Shimano Rear Derailleur Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jrock457

by jrock457

Hi everyone,

Quick question. Would it be possible to remove the cage from a Shimano 6800 GS RD and put it on the Dura Ace 9000 rear derailleur?

I would like to use the DA 9000 rear with a 11-32 cassette and that is why I am asking this question. I have read on the fourm of people having success with the short cage and 11-32 cassette but I am afraid of something going wrong, which would be my luck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

There are two possible reasons that it might not work.
First, you exceed the capacity of largest cog. It effects the distance between the higher pulley and the biggest cog on the cassette.
Solution? If your bike has a long derailleur hanger, upper pulley will move downwards so it won't be a problem.

Second is the derailleur capacity. They decide the capacity to a certain number, so when you cross your chain as Big-Big and Small-Small (Chainring-Cassette Cog) there won't be any slack chain or lack of chain link in the system.
Because you exceed that limit too, you should cut your chain in a certain way. You will either cut the chain long, will be able to use Big-Big combo or the other way around.

So, in theory, there is no reason for it to not work. Just some details to consider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record