Dura Ace Quill Stem vs 600/Ultegra

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rayms

by rayms

I picked up a 600AX stem and it weighs in @335 grams for 120mm. Info on the internet put the Dura Ace version @ 260 grams. I cannot believe the difference! Something is amiss here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

LOL what? Did I log in to the wayback machine again and its 1992?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Might be trolling, but some of us still have quilled bikes.

If you are seriously looking for a light quill stem, search the web for NOS models like the Cinelli Grammo Ti, WR Compositi carbon quill, etc.
Deda Murex might save you a few grams over the one you have now.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I have an older Deda Murex silver in my drawer, never seen a fork steeer, it's basically new. measured it, 120mm came in right at 286 grams, and it haz two bolt design making swapping handlebars easier..

also, if you can get hold of a deda spada quill adapter, which is right at 142grs, you can use that with any modern stem (albeit, you must use a shim, because the spada converts 1" threaded to 1" threadless...) and that will open up your handlebar choices&allows you to easily get the right stem length..

I'd go either threadless or get some other quill stem, like 3ttt status, etc..

gilco

by gilco

maybe the difference is the material of bolts

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I could check my 130mm Dura Ace 7400 if you like.

rayms

by rayms

I took apart the Shimano and weigh the pieces separately. I see now that my assumption that the main part is the same as the Dura ace is incorrect, but I am the first to post on the internet about it.
The main part is 247 grams. I am guessing this is what that put out first for the first 600 model, then they changed the body to be the same as the Dura ace.
Last edited by rayms on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

em3

by em3

See write-up of two stems here:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/stems.asp

Difference is steel expander cone and bolt (Ultrgra) vs. alum expander come and bolt (Dura-Ace).

These are the most beautiful quill stems ever made...perhaps the only Shimano part I would ever allow to touch my bike. EM3

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cinelli Grammo Ti in 130mm length is 190g (I have one lovely thin). Modolo made some decently light stems at 280g.

If you can get an alloy stem bolt or a Ti one you can save a fair bit of weight. I have managed to fit a purple set of bolts to one of my MTB quills and it has survived a few rides. Not a bike I use often though.

aronjancso

by aronjancso

I have a SR Extra Super Light stem (yeah, Japanese branding wasn't that great back then :)) http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=34F0B8C9-ECD0-482A-8078-D465A1C26EF8&Enum=102&AbsPos=2 Weight is around 210 g for 110 mm with alloy cone and ti bolts.

rayms

by rayms

em3 wrote:See write-up of two stems here:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/stems.asp

Difference is steel expander cone and bolt (Ultrgra) vs. alum expander come and bolt (Dura-Ace).

These are the most beautiful quill stems ever made...perhaps the only Shimano part I would ever allow to touch my bike. EM3

Weighing mine proves the Peter White info does not apply the the 600AX and also the Velobase.com info is not necessarily correct.

rayms

by rayms

bm0p700f wrote:Cinelli Grammo Ti in 130mm length is 190g (I have one lovely thin). Modolo made some decently light stems at 280g.

If you can get an alloy stem bolt or a Ti one you can save a fair bit of weight. I have managed to fit a purple set of bolts to one of my MTB quills and it has survived a few rides. Not a bike I use often though.

It would be nice to find a light bolt for the Cinelli 1/A since that has 1/2 cm sizes, but the Shimano is the only good looking one around with a superb design!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com