First Build: Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GaryOS

by GaryOS

Hello to the Weight Weenie community from a long-time lurker & infrequent poster. After several years of exclusively riding mountain bikes, I have recently been given a loan of a road bike & I've been enjoying it. I'm strongly considering building myself a bike and I've tried to compile a spec that will suit my needs. I already have a Merlin C110 frame and fork, so that will be the basis of the build (for better or worse...). Also, I think I am getting sensible in my old age. After years of riding with no spares or water bottles, I've decided it's time to live in the real world & carry some spares & water with me.

I've browsed here quite a lot & tried to come up with an appropriate spec, using a lot of the info here to inform my choices. Please see below:
Component....................................................Weight (g)
Merlin C110 Frame...........................................1,235
Merlin C110 Fork..............................................400 (estimate)
Integrated Headset..........................................60 (estimate)
Carbon Headset Spacers...................................25 (estimate)
Tune Carbon Ahead Cap....................................5
MCFK Steerer Expander.....................................15
Stem.............................................................120 (estimate)
Handlebar.......................................................220 (estimate)
Handlebar Tape................................................60 (estimate)
Shimano WH 9000-C24-CL Wheelset....................1,520
Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II 25C Tyres...........450 (pair)
Continental Race 28 Supersonic Tubes.................100 (pair)
Tune Skyline Road Skewers................................22 (pair)
Dura-Ace 9000 Chainset....................................637
Dura-Ace 9000 Bottom Bracket...........................65
Dura-Ace 9000 Front Mech................................64
Dura-Ace 9000 Chain........................................249
Dura-Ace 9000 Rear Mech.................................159
Dura-Ace 9000 Cassette (11-28)........................192
Dura-Ace 9000 Shifter Levers.............................365
Dura-Ace 9000 Brakes.......................................293 (pair)
Seatpost........................................................180 (estimate)
Selle Italia SLR Saddle.......................................135
Tune Schraubwurger Seatpost clamp...................10
Powercordz Swift Gear Cables.............................60 (estimate)
Powercordz Swift Brake Cables............................60 (estimate)
Pedals............................................................260 (estimate)
Carbonice Stummer Eugen Carbon Chain Catcher....5
K-Edge Braze-on Front Mech Adaptor..................15
Garmin Edge 510..............................................80
Garmin Mount..................................................30 (estimate)
Garmin Sensor etc............................................40
Tune Wasserträger Bottle Cage..........................20 (pair)
Tune 750ml Bottle...........................................180 (pair)
Arundel Uno Saddle Bag....................................60
Spare Tube....................................................50
Topeak Ratchet Rocket....................................192
Lezyne Caddy Kit CO2 Cartridge.........................76

Overall, the build seems a little heavier than I expected. I was hoping for less than 7.5kg fully loaded. Are my weight estimates sensible? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can save weight with relatively low cost updates? I have not bought anything yet, so I am open to changing anything (except the frame & fork).

I am still undecided on several components. I still haven't chosen any finishing kit but I am thinking of something like 3T LTD components as they are reasonably light & look like good value for money. I certainly can't afford any "boutique" equipment. I would consider looking for second hand components (groupset, wheels etc.) as I don't want to plunge a lot of money into my first build.

I also have an additional question. I like tan wall tyres but are they really an appropriate choice for a clincher equipped bike? I assume they originate from the tubular world, as it it the surface used for gluing the tyre to the rim. Is it a bit poser-ish to use tan walled with clinchers?

Thank you in advance for the advice

McGilli

by McGilli

Are you set on keeping your group set in one family?

For example - you could get Planet X CNC Ultra Light brake callipers for ~$100 (depending on the colour you choose) brand new - and they are 180g for the pair - so you'd save over 100g right there and save money. That's one of the only parts I can see where you could spend less money - and lose weight...

https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/BCPXUL ... e-calipers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GaryOS

by GaryOS

I am definitely NOT set on keeping the groupset to one family. I just thought buyhat'sing DA-9000 in one go would be easier. Thank you for recommending the Planet-X brakes. They look like the exact type of part that I am after. I can potentially save weight and money! Thank you

That's an easy 100g step towards my target...

Svetty

by Svetty

DA9000 brakes are better than the Planet X's by a noticeable margin. The main source of excess weight of your proposed build is the frame and forks - given than these aren't up for negotiation I'd just build it up as you propose and accept the resulting weight TBH otherwise you may compromise overall performance and function simply to hit a notional weight target.

Incidentally most people's quoted weights are for bikes without pumps, bottles, saddle bags, mini-tools etc :D

Multebear

by Multebear

You will easily be able to save weight on Wheels as well. At least 150-200 grams, by building a wheelset with components from Bikehubstore. They would be significantly cheaper than shimano C24s as well.

If you'r less than 150 lbs, you could get away with Bikehubstores UL190/66 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes 24/28 spokeconfig with Kinlin XR200 rims. That would be around 1.300 grams for the wheelset maybe even less.

Marin

by Marin

Remove the Garmin, bag, spares, tools and bottles from your calculation.

Lighter wheels (my Farsports 50x23mm are 1330g, 24x23mm - 1220g), Red cranks, Tune chainrings, Force/Attack tires.

I have a steel Ritchey with a 1770g frame that is 7.2 with a light wheelset, and it didn't cost a lot.

GaryOS

by GaryOS

Sorry, I just realised that I didn't post weight totals.

Total (Fully Loaded) 7,709 g
"Non-Essentials" 728 g
Total (Bare Bike) 6,981 g

I thought it was more appropriate to take a "real-world" approach to the total weight so I decided to include spares etc.

The wheels do seem a little heavy. I was originally interested in the C24 but seeing them on a scales was a little disappointing. I'll certainly have a look at Bikehubstores, although I certainly couldn't go for the sub 150 pound option...

Marin, I've seen your bike before and it's very impressive. I love the elegance of the steel frame and low profile rims. I'll look into the components that you have suggested

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com