chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I used to run Chinese carbon bars and I had no issues with them but I also had no confidence in them, I couldn't bring myself to sprint properly or descend fast with them so in the end I binned them and went back to alloy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

tarmackev wrote:I used to run Chinese carbon bars and I had no issues with them but I also had no confidence in them, I couldn't bring myself to sprint properly or descend fast with them so in the end I binned them and went back to alloy.

good choice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoeFlan

by JoeFlan

I picked up a set of china carbon compact drops off ebay, but the clamping area was too small for any hoods. Just a warning.
I've been using them as bars for my track bike without issues.
Current Steed
Supersix Evo 6.25kg
CAAD10 6.8kg
Giant TCR SLR 6.8kg
Past Lovers
Focus Izalco Pro
Cervelo S1

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

What is the obsession with cheap product, slapped together with no quality control, purchased from random eBay user in China?!

Stop buying trash products, you are a weightweenie after all. Do your research, purchase quality product, don't be cheap and treat your bike well!

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Man I wish fwb puts a zippcopy/ergonovacopy on their test next time. I have a chinabar (aeronovacopy) but I'm too afraid to use it. It feels really soft and flexy

kgt

by kgt

mpulsiv wrote:What is the obsession with cheap product, slapped together with no quality control, purchased from random eBay user in China?!
Stop buying trash products, you are a weightweenie after all. Do your research, purchase quality product, don't be cheap and treat your bike well!

That. Buying this junk is shortsighted if not unethical.

naambezet

by naambezet

My Chinese bars survived a crash, my NeilPryde frame didn't.

Ohnooo

by Ohnooo

Video when a sales man breaks a fake Zipp handle bar:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BA1q67XoSz6/

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

To play devil's advocate:
-So, basically how most bars break in a crash/fall? Choosing the direction at which the bar is weakest and not a force under normal riding? Huh. Yeah, sounds legit. :roll:
-Video of "real" SL70s with the same direction of force for comparison, please. I read the comments on that post, but no video to support the comment that the 'authentic' bars had no effect under the same pressure? Odd.

I have yet to own 'fake' bars, but I've had a number of 'authentic' bars break. Two from crashes in the expected fashion of failure (one Specialized, one ZIPP) and one non-crash, just a break on the right-side top, when I hit a very steep speed-bump in a parking lot a little too fast (from Williams Cycling). The latter was a total break but I managed to ride back home because the handlebar tape held it relatively in place for the 23 mile return home.

Legitimate bars break too, sadly. Everything is prone to failure.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Ohnooo

by Ohnooo

prendrefeu wrote:-Video of "real" SL70s with the same direction of force for comparison, please. I read the comments on that post, but no video to support the comment that the 'authentic' bars had no effect under the same pressure? Odd.

I agree, he should have a uploaded video when he does the same thing an authentic bar. Maybe he's paid by Zipp, who knows...
Here's the comment @prendrefeu is talking about "The real Zipp bars just flexed a bit with the same method and twice as much power. Not even a crack sound from the clearcoat. The fake bars really did break instantly."

maxxevv

by maxxevv

There are qualitative differences no doubt. I've seen plenty over the years.

But as for the 'easier breaking' part, its still up there with the urban myths and legends of the Bigfoot.

I've seen as many carbon bars break, both branded as well as no-name ones. The end results all look too similar to tell which ones broke more easily though.

If the video really wants to prove a point, hang weights onto both no-name as well as branded bars using 5kg increments until complete failure. Measuring the deflection with the incremental weight additions along the way. :idea:

J00P

by J00P

maxxevv wrote:... If the video really wants to prove a point, hang weights onto both no-name as well as branded bars using 5kg increments until complete failure. Measuring the deflection with the incremental weight additions along the way. :idea:

Yes, and to take sample variation out of the discussion: from each 5 pieces!

tmr5555

by tmr5555

That fake zipp bar broke in the exact same place as my "inspired by Zipp" velobuild above.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

prendrefeu wrote:
Legitimate bars break too, sadly. Everything is prone to failure.

Maybe your 'real' bars are really just fake bars :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Everything must be fake then. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com