Shimano ultegra 6870 Di2 RD failure ? Just my luck :-(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ricey155

by ricey155

So my new build has gone tits up, just my luck the rear derailleur has completely failed anyone had the 6870 go on them ?

Shimano offer a 2 year warranty so all isn't bad, I originally bought it from starbike in Nov 2013 and other than battery drain (which looks like the RD was the culprit) its been awesome

I've ordered a spare medium cage so I can run a 32 sprocket #Hills etube didn't even find the RD after the fail !!

New pf30 shell out :-( lol teething problems

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ricey155

by ricey155

Battery is fully charged a few days on that's not happened for ages - looks like the issue all along

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Can you please be more specific about what happens to your RD? You say it drains your battery?

ricey155

by ricey155

XCProMD wrote:Can you please be more specific about what happens to your RD? You say it drains your battery?

System is working 100% with new replacement RD, old unit must have not been shutting down correctly and draining the battery in 24hrs ! Maybe motor issue ? It's on its way back to Madison UK for a warranty claim

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I've seen this one more time and heard it at least a dozen. The issues in this case lies with the rear der draining the battery. a replacement usually fixes the issue.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Yes, it is a quite common fault. I'm trying to understand better what happens and I have 4 RDs here for inspection with that problem (2 Ultegra, 2DA).

At first glance it looks like it is another variation of the position reading system that was so common in DA7970. But now, instead of ghost shifting the noise causes the derailleur to alter position continuously albeit almost imperceptibly. The motor is humming all the time as a result and drains the battery.