chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Apologies, I am going to thrash this one to death.

In reply to OP I would never trust any supplier who used "Zipp/insert brand here replica" etc in their name because they are using reputable names to sell rubbish. Can someone please ban the use of "copy" and replica". They are not "copies" or "replicas", they are forgeries, could be made of cheese, and potentially dangerous to the user and other riders. Anyone using a reputable brand name for their own cheap ware is dishonest and cannot be trusted, all they want to do is sell a poor product with a sticker on it.

There are lots of very good own brand products out there with importers and retailers to back them up but if they put a Zipp or Pinarello transfer on the kit then they reveal their complete dishonesty. Fine for a t-shirt but not for a bike.

I can't think of anything on a bike, even a bottle cage, that I would be happy to see fail at 60kph and anyone looking at forged wheels, bars, frames must be crazy to risk it for a logo to show their friends. As for people who believe they are sticking it to the man by buying forgeries " cos real Zipps are a rip off at £1500 and I got these for £500" I am baffled and try not to follow their wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ifrit

by ifrit

I've seen a friend's Chinese handbar breaking into two pieces which was bought from Aliexpress..
I try to avoid any parts that didn't go through quality controls from trustworthy makers.
8) Condor Leggero 2015 Mavic Team :evil:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have not bought any Chinese no-brand products on FleaBay. It's tempting. I almost bought a carbon saddle but after seeing pics of broken saddle I had figured it's not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

Wondered was Wiggins using a Chinese handlebar in the Tour of California TT last week....?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

liam7020 wrote:Wondered was Wiggins using a Chinese handlebar in the Tour of California TT last week....?

lol

superdx

by superdx

Having done some sourcing for electronic and textile factories in China, I can tell you that even the ones with Western (German, French, US, HK) management have issues with QA, not to mention the attrition of the factory workers that are there. Especially after major holidays like Golden Week or National Day. On a bad week sometimes up to 30% of the "finished" product needs to be discarded because it simply isn't good enough. A good week is about 10% discard, but that's with heavy investment in QA personnel.

Buying replica, copies, fakes from eBay from factories that are knowingly producing fake stuff should give you an idea of what you're getting. Just because they have the same moulds and same machines doesn't mean a damn thing.

People who report no issues with fakes are simply just lucky. I'd use that luck in in buying the lottery instead instead of saving $100-200 on a carbon bike component that will land you in the hospital.

Marin

by Marin

superdx wrote:even the ones with Western (German, French, US, HK) management have issues with QA

So what lottery ticket would you buy instead of a carbon part from a German, French, US brand then?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

nathanong87 wrote:
liam7020 wrote:Wondered was Wiggins using a Chinese handlebar in the Tour of California TT last week....?

lol

I had heard he's filing a dispute with PayPal to get his money back :-)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

pdlpsher1 wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:

lol

I had heard he's filing a dispute with PayPal to get his money back :-)

chinarello bolide

superdx

by superdx

Marin wrote:
superdx wrote:even the ones with Western (German, French, US, HK) management have issues with QA

So what lottery ticket would you buy instead of a carbon part from a German, French, US brand then?

Never had to make that choice. I don't buy fakes.

Marin

by Marin

Do you understand what you wrote?

superdx

by superdx

If you want to buy fakes instead of just attacking other people, do so, no one is stopping you, and no one is stopping the fake factories. All I did was state the obvious about Chinese factories, they are not dependable. Why do you think Chinese hordes buy baby formula from other countries in bulk? Or that no one trusts the pharmaceuticals that come out of China?

If you want to defend this option to buy counterfeit stuff go ahead, I'm of the opinion that you are increasing risk of injury on other riders. Having been seriously injured myself in the past, it's not something I wish on anyone. Good luck.

hyunsoo

by hyunsoo

I have used Chinese carbon bars during 1year, no problems.
I bought at aliexpress

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@SuperDX, I think the poster was asking your opinion about CF products from the likes of tune, AX lightness, schmolke, Time, etc.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Marin

by Marin

- He said that even factories under western management have massive QC issues.

- I asked if he buy parts from these factories - which probably make 99% of the bicycle parts from the biggest brands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com