New Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Tires

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
cookiemonster
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:00 pm

by cookiemonster

Ive fitted some 28mm pro ones to velocity A23s and Im very very impressed. They're give a plush ride over crappy surfaces and are fast - its noticeable most when keeping up with traffic and when freewheeling. They remind me of vittoria paves which I seem to remember having a similar supple feel.

We'll see how we go with durability and puncture resistance. I used to used fusion 3s but had mixed results with sealant; my experience was that sealant, and I tried various flavours, wasn't as effective as the marketing material suggests. So my worry with the pro ones is that they've made a very fragile tyre with the expectation that sealant will take care of flats.

Any, so far, recommended.

by Weenie


joepac
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:43 pm

by joepac

WMW wrote:
justaute wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3HUmj7yjXQRMGtSS1ZUVFZjTDg/view


Interesting test. Sad that they used both latex and butyl tubes, but never quantified the difference between them!

Also not cool that they declared Specialized the winner, but failed to test the Supersonic, GP TT, Attack, and Force which are all faster than the GP4000.


Yeah, I agree with the latex, butyl comment! It actually looks like the Turbo Pro is very close to performance to the S Works if you factor in the lower rolling resistance of the latex tube... I would like to know how close! One thing I don't like is that this is with a weight of 50kg... I guess it's useful if you're a woman/junior but I'd like to see it with a more reasonable 65-75 kg.

jeffy
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm

by jeffy

just got a couple of 28mm from Mantel.com

Usefully they have an "email notification" system for each size as stock is low/limited. Was only a couple of days before more was in stock

Good price, and if you join their newsletter you get a €10 first order voucher

Weightwise for 2 x28mm

one was 279g the other 288g

shonanmike
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 pm

by shonanmike

FYI

Have just purchased two Pro Ones 25mm from Starbike.

Installed one on a new Pacenti a23 and the tire measures at 28 mm wide. And the tire weighed 259 grams.

jeffy
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm

by jeffy

do you mean pacenti sl23 or Velocity a23?

shonanmike
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 pm

by shonanmike

Apologies! Pacenti sl23 rim.

TheKaiser
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm

by TheKaiser

joepac wrote:
WMW wrote:
justaute wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3HUmj7yjXQRMGtSS1ZUVFZjTDg/view


Interesting test. Sad that they used both latex and butyl tubes, but never quantified the difference between them!

Also not cool that they declared Specialized the winner, but failed to test the Supersonic, GP TT, Attack, and Force which are all faster than the GP4000.


Yeah, I agree with the latex, butyl comment! It actually looks like the Turbo Pro is very close to performance to the S Works if you factor in the lower rolling resistance of the latex tube... I would like to know how close! One thing I don't like is that this is with a weight of 50kg... I guess it's useful if you're a woman/junior but I'd like to see it with a more reasonable 65-75 kg.


Forgive me if I missed the obvious, but are the figures in the tabular rankings the actual wattage measured or are they doubling it under the assumption that you would be using 2 of the tires? I ask that because the numbers look kind of high compared to the data from Al Morrison, Tour Mag, etc... This would also account for why they only used 50kg, because they are figuring that each wheel will only have about 1/2 of the bike/rider total mass, which would mean that they actually went kind of too heavy, rather than too light, if they were shooting for a realistic load (apologies to the Clydesdales out there).

They mention measuring 2 samples for each model and averaging them, but don't mention doubling anywhere that I could see.

There are also some *s for the Weight, Watts, and Conti listings, however I didn't see a key that would explain what they mean. They address the Conti TPI issue in the body text, but not the Weight or Watts, but I could imagine that would be where they would say that they doubled the measures.

Regarding Latex vs. Butyl it is weird that they didn't quantify the difference. Other sources indicate it depends on the tubes in question but that 3 watts per tire is reasonable to expect, which would bump the Turbo Pro from 16th to 6th for a pair.

jeffy
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm

by jeffy

i get confused about how inner and outer diameter impact tyre measurement


What should you expect a 23mm pro one to measure on a 25mm outer 17mm inner?

mr4fox
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 pm

by mr4fox

recieved a 23 and 25mm pro one last week. they weigh 259g and 261g respectively.
So far i've only managed to mount the 25mm. It was ridiculously difficult to mount to my Pacenti sl23 rims...those rims are ba$tards and these tyres made it even worse. still, 4 hands and 2 broken Park Tools tyre levers later and i got the 25 mounted. It measures 27.8mm wide. have only managed to ride it for some hill intervals but as far as i can tell it feels pretty smooth.
I'm a bit paranoid about getting a puncture that the sealant cant fix. If the beads don't loosen up with age then i'll have no chance of installing a tube if I'm on my own. i honestly think i'll probably have to cut the tyre off. The conti GP4000s tyre i took off was tough to mount too but the beads stretched a bit i guess as its easier to remove and reinstall on the pacenti rim now than it was when new.

Does any one know if tubeless beads loosen/stretch a little after they've been mounted for a while?

User avatar
rmerka
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm
Location: Austin, TX

by rmerka

@mr4fox get some Pedros levers. If you've never used those try them and you'll never use anything else.

mr4fox
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 pm

by mr4fox

rmerka wrote:@mr4fox get some Pedros levers. If you've never used those try them and you'll never use anything else.


thanks for the tip! thats what i thought about the Park Tools as i had broken other levers installing normal clichers on the Sl23 rims but hadnt broken a Park lever until these beasts arrived. Have ordered the steal reinforced Park tools levers but will try the Pedros too. Theyre no doubt way lighter in the jersey pocket than the steal ones :D

beatle
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:08 pm

by beatle

mr4fox wrote:...Does any one know if tubeless beads loosen/stretch a little after they've been mounted for a while?


In my experience (about 10 tires total), maybe just a little, but not much really. Also, I live in a very hot (40+) temp environment, where one would think that if anything the stretch would be more pronounced in such conditions. YMMV

beanbiken
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

by beanbiken

Had been using Schwable Ultremo ZX tubeless on Fulcrum Zeros two way rims, last weekend stripped and mounted a pair of the Pro Ones. Tough but not as tough as the Ultremos to get on, no tools required just thumbs and their mounting fluid. Floor pump and inflated first shot. Rode last weekend with 1200 meters of climbing............ really nice.

Steve
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

mr4fox
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 2:01 pm

by mr4fox

beanbiken wrote:Had been using Schwable Ultremo ZX tubeless on Fulcrum Zeros two way rims, last weekend stripped and mounted a pair of the Pro Ones. Tough but not as tough as the Ultremos to get on, no tools required just thumbs and their mounting fluid. Floor pump and inflated first shot. Rode last weekend with 1200 meters of climbing............ really nice.

Steve



No tools?!!! I need new rims!

by Weenie


beanbiken
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

by beanbiken

mr4fox wrote:No tools?!!! I need new rims!


Yep, no tools. Took a fair amount of effort but certainly doable. And I'm no Incredible Hulk. If this is what Schwable mean by "tubless easy" I'm all for it.
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post