chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:Same for frames, forks, wheels, seatposts, etc. Riding a bicycle with cars around is dangerous too and we still do it.

Yes - I would say the same for frames fork and wheels. Seatposts not as safety critical

Your likening the decision to go with untested unregulated cheap safety critical components to save cash and the issue of choosing to cycle in traffic is LOL funny
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:You can die every time you ride, even with an all steel bike.

Of course, but why not minimize the risk of component failure with something regulated from a reputable manufacturer. In fact I'd go further and generally wait for carbon products to have a lot of road miles to prove their safety before using.

Risk appetite

If I was hard-up I'd ride lower end reputable stuff ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

J00P

by J00P

> Advantage is 20-50g, potentially 0 from an unreputable manufacturer over a decent set of alloy bars. Disadvantage is cost, durability, and stiffness. What am I missing?

True, an alloy Ritchey LogicII WCS weights about 240g and with some searching it can be found for around $/Euro 50,-

shinzomaeda

by shinzomaeda

J00P wrote:> Advantage is 20-50g, potentially 0 from an unreputable manufacturer over a decent set of alloy bars. Disadvantage is cost, durability, and stiffness. What am I missing?

True, an alloy Ritchey LogicII WCS weights about 240g and with some searching it can be found for around $/Euro 50,-

I was looking at carbon bars recently, and for the above reason stuck to alloy, but somehow still can't stop myself looking!!!! :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cany

by cany

NONO Do not mortgage your life

J00P

by J00P

cany wrote:NONO Do not mortgage your life

I understand what you're saying, it's just remarkable that no one seems to think this way about Chinese carbon forks that come with the popular chinese frames.

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Have tried some chinese handlebars, mixed experiences.

1) steerer/stem combo: bad product finish, stiffness OK, don't really feel all that safe using it.
2) Ergosum style noname steerer: horrible; lots of flex.
3) Ergonova style; surprisingly good, really stiff, trust it fully.

Did buy the three to test and then choose which type/curve to buy to buy in the not replica version.
At the moment I'm only still riding the ergonova one and looking to buy the real thing (2014 version).

My 2 cents: buy some real stuff or a good alloy one.

KarlC

by KarlC

KarlC wrote:I just got a set of these, impressed overall so far. Weight was 250, after I cut the ends of its now 235 grams.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Newest-COS ... 4d32acb0b6

There is lots of great info on here about trusted China seller for carbon Frames and Wheel, why not for Bars, Seat and so on ?

I have tired 3 different carbon bars and 3 different Alloy bars non that I really liked. The above bars on spot on for me as far as Aero, Fit and Looks for my bike. Now if I want I can spend the $$$ and get the real deal, but so far I don't see the need as these feel VERY strong and stiff.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I have those bars, too. They've been great so far.

Turbopowr

by Turbopowr

What's the reach and drop on those aero ebay bars?
Hector Cabrera
Orlando, FL
2011 Spec Tarmac Pro DA

Marin

by Marin

My guess would be - very similar to the Cervelo ones.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I was recently very very tempted by the Hylix Ergonova copy. Only 180g and 100ish USD. I didn't go for them for 3 reasons. They only come with a red stripe which wouldn't go with my black and blue R3, I found the authentic 2014 3T Ergonova Ltd for $320, and of all Chinese carbon components I am scared of bars most.

The last reason is likely unreasonable... I am not sure if I should be scared of wheels more or all components equally ;). I think I am most scared of bars because I think bar tape can hide failures.

I recently had a crash where my wheels slid out sideways under me while cornering at low speed sliding an invisible oil patch on the road. I went down hard and my Easton EC90 bars snapped where the top bends forward. Barely any carbon held on which was easily detectable through the bar tape. This is why I needed a new bar so maybe I shouldn't be so worried about bar tape housing failures.

Has anyone here had a difficult to spot carbon bar failure? If so were they a major brand or Chinese? How about alloy bars too?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Getter

by Getter

For me no. I just don't trust it. If the bar was to ever fail...especially at high speed? No way. I don't have the peace of mind.

With that said...I do ride a open mold China carbon MTB frame...but run an Enve carbon bar. I still don't completely trust the frame to tell you the truth.

The quality control is the big unknown. You don't know how that bar was made. If you're unfortunate and you get a poorly made bar...that could be real bad news. In the event the bar does fail and you get hurt...there is no liability on their end.

Marin

by Marin

Do Envy xray every bar they make?

KarlC

by KarlC

Marin wrote:Do Envy xray every bar they make?

Does any company xray every bar they make ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com