Campagnolo Bora one tubular 50mm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ricky66

by Ricky66

Hi I am new to this post. I have bought a second hand pair of Campagnolo Bora one Tubular wheels and fixed on a Vitorria Corsa Elite 23-28 tubes. I have used the Tufo extreme tape but I am not happy with the way it has stuck on. I am not confident that it has stuck properly on the edges and worry that this may roll off. I have tried to roll them off by hand but seem to be securely stuck.
I have measured the outer rim and see its about 20mm, where the tubes I am mounting are 23mm.
can anybody help me out on this issue. the last thing I want is to ride on them and have a nasty accident. for info, I weigh about 105 kg never had an issue with other clincher wheelsets, but wanted to try out tubulars for their high pressure acceptance and low rolling resistance. do I need to use a thinner tube so it sits perfectly on the rim?
I have pics to show my query but do not know how to insert them on this post. could someone show me how to do it so you can see my problem. as the say a pic is more valid than words.
thanks for your help.

em3

by em3

Welcome to the forum.

First, if you bought a used set of tubulars with tires installed by someone else, STOP, pull off the tires and start the process over yourself. Do not ride tubular wheels that you (or a trusted mechanic) have not verified are safe. You already indicated you are leery of the glue job...'nuff said..

Second, at 105 Kg, dump the tape and use Mastik.

Third, this forum is chock full of amazing knowledge...take the time to look around, use the search bar, and find answers to many questions already contained in many threads. In your case, start the process by reading "the tubular thread"....the most comprehensive source for gluing tubulars on the internet: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=72309

EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Great advice. Ditch the tape, buy some Mastik, and read the tubular thread!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Timujin

by Timujin

Ricky66 wrote:Hi I am new to this post. I have bought a second hand pair of Campagnolo Bora one Tubular wheels and fixed on a Vitorria Corsa Elite 23-28 tubes. I have used the Tufo extreme tape but I am not happy with the way it has stuck on. I am not confident that it has stuck properly on the edges and worry that this may roll off. I have tried to roll them off by hand but seem to be securely stuck.
I have measured the outer rim and see its about 20mm, where the tubes I am mounting are 23mm.
can anybody help me out on this issue. the last thing I want is to ride on them and have a nasty accident. for info, I weigh about 105 kg never had an issue with other clincher wheelsets, but wanted to try out tubulars for their high pressure acceptance and low rolling resistance. do I need to use a thinner tube so it sits perfectly on the rim?
I have pics to show my query but do not know how to insert them on this post. could someone show me how to do it so you can see my problem. as the say a pic is more valid than words.
thanks for your help.

re: pics. use a site like photobucket, upload them and then you insert the link here :-)

re: Bora. Use glue. Be patient with the process and read around here. 23mm are fine, i run vittoria 23mm on my tubular never had an issue.

Ricky66

by Ricky66

Thanks Gents,
Really appreciate your advices. I will change to mastik, I think this will give me more piece of mind. I'll try to post the photos so you can see exactly what I meant.
Thanks again.