chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rainerhq

by rainerhq

My Ergonova copys were 185g (42cm)
I used these about one year without problems and sold with bike.
They had little flex, when on drops, which was really nice while racing on gravel.

Wonder, why they don´t make 38cm bars?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

planetrobbi

by planetrobbi

In 2013 I bought Zipp Vuka sprint dropbar and stem copies from DHGATE. Excellent finish. Seller had high feedback and is still there and sells all carbon goods. They came in a zipp branded box too which is funny. Been using for two years with ZERO issues, very comfy and dampen out road buzz and vibration compared to previous alloy bars that were on the bike. Would buy again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pino76

by pino76

I was not a big fan of carbon handlebars until i bought a bar from a wel known chinees seller. before riding i did some testing (full body weight in the drops and try to break it).
now i'm riding the bars for 2 years, no problem at all.

on my winterbike I had alu 3T ergonova handlebar for 3 years, when i changed the bartape i noticed a lot of pitcorosion on the bars. so much that they are not safe anymore.
bought a carbon handelbar for 50 usd and be happy now....

So alloy handlebars are not always better... 8)

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Might be worth reading that other thread on Extralite stems slicing through handlebars. Never considered it before but a lot of breakages could be due to improper stem installation/clamping.

baldy

by baldy

Been using my pair of Zipp copies for a year and a half with no issues. Just got a 2nd pair as the shape is good for me. Tried the pull test with no noise etc. I think the issue of people dying if they fail is a bit oversimplistic, and as I work in emergency healthcare I have yet to meet anyone who has been hospitalised, never mind of hearing of any deaths. Things from reputable firms break- frames forks- and have experience of this. You can injure yourself if your hand slips off the bar, as I have, hitting something on the road. As with most things where is the real documented evidence? Accidents happen, things break. Just my opinion.

glepore

by glepore

Carbon stuff breaks. Light aluminum stuff breaks. I'm on my umpteenth pair of bars made in china without issues. Don't bite them with the stem, check for stuff once in a while, and you'll be fine. Really. And hey, if you're the worrying sort, the integrated bars are mostly around 350g and are NOT going to break.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

trailflow1

by trailflow1

glepore wrote:if you're the worrying sort, the integrated bars are mostly around 350g and are NOT going to break.

O RLY ?
http://bit.ly/1Y0Gp3c

naambezet

by naambezet

I'm using some fake Bontrager bars which weigh 180 gram, had a crash with it (hit by a car) and it was allright. It does flex a little bit on the drops when I put my weight on it, but I'm really satisfied with it. Saved me over 100 grams over the old al bars

LenJ wrote:- In general Taiwan China quality is different than Mainland China quality

You shouldn't say Taiwan China...

nomarkp

by nomarkp

Chinese carbon handlebar is too dangerous.
Many people use them is injured

naambezet

by naambezet

nomarkp wrote:Chinese carbon handlebar is too dangerous.
Many people use them is injured

Sure, all those people with good experiences with them, above your post are all injured.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Bought a specialized look-alike aero bar from velobuild, attached to Alu 3T stem, used torque wrench and carbon paste in assembly, Pulled up on one end and pushed down on the other while attached to bike, heard "creaaak, crack, crack, creeaak, crack, crack, crack" one year on, no more noise, no additional flex, no "visible" cracks.
Maybe the cracking was coming from manufacture left overs, maybe not, honestly Idk.
#guineapig
Last edited by tmr5555 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

"Chinese" carbon handlebars...

Let's see...

Specialized, ENVE, Bontrager, 3T, Cervelo, Williams... continue the list... all of these are manufactured in China.
So yes, those too are "Chinese" carbon handlebars. :roll:

The 1960's are calling, they want their myopia back.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

liam7020

by liam7020

I have Chinese carbon bars on a number of bikes, including track and cross. Zero issues. Using a little fibre optic light I compared the internal finish of a genuine 3T Ergonova Team bar to that of a Chinese copy. The 3T bar was considerably rougher with more internal "debris". And yes prendrefeu is quite correct - where do people think their name brand bars are actually made?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Marin

by Marin

TBH I wouldn't trust a no-name cheap carbon part made in the US or in Europe :)

gtinut

by gtinut

liam7020 wrote:I wonder where all the name brand carbon bars are actually made......

one of them is Gigantex

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com