Zipp Super 9 Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teakay

by teakay

Anyone out their used one? If so how have you found it? Worth the extra bucks over other clincher options. Currently looking for a new rear wheel to fit a Scott Plasma 3. I know a few of Scott's Pro triathletes used the Super 9 in a Plasma 3. I understand thin brake blocks might be needed. Guessing aero difference over the standard Hed Jet disc is minimal (think jet plus disc just catches chainstays).

(ps. Yes I know tubs are great but have limited time these days if I puncture at weekend to clean and reglue tub for next event)

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

I have the tub version, it doesn't get to its widest 29 mm until halfway to the axle rather than sub 9 and hed discs with the rim bulge near the brake track. It does start at ~26.5mm at the brake track so trimming the brake blocks may give better clearance and modulation in the rear brake. Mine is in an old P3C so no real issues here! Probably the lightest all carbon clincher disc around? Although that's rarely a real issue in TTs (although this is WW!) They are very stiff and easy to wrench.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teakay

by teakay

Thanks , think citec do a lighter clincher disc, but have never seen any data on their newer wider model. So have been clooking at hed and zipp with their more tested aero results

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I was considering one... ~2k new.. 1500 used.. have not seen any aero data, other then Zipp claim to be the fastest. Ended up with a Jet Plus at roughly half the cost of a new Super9
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I have a Super 9 clincher on a BMC TM01. I went for a clincher knowing I am getting a clincher. It works really good. I had to replace the stock BMC brake pad holders as rubbing was an issue. All worked out great and I really enjoy the setup. The brakes grab perfectly, modulation is very good and wheel removal/remounting is not an issue without brake tension adjustment. I use Schwalbe IRONMAN 22mm clinchers on them (rear and front on FireCrest 808) and like them just fine. Not scientific data here but for short distance TTs running them at 105-110 with latex gives great roll and relatively supple and smooth ride. The hub free-play (on Super 9) has to be adjusted more often than on any other wheels I've owned. This is the first and only disc I've used so I have not much of a comparison.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

teakay

by teakay

Thanks for the info. Currently using latex inner tubes in my Swiss sides hadrons agree they give a great ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com