What is the best quality 30(+) section road tire??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

That's the question...

What is the best 30+ section tire for weight and grip for road now?

Anyone??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

Hi Charles,

I haven't tried them yet but I do have some 32mm Conti Grand Prix 4 seasons on order. They are to replace some Clement X'Plor USH 35mm 120 TPI on my Speedvagen Rugged Road.

I have never tried another tire on this bike, but the Clement's seem kind of Harsh even at 60PSI - if I go below that they get too mushy.

I'm hoping as a proper Road tire the Conti's are more Supple.
Last edited by morrisond on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juanacity

by juanacity

Conti gp4000s II 700x28 measured 29.8 and 29.9 f and r on the first day I inflated them mounted on shimano rs80 c24 wheelset. Used Vittoria 700x25-28 latex tubes. Can't imagine you are going to get anything much better grip, weight, ride quality, etc. from other tires. On a wider rim I expect they would be 30+.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Check out the Challenge Paris Roubaix. 280tpi IIRC very nice tire that rides like silk but is actually pretty durable. The size is 27mm as marked but when mounted and inflated they usually measure 31-33mm on a wider rim (like Zipp firecrest)

Excellent all around tire. You'll be hard pressed to find many bad reviews on them.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Ah, the Conti's sound good...

I have 27 section Vittoria Pave on another, but H have a frame building up that has BIG clearance... I absolutely want to go 30+... I'm running them on wide rims to boot, but I want that extra size stand alone, before mounting.

djwalker

by djwalker

I use the Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite. It is available in sizes up to 32mm. I use the 30mm which measure 32 on my wide rims. Great traction and zero flats despite many miles of terrible gravel roads.

ergott

by ergott

Compass variety? I've heard nothing but good things about them, but can't comment from personal experience.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CulBaire

by CulBaire

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Check out the Challenge Paris Roubaix. 280tpi IIRC very nice tire that rides like silk but is actually pretty durable. The size is 27mm as marked but when mounted and inflated they usually measure 31-33mm on a wider rim (like Zipp firecrest)

Excellent all around tire. You'll be hard pressed to find many bad reviews on them.

I don't mind the Challenge tires, they ride quite nicely however I have had issues with the tread coming away from the casing on a few. :noidea:

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

well I suppose thats a less-than-optimal result :?

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I've been looking at a set of Compass Stampede Pass for a while now. Very light in the Extralight casing for the size, assuming the claimed weights are accurate. But they are pretty hard to get ahold of in the UK, so haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

oks527, last time I checked Specialized did not produce any 'S Works' model tire over 28mm.

I have had good luck the Challenge fat clinchers so far, but there are certainly lighter options out there.
(For reference on a thinner tire, my Challenge Paris Roubaix clinchers in 27mm were 319 grams a piece, and yes, the 27mm did run fatter but did not measure over 30mm when inflated in my case.)
The Compass tires appear to have some lighter versions in each model.

LloydP

by LloydP

I've been looking at similar size tires and found there were well regarded options from Compass, Grand Bois, Challenge, Rivendell, Soma, and Vittoria. Obviously, take every review with liberal seasoning!
Still haven't put my money where my mouth is, but I'll most likely be getting some Vittoria Voyager Hypers as I can get them very cheap at the moment

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

CharlesM wrote:What is the best 30+ section tire for weight and grip for road now?

I'd give these a look. 32mm, and the extralite is 254g.

formerly rruff...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Challenge strava branchi for me. At 30 mm on 25mm wide rims I can run them at 60 psi. Did Paris roubaix on this year and at all the pace I could mange on the cobbles they gave me an almost comfortable ride. On normal roads the ride is sublime. The conti will be good too. I like the schwable one tubeless 25mm tyre. This is 25mm on wide rims and the ride well oh my I think it's good on the challenge tyres. I barely notice potholes no joke.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com