Maximum Braking Power with Sram Red Levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

What calipers will give me maximum braking power with minimum hand effort? I have three bikes with Red and I find the Red calipers while excellent, require a bit harder squeeze then Ultegra 6600/6700 (with Red levers) to achieve similar deceleration - a bit more flex in the Red caliper I assume. This got me thinking that I could do even better.

This is for my travel bike so it sees a lot of mountains and nasty descending. Over the years I have been in more than a few places where it was nice to stop and rest my hands, and this summer I was on a number of descents in Italy where you absolutely could not let the bike go. Extended 10 - 20% corkscrew/switchback mayhem on a rough surface. Wicked stuff and brutal on the hands and forearms.

I wonder if going to Ultegra 6800 or some recent Dura Ace that requires more cable pull would give me more force at the rim with less effort at the hand. I don't mind a longer lever throw as long as it is within reason. Anybody happy with a setup like this or have other suggestions?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tmchen

by tmchen

EE Brakes if you have the cash. Tested a set and although excellent, it was too much for my pockets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I had heard EE were on a par with Dura Ace but no better and a bit trickier to set up. Regardless, I prefer to go mainstream on my travel bike. The poor thing sees a lot of angry baggage handlers on the verge of a labour dispute. And not that EE suffer from lack of reliability, but I absolutely cannot afford any type of failure in the middle of nowhere. Also as you point out the price is a bit silly.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TimmS

by TimmS

Dura ace or EE and I think you've already made the decision :wink:

clipsed

by clipsed

Hydraulic disc front brake with a new fork !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

EE with sram red here. I didn't find them hard to set up and i don't even think about them when i travel every month with my bike. Power and modulation is great even with my carbon wheels running cork pads. I never feel like i have to squeeze the lever what i would consider hard to achieve safe braking on a downhill. I was using planet x calipers before, which are inferior to the EE. No experience with DA or sram calipers.