex Corsa on Lightweight Meilenstein clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rosuch

by rosuch

I just bought my first set of Lightweights, Meilenstein clinchers and prior to mounting the tires, Veloflex Corsa 23s, read on the box that they shouldn't be mounted on Carbon Rims. Has anyone used the tires on the rims and what has been your experience?

Other preferred tires?

Thank you

fa63

by fa63

I have been using them on Reynolds carbon clinchers for about two years, no issues at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Same, I use Veloflex Masters (very similar tire) on carbon clinchers with no issues for many many miles.

They just advise against it because a carbon rim is more likely to have jagged edges along the bead of the rim that could cut the softer sidewall

I would just rub your fingers along the insides of the rim, if you feel a bit of a rough spot grab some fine sandpaper and smooth it out.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I'm using them on Campag Bora Ultra 50s with no problems whatsoever. In fact I've won two races on them!

gilco

by gilco

is perfect for LW

jb

by jb

No is not perfect for the Meilensteins,i used 3 Veloflex Corsa's and of all the 3 tires the side bead tore.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I have used them on Lightweights with no problems. In fact, have a set on there right now.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

no problems here for last two years. both sets have them on there wheels

kode54

by kode54

i'm using them on Enve SES 3.4. no issues.

and i've had a set on Lightweights Gen III
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I had a front blow out with a Corsa on a Bora One. Related to the issue? Im not sure. It wasn't worth the risk, so I put them on my alum wheels.
Instagram @seanblurr

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There have actually been quite a lot of documented failures of veloflex clinchers when used on carbon rims, which is why they now say don't use with....

Just because people say they've had no problems, doesn't make it right, and also you have to ask does their riding location/style etc bare any resemblance to yours?
Official cafe stop tester

TonyM

by TonyM

As I bought my LW Meilenstein Clincher for my C60 this year, I switched from the Vittoria Corsa to the Veloflex Corsa because if the weight, the km and the puncture resistance. I currently have the 25mm on the LW. After a few thousand km, I really don't regret it. Will keep riding the Veloflex Corsa. Maybe only trying at one point a combo 23/25 on the Meilenstein. Maybe.

Actually I wasn't aware of this mention from Veloflex ! Cannot really understand it as nowadays so many riders have carbon rims.....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

sharkman

by sharkman

If I would live in the US I would also question every warning text on the package. A lot of Items sold there come with the most hilarious warnings just in case some idiot tries it and sues the firm for not telling so.
Veloflex is from Italy and since the warning text is on the package in more than just English you can safely say that that there is a reason for it, since companies want to sell and a warning won't exactly boost sakes.
I never had bad luck with veloflex on carbon rims, but spoke to a few owners that weren't so lucky.
So if you want to take the risk use them but a blowout can damage your Meilensteins and it's up to you if you think that acceptable.

rosuch

by rosuch

Thanks all. With my luck, I will have bought tires that blowout and being that it took me some time to finally pull the trigger on LWs, I'm playing save and going to put the Corsas on my Shamals. I do appreciate all of the feedback. I thought that the warning was odd and while it might be there to cover themselves, I doubt that any company would add that to their product if it hasn't happened at least a few times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

izza

by izza

I recently melted the bead on a pair of Conti GP4000s on a pair of DA 9000 C24's.

There are risks with all wheel / tyre combinations. No specific issue with carbon that is bigger except for some rough edges. Check before putting tyre on.