SWorks Allez lateral stiffness problem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I wonder what is the fatigue life of that frame. If the flex is close to any of the welds, the TIG dressing is not going to be enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I would be very surprised if fatigue played a part in my issue. This is not my primary or even secondary bike - I must have used it the sum total of 20times, if that. Spoke to Spec again today - it's going back.
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

53x12

by 53x12

^ When you say it is going back, do you mean as a warranty? As a return? Selling it back to the LBS as a used bike?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

To be confirmed. The first stage of the process is that it has to go back to Spec to see if it's been damaged. Not sure how long that takes but following that I'm not sure at the moment. Will keep you posted.

Horze

by Horze

Your frame isn't damaged. I'd wager that they aren't going to find anything wrong with it.
This frame defo flexes but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Frame is still plenty stiff and mind you the flex that is there is also what makes this frame comfortable to ride.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

greentimgreen wrote:To be confirmed. The first stage of the process is that it has to go back to Spec to see if it's been damaged. Not sure how long that takes but following that I'm not sure at the moment. Will keep you posted.

Any updates on this yet?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Thanks for asking -yes. I found an LBS that had the same frame built in the same size built with SRAM red - albeit with DT Swiss wheels. We put both frames on the stand, test drove both, swapped wheels over, and came to the conclusion that...it's not unique to my frame.

Interestingly the shop also had an SWorks Tarmac, and tested side by side, the stiffness is like night and day. It's really quite striking.

Anyway, long story short, the LBS offered me a good price to PartEx against a Tarmac, but I'm just going to sell separately. Found a C60 in my size, in Italia White (my favourite colour way bar the pink - which I don't have the guts to buy!) and it's done - being built up as we speak.

Overall I just didn't get on with the SWorks allez, probably due to my riding style more than anything else. It's a great, light and robust frame, but I missed the stiffness that carbon provides.

sharkman

by sharkman

Nothing to do with the alloy but far more with the Allez design. Tested two and wondered how easy it was to rub the brake tracks (front and back while sprinting), for example the Caad 10 in the comparison doen's do it so it all up to the design department of Specialized.
The thing about the pro's (reals climbers) loosening their rear brakes might be true but most of us mortals won't be able to generate that kind of power uphill and is no argument in de Allez flexing.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

greentimgreen wrote:Thanks for asking -yes. I found an LBS that had the same frame built in the same size built with SRAM red - albeit with DT Swiss wheels. We put both frames on the stand, test drove both, swapped wheels over, and came to the conclusion that...it's not unique to my frame.

Interestingly the shop also had an SWorks Tarmac, and tested side by side, the stiffness is like night and day. It's really quite striking.

Anyway, long story short, the LBS offered me a good price to PartEx against a Tarmac, but I'm just going to sell separately. Found a C60 in my size, in Italia White (my favourite colour way bar the pink - which I don't have the guts to buy!) and it's done - being built up as we speak.

Overall I just didn't get on with the SWorks allez, probably due to my riding style more than anything else. It's a great, light and robust frame, but I missed the stiffness that carbon provides.

Isn't the Tarmac is stiffer than the C60?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I would think so, but the C60 is certainly stiffer than the Allez I had!

53x12

by 53x12

Hopefully you can re-coup some of the money for the S-Works Allez frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

em3

by em3

To OP, it appears the issue you describe has been a known issue, and Spec has just released a fix...?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/special ... on-carbon/

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

@ em3 thanks for the note - very interesting, I had assumed the new Allez was only designed for aero, not improved stiffness. Makes sense! Still, I'm looking forward to my C60 now!

53x12

by 53x12

Green, I think it addresses your stiffness issue as it uses the DSW tubing for the bottom bracket along with the heat tube. The old E5 only used the DSW for the headtube if I remember correctly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

That's true. Seemed to me that the majority of the flex was coming from the bottom bracket and rear triangle. I'd be interested to try the Allez Sprint, but for now, "I'm out" when it comes to alu frames.