Bar tape finishing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Hi Guys,

New to doing my own bar tape, I've noticed some people have a super clean edge on the edges of the tape on the tops of the bars, so I had a look at this and seems after applying insulation tape the idea is to cut off the excess with a stanly blade? I'm sure this will scratch the bar tops so I'm wondering how everyone does it without causing any damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

You need to taper the end of the tape when you finish, so that you can get a straight finish without building up tape. Scissors, knife.. I prefer scissors. I then apply electrical tape. Ensure that the electrical tape adheres to itself! I apply 3-4 rounds and always start a little bit tight, so that there is no way the tape will loosen with use.

djconnel

by djconnel

Just saw a guy use string (tightly wound version) and shellac to finish off his tape, instead of electrical tape. It looked super-classy and it won't lose adhesion over time. I'm sure it's a bit heavier though.

PJCM

by PJCM

To start with I mark where I want the bar tape to stop with pieces of electrical tape placed at equal distances from the stem. This is only temporary so masking tape or anything else will do.

I run the bar tape past where I want it to stop (following the same wrapping angle) and then mark the both sides of the tape where they first and last touch that point. I then unwrap the tape and make the diagonal cut between those two marks with some sharp scissors. Retrace your wrapping and you'll get a perfect square edge.

I find the finishing tapes included with bar tape is usually pretty useless so use 2-3 turns of electrical tape. Even electrical tape quality varies a bit and can come loose or shift, so I use either Scotch or Nitto which stays put.

Automotive trim tape also works well if you want something thinner.

Marin

by Marin

A real conoisseur (read: not me) will also make sure the electrical tape doesn't touch the bars.

gilco

by gilco

benzebub

by benzebub

I'm a big big fan of using a strip of cotton bar tape on the end. looks super clean and "high end"

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -tape.html
But I could be wrong

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Thanks guys I'll give it a go and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bura

by bura

Never saw or done it but I would like to see it done with a copper wire and some tiny braze point under the bars.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Marin wrote:A real conoisseur (read: not me) will also make sure the electrical tape doesn't touch the bars.

x 1million

aronjancso

by aronjancso

+1 And I prefer grip tape instead of electrical tape.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Wonderman: Rapha has a surprisingly helpful video tutorial https://vimeo.com/88898368

AJS914

by AJS914

The bike I just bought came with the bar tape glued down on top. It looks super clean. However, some glue residue is permanently stuck to the carbon bars. Not cool but nobody is going to see it.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Pic?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Ace (and I'm sure other hardware places) also has colored vinyl type tapes that are just like electrical tape that are great if you're trying to finish off with some color.