Large medium sized helmets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arant

by arant

Hi guys!

I don't post on much on these boards but here's one for you...

Over the last few years I've been trying out different helmets. I can't seem to find a helmet I'm comfortable with.
The circumference of my head is 59cm which with most helmets is where Large starts. Of course safety is most important but what is the point of getting a cool helmet if it looks unproportionate and feels uncomfortable.
I've looked at the Lazer Helium helmets where large is 57-60cm. Is there any other manufacturers that either have a large medium size or a small large size?

Thanks for your help!

headwind816

by headwind816

I recently purchased the Giro Atmos II in medium, and I feel that it is quite a large medium. If I could do it over, I would purchase the small. If you can try one out, I think it would be worth giving it a go in a store.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joec

by joec

I'm a similar size to you,

I tried on a load of helmets recently after i took a tumble and trashed my old Bell ( which was never a good fit.... ) hands down the best fitting helmet I found was the Louis Garneu Quartz,

MRM

by MRM

Kask Protone has 48-58 cm and 59-62 cm. Give it a try. You could even try the smaller size. I have a 58 cm head (if I remember correctly) and it works for me. Only issue could be the non adjustable strap triangle that goes over your ears. That may be too tight depending on your ear size. The larger size will definitely fit you.

The Kask Protone also gives off less of a mushroom head vibe than many others. Especially when worn with glasses. So maybe even the larger size will work well for you.

trex021

by trex021

I'm a 59.7 cm circumference. I wore a size large Giro Aeon for years. It was very comfortable but looked huge on me. I got tired of hating my look in every picture so I started searching for a new one. I tried on all of the big names. I finally found the Kask Mojito. It truly has a more narrow width and it actually looks like a normal helmet and not a giant mushroom top. None of the stores had a Kask Protone yet, but I was glad to find the Mojito which looks great and is cheaper and lighter. BTW none of the mediums would fit my melon. I have an oval shaped head.
Last edited by trex021 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I noticed that each brand, though defining the sizing, will be different... My noggin is a 59, fits a Windmax in S but ZERO adjustability as its a JUST FIT while the same brand but different model, the Airstorm has a bit deeper of a fit and more adjustability... My Protone, has plenty of room for adjustability but probably would not fit a hat.. My Cratoni Terron fits larger, can easily wear a cap...but it does look bigger and wider despite a 56-59.. I have also owned a Atmos as well where the fit was also similar to that of the Cratoni.

Its going to be a hit or miss if you're ordering online w/o being able to try the helmets on beforehand.. One would think that having to try on a helmet w/in a brand and tranferring that thought to another helmet w/in the same brand would work... it doesn't..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Titanium22

by Titanium22

+1 for Kask Mojito.

I'm 58.5, bang inbetween most sizes. The L Kask fits beautifully, and doesn't look massive on my head. Loads of colour options too and very well made.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

MD size (56-58) Catlike Whisper feels a bit wide for my 58cm head. It might fit you well.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

OP,
I have the same size head and the "in between sizes" problems. I have found that the specialized prevail and evade in size medium fit perfectly. I tried Kask, but medium was a bit small and large too big.

smoby

by smoby

i have a large medium head but only due to a bumpy bit at the back. like my brains are trying to escape....presuming that i have brains. great post though as i have wondered about this very thing a few times! i tried on a mojito in large and it was a great fit. will read through all this post and see what others felt about different lids.

Grill

by Grill

Kask Mojito for me too. Hoping the Protone will have the same fit.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

I have a large head also. Try a Lazer o2

finner

by finner

Specialized MD goes to 60cm. I have an Evade and it fits great and I struggle with most medium size helmets.

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Kask Mojito vote here as well.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Specialized is the only brand that I have found an M to fit my large melon (59cm). I was very happy when I tried on a medium Airnet and it fit perfectly!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com