aero helmet wind tunnel data

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CulBaire

by CulBaire

The data from the tests seem sketchy at best given the lack of controls during the tests; but it also conflicts with other data that can be found online.
RBA Test Data that can be found on Aero Weenies for instance (cant find the article).

Edit: Article Linked. http://roadbikeaction.com/features/rba-features/aero-evolved-alphamantis-the-end-of-the-wind-tunnel

spectastic

by spectastic

good link. offers a different perspective.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

CulBaire wrote:The data from the tests seem sketchy at best given the lack of controls during the tests; but it also conflicts with other data that can be found online.
RBA Test Data that can be found on Aero Weenies for instance (cant find the article).

Edit: Article Linked. http://roadbikeaction.com/features/rba-features/aero-evolved-alphamantis-the-end-of-the-wind-tunnel

Oh F**K that... the helmet I'm looking at is not so good in a much better test :mrgreen:

Thank you! A very nice link :thumbup:

@Robert, Alas, I lack the ability to buy several helmets and test them, so I'll have to make an educated guess based on reviews.

rchung

by rchung

Completely understandable. However, the reviews don't usually tell you which helmet does well on the widest range of riders, which is what I might want to know to be better informed.

One of my friends set up an "aero camp" with several riders and several helmets (and a few different brands of skin suits, too). At the end of the "camp" most riders had an idea about which helmet worked best for them.

spectastic

by spectastic

also, what happened to the casco speed airo?

Balti

by Balti

the new bontrager is the most efficiency helment at the moment.
aero,ligtht and vented

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I'm in the market for a new helmet, has anyone tried the new Bontrager Ballista, or the MET Rivale? Was looking at the Kask Protone for a while, but lost interest once I saw more of it. Giro Synthe is nice, but everyone has one it seems.

Krackor

by Krackor

I have one ride logged on my new Ballista. I'm coming from a Giro Aeon that I've used for 2+ years, selected because of the light weight. So far the Ballista seems slightly quieter than the Aeon. It's ~80g heavier. Ventilation feels sufficient - it's definitely more of a laminar flow through the interior of the helmet whereas the Aeon produces what feels like turbulent flow through my hair. This makes sense since the Aeon sits flush against my head so there's nowhere for the air to go once it enters one of the ventilation holes. The Ballista raises the helmet shell off the head by ~5-10mm, providing a route for air to move smoothly from front to back.

I couldn't begin to speculate on whether it's faster or not. I'm not the type to spend time running a controlled test when I could be out riding my bike for fun instead, so I'll have to take the wind tunnel data at face value.

There was a nice surprise waiting for my in the box along with the helmet. There's a replacement pad that goes in the front of the helmet which includes a silicone strip that rests against the forehead - same type of design as the Halo headband. I normally wear a Halo in the summer so I'm interested to see how the built-in option on the Ballista compares. For winter riding, or if you just don't like the feeling, you can use the other supplied pad without the silicone strip.