Shamal Mille and Zero Nite Wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jitensha

by Jitensha

I am considering purchasing either the Campaganolo Shamal Mille or the Fulcrum Zero Nite. I have extensively searched other forums and weightweenies and most of the threads are old. I would like to see if anyone who can post current pictures of their brake track and tell me how many kilometers/miles are on the wheels? Some riders state that the finish is still perfect after 3,000 miles and others have stated that it wore through within 50 miles with the blue pads. I want to get a sense of how quickly the surface is wearing and if I should not purchase these wheels.

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

Mine went after two rainy rides (and where re spokes with normal zero rims since the nites look terrible). Would save my money for something else (exalith stays on way longer)

Delorre

by Delorre

sharkman wrote:Mine went after two rainy rides (and where re spokes with normal zero rims since the nites look terrible). Would save my money for something else (exalith stays on way longer)

Mine (Nite's) are still running strong (and black :D ) Did you happen to weight the rims?

Jitensha

by Jitensha

Would love to see pictures of your wheels so I can get a sense of what they look like after wearing through the coating. Even this thread shows that some wheels look terrible after perfectly normal use while others look fine.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Just like you, I had thoughts of getting either wheelset but ultimately just went with a carbon rim.

I'm too lazy to search now but under my SN you'll find me reply to a thread which had photos of worn surfaces.

To say at best: the quality is spotty. Other's have had luck but most failed. I can't imagine doing a race on them expecting these things to be solid black after.

If you really like these wheelsets just get the regular aluminum surface w/ black decals.

gilco

by gilco

fantastic zero nite, for all bike and colours

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Odd about the black wearing off. I've got about 3500 miles on mine, and they still look perfect. Raced them in the rain several times (they are my go to wheels instead of deep carbons when weather is iffy). And I'm in florida, where when it rains you get the sand/grit water mixture which I think would be tough on the rims.

sharkman

by sharkman

As said some owner might be lucky but (and not braking will help) but for the price this is a product that shouldn't have hit the market.

Most rims will look like this after a few hunderd miles (wet conditions) and most dealers I know will no longer sell them.

bernatv

by bernatv

So, no one is able to make hardwear black rims like the old Mavic CrossMax's for rim brakes I used to use and still have that never showed any sign of wear? I guess only the Mavic Exalith...

sharkman

by sharkman

well if you want it pure for function you could look at de Rigida/Ryde tungsten brake layer css. (most of the ryde rims can be ordered with this layer at approx. 60 dollar/rim) It isn't black (more grey like the old mavic ceramic coating).
Is have a pair of comp rims with this layer and they are absolutely perfect in bad weather (they wear way better than the mavic exalith). But if it's just for esthetics or if one is not looking for custom wheels I would look further.

Grill

by Grill

Put 1000k on my Nites before I sold them with zero wear on the braking surface.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I really wanted the Shamal Mille's but every shop I spoke to recommend against getting them. I bought the regular Shamal Ultra's (non 2-way fit) and have put a few thousand miles on them over the last couple of months and they are easily the best wheels I have ever had. I liked the look of the black braking surface but there was no point for me to but them if it would not stay black. Saved a few hundred £ on the Shamal Ultra's. Shame as they look great adn I can't see why they can't stay black as I have a 13 year old set of Mavic Classic SSC's with ceramic rims that are still black!!
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

sharkman

by sharkman

If you had the right series they indeed stayed black (but some series easily chipped and lost parts of the glued on? ceramic layer).
the coating on the milles is thin and sooner or later will wear (and you'll end with something looking far worse than you have now).

Jitensha

by Jitensha

Thank you for the photo. The brake surface looks terrible-- it was enough for me to purchase the Shamal Ultra instead.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

wow. I guess I just was lucky to get a good set, after reading all these comments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com