bike tools and stuff

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goldielox

by goldielox

looking to get a new air floor pump, not one that mounts to frame. the stand up kind. what is a good one to get. what are you using to hold your tools when you are at a race or when you need to take them with you. i've seen box's to brief case's

eric

by eric

I like the Lezyne Steel Drive floor pump. Heavier and cheaper than their aluminium floor pumps but more durable. But there are many good floor pumps.

I put a plastic tool box in the car when I go to races. The kind that you'd keep at home filled with hammers and pliers. It's stocked with tubes, a spare tire, and various bike tools I might need at a race.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I went through 2 Lyzene pumps. A steel drive and an alloy drive. All of them broke gauges within the first six months. I replaced them multiple times. Lyzene was pretty good about warranty with them. I finally got tired of replacing gauges every few months and bought JensonUSA Hi-Polish Floor Pump. I've had the JensonUSA pump for a little over a year without any issues and it works great.

As for a tool box, I use a 5 gallon bucket with a husky tool bag (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Bucket ... /205171909). It works great. Has a lot of pockets and it's cheap. It does fall over easy in my car. I buckle it in the back seat so it's stable.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

bombertodd wrote: I buckle it in the back seat so it's stable.

safety first :lol:

I'm pretty picky with my tool setup. At home I have a pegboard wall setup in the garage. Traveling I have a larger tool roll I put in the bag with the rest of my gear (shoes/bottles/etc.) You can roll it out when you need it and they keep tools organized even when you're working on your bike. Before leaving home I try to get my bike as dialed in as possible before I leave to minimize the risk of any major repair or service I need on my bike.

Regarding floor pumps, you want metal construction for durability. The price difference compared to cheap plastic ones will be worth it when it doesn't break. Also look for tripod bases which are much more stable than two-footed pumps even on unstable ground. If you have mostly road bikes, a low volume high pressure pump (rated to at least 160psi) will get your tires up to pressure faster. After this it's a matter of budget and brand preference. :beerchug:

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I have a Specialized Airtool Pro in the garage and an Airtool Sport in the back of the van. Haven't had any issues with either.

I sue a cheapy plastic toolbox for taking to races with just some tools I might need, hex keys, Torx keys, spanners, chain tool and a few others.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador