chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

torob

by torob

I have one on my bike, and have had it for about 8 months. It's aeronova in shape, and flexy. I do not recommend it.
Using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

torob wrote:I have one on my bike, and have had it for about 8 months. It's aeronova in shape, and flexy. I do not recommend it.

My aeronova replica was also flexy, but I believe the real ones are also.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rms13

by rms13

I'm gathering that most here think Chinese carbon bars are not the best idea. Is there any alumnium bars under 300 g with internal routing that can be had under $50 new or is that asking too much?

Marin

by Marin

Seriously, get a chinese carbon bar, there's a reason noone makes alumnium bars under 300 g with internal routing that can be had under $50 new.

I have 3, broke one in a 45kph crash, got the same model again.

rms13

by rms13

Marin wrote:Seriously, get a chinese carbon bar, there's a reason noone makes alumnium bars under 300 g with internal routing that can be had under $50 new.

I have 3, broke one in a 45kph crash, got the same model again.

Do you have a suggestion for a seller?

AndrewL

by AndrewL

I've exchanged emails with one of the sellers of the Hylix carbon bars (they're the same as 3T bars in most respects) on Ebay with quite a few questions and he was quite open and honest about them. Here's the information that I gathered:

They are made in the same factory as 3T bars, though they are slightly heavier than their 3T counterparts. Quality control is not as stringent, Hylix discarding somewhat fewer bars than 3T, mainly do to finished bars being over weight. Structural stress testing is a part of the QC process. Out of the 400 Hylix bars sold the fault rate (breaks/cracked bars) is less than 1%. A 2 year warranty is included.

So I'm going to buy a Hylix bar and try it out. I've bought many no-name Chinese carbon parts but have been wary of bars for obvious reasons, but I have had online instance of a seatpost cracking and it may have been clamped too tightly (5NM might be too much for an ultra light post--2-3NM could be sufficient with carbon paste for lighter riders). I have noticed that many people have bought these bars and I have yet to hear of one braking.
Andrew "Jersey" L

rms13

by rms13

I got Ritchey WCS EvoCurve bars on sale from Nashbar for $56. No internal routing but 253g so not bad for alum. I'll just have to remove the logos when I get it because the WCS logo doesn't go with my black and red color scheme

AJS914

by AJS914

I like the Zipp aluminum bars.

They are made in the same factory as 3T bars

Do we believe that? I mean, they always say that. Made in the same factory as if you are mostly getting the same exact product without the label.

Getter

by Getter

People will always claim that "x' was made in the same factory as "y". It may be true and it may be a straight lie...you'll never know unless you see it for yourself.

Marin

by Marin

I wonder about that too. I don't know enough about the economy of copying moulds etc. to have an informed opinion about that.

Regarding sellers, I usually go with the cheapest seller who has good pictures and parts without logos.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

A BIG NO from me. I won't risk my safety with any "no name" parts on my bike.
If someone is proud of their work and is selling if they put their name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I also have an ergonova copy 1 year and half old with no problems. My bar does not flex at all and I weight 80kg. I purchased from the seller with the most items sold and best feedback.

dogma85

by dogma85

Handlebars....stick to aluminum and don't worry while pushing up to 18% hill on big gear ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

I push up 25% hills in a big gear. Actually ripped out some freehub pawls. Bars were fine :)

KarlC

by KarlC

Marin wrote:I push up 25% hills in a big gear. Actually ripped out some freehub pawls. Bars were fine :)

+1 NO issues with my carbon replica bars.

Just like chinese frames and wheels, buy from a good seller.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com