New Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
kulivontot

by kulivontot

I got schwalbe pro one 23mm on both V1 and V2 pacenti rims pretty easily with the bead jack after struggling for hours with standard tire levers. I had to take one of them off already using crankbros speedier lever, and although it was hard, it was not impossible. Not sure I'd want to do it on the side of the road, but I think you could do it (whether you could get the tire back on is another question). Definitely need to bring along a more beefy lever than normal though.
I've got to say I've enjoyed riding the schwalbe tubeless for the two weeks I've had them installed. I swear there is an improvement in rolling resistance as all of a sudden I can catch people while coasting downhill, which never happens as I'm 60kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

I have been enjoying riding the Pro One in 23mm on my road bike; I switched over from Conti GP4000S II with latex tubes. I don't notice a difference really in rolling speed, but I do run the Schwalbes lower pressure and in general love how they ride. And the durability has been reasonable. I did flat out of my last race, but it was in gravel section and the cut in tire was just too big for sealant. But I would have pinch flatted much sooner with the way I was riding through that rutted up section on non-tubeless. (And have little doubt that the same cut could have happened with the Conti tires.)

On my commuter/cx/gravel bike I have been using regular One 28mm tubeless tires for awhile and really like them. I was sent a Pro One by accident with a recent restock order, so I am running that on the front now (28mm). The Pro One definitely feels more supple than the One. I might switch over to Pro One completely on that bike if I find them on sale somewhere, though the non-Pro is a great tire with excellent durability and flat protection for a fast-rolling tire.

justaute

by justaute

My 28mm Pro Ones seem to be running well on my winter-bike. No issues so far and they were easy to mount.

The new offerings from Panaracer look interesting -- just to be a tad heavier than the comparable Pro Ones. Also found some IRC RBCC at a pretty good price, but did not pull the trigger.

Lugan

by Lugan

dwrz wrote:My experience has been very negative and I do not recommend them. My setup was Pro One 28mm and Pacenti SL23 (version 1).

If I recall correctly, the v1 generation of the SL23 rim were very hard for most people to get most tires onto them - tubeless and clincher alike. I had those rims on a wheelset and had a hard time with Conti 4000S clinchers, though they mounted eventually. I can imagine tubeless tires which are generally slightly smaller diameter could be impossible on those rims. As another responder said above, rims and tires are made within a range of allowable diameters, and my guess is that you unluckily paired a combo that is at the margins for larger diameter rim and smaller diameter tire, and that cause the issue. It's not all tubeless or even just Schwalbe to blame, but the combination. That said, it's still not your fault! I'm not sure how you could know aside from relentlessly trolling through cycling geek forums to see if anyone else tried your intended combination.

Tubeless tires and rims is an interface that probably needs a clearer standard with far less variation. Imagine the other side of your coin with a tire that is on the larger side of the diameter measure and a rim that is on the smaller side: Then you may have problems ever sealing the combination to start, and if it ever seals, could roll off the rim while you're cornering down a mountain at high speed.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mounted irc tubeless tyres today which are similar in tightness to v1 sl23 rims today with campag levers without too much bother. When people say impossible i say give it to me. There are only a few properly impossible tyre rim combo's. The only tyre i failed to get onto a v1 sl23 is the challange strada bianci. Every continental slips on no difficulty at all. No levers needed either. Th ols sl23 was a find rim. Shame v2 gives more problems.

Tyre and rim standards are good. Schwables and irc are a tight fit to most rims. If your tyre is a bit loose but sea's i can assure you it wont roll off. Also if the tyre is a loose fot get some gorrila tape and build up the rim till the tyre is a right fit. Seriously what is hard about that.

hyunsoo

by hyunsoo

I purchased Pro Ones 25mm

the tire weighed 259 grams.

theblackgold

by theblackgold

Pro one 23mm was 231g for me

tomee

by tomee

i just put 28mm pro one's on my bike

can anyone recommend what pressures i should be running for a 72kg rider?

dwrz

by dwrz

Got an email about this thread, so figured I would update.

I'm not sure where I last was when I posted here, but I ended up trying the tire on three rims: Pacenti SL23 v1, Pacenti SL23 v2, and Velocity A23.

I had a friend help me take the tires off and mount them back on. Even so and with the help of tire jacks, the tire was almost impossible to remove from the v1 rims. And we were not able to mount the tire on either the v2 or the A23.

That's three rims, on which I have never had any major difficulties mounting other tires, including Challenge open tubular tires.

I am experimenting with using sealant with latex tubes and open tubulars, so far training only, but no flats, despite bad roads and rain. *knock wood*
it's a solution I am happier with so far.

I am still very disappointed by the Tubeless One's and Schawlbe's response/non-response.

I agree about standardization, though. I don't know -- hopefully someday Shimano will make tires.

Lugan wrote:
dwrz wrote:My experience has been very negative and I do not recommend them. My setup was Pro One 28mm and Pacenti SL23 (version 1).

If I recall correctly, the v1 generation of the SL23 rim were very hard for most people to get most tires onto them - tubeless and clincher alike. I had those rims on a wheelset and had a hard time with Conti 4000S clinchers, though they mounted eventually. I can imagine tubeless tires which are generally slightly smaller diameter could be impossible on those rims. As another responder said above, rims and tires are made within a range of allowable diameters, and my guess is that you unluckily paired a combo that is at the margins for larger diameter rim and smaller diameter tire, and that cause the issue. It's not all tubeless or even just Schwalbe to blame, but the combination. That said, it's still not your fault! I'm not sure how you could know aside from relentlessly trolling through cycling geek forums to see if anyone else tried your intended combination.

Tubeless tires and rims is an interface that probably needs a clearer standard with far less variation. Imagine the other side of your coin with a tire that is on the larger side of the diameter measure and a rim that is on the smaller side: Then you may have problems ever sealing the combination to start, and if it ever seals, could roll off the rim while you're cornering down a mountain at high speed.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well I have mounted the tubeless ones onto Pacenti V1 and the pro one's to V2 rims without any bother. They are easy to get off. So I think you you are doing something wrong. Tubeless tyres need to be a tight fit to seat and seal without the need for compressed air. If I can do it anyone can. I am merely a human being just like you. In fact on the Pacenti rim I get the Swable and IRC tyres on by hand, it is all in the fingers and how I use them. I do not have super strong hands.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

bm0p700f wrote:well I have mounted the tubeless ones onto Pacenti V1 and the pro one's to V2 rims without any bother. They are easy to get off. So I think you you are doing something wrong. Tubeless tyres need to be a tight fit to seat and seal without the need for compressed air. If I can do it anyone can. I am merely a human being just like you. In fact on the Pacenti rim I get the Swable and IRC tyres on by hand, it is all in the fingers and how I use them. I do not have super strong hands.

Not true. Mounting schwalbe pro ones on my Pacenti SL23 v1's is near impossible too. Even with a tyre jack it's a struggle. When i have pushed as much of the bead into tye cater well around tye rim as far I can muscling it by hand, the remaining part if tye bead hangs down 3-4 cm lower than the remaining brake track....if you know what I mean. And the carbon bead doesn't stretch. It's a friken nightmare.
Other cont Gp4000s, Vittoria corsa open and Veloflex master clinchers were tough but with the right (strong!) tyre levers and about 30min they were doable. The tubeless on my rims are not possible without the tyre jack. Even for He-Man

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Then how do I manage? I have put IRC tubeless tyres on my V1 rims by hand and they are proper tight (tighter than schwables on most rims). As I said I am a normal man I am not a gorilla. I am though able to mount tyres by hand that most people fail too. Which means there is something I am doing that others are not. When I see most people mount tyres they are not doing like me that must be it.

Proper tubeless tyre levers help alot though. If you want tight try mounting IRC tubeless tyres on Kinlin rims. They are tight but I do resort to tyre levers for these. I use Campagnolo levers but other flat levers will work. The tyres however are pretty easy to get off with the right lever.

I should do a video really to show everyone how it is done. As I have said before there are only a few truely impossible tyre rim combinations. Vittoria Gato 2.3" 29er MTB tyres on Ryde Trace trail rims, Schwable and IRC tyres on Ryde Pulse sprint and comp rims. I got a schwable one tubeless tyre onto a ryde pulse sprint rim and that was mighty tough and it took an hour to get it off again. Now that is tough combo. What you are doing is possible with the right technique I assure you (I do this alot so practice has made perfect).

mr4fox

by mr4fox

bm0p700f wrote:Then how do I manage? I have put IRC tubeless tyres on my V1 rims by hand and they are proper tight (tighter than schwables on most rims). As I said I am a normal man I am not a gorilla. I am though able to mount tyres by hand that most people fail too. Which means there is something I am doing that others are not. When I see most people mount tyres they are not doing like me that must be it.

Proper tubeless tyre levers help alot though. If you want tight try mounting IRC tubeless tyres on Kinlin rims. They are tight but I do resort to tyre levers for these. I use Campagnolo levers but other flat levers will work. The tyres however are pretty easy to get off with the right lever.

I should do a video really to show everyone how it is done. As I have said before there are only a few truely impossible tyre rim combinations. Vittoria Gato 2.3" 29er MTB tyres on Ryde Trace trail rims, Schwable and IRC tyres on Ryde Pulse sprint and comp rims. I got a schwable one tubeless tyre onto a ryde pulse sprint rim and that was mighty tough and it took an hour to get it off again. Now that is tough combo. What you are doing is possible with the right technique I assure you (I do this alot so practice has made perfect).

Please do a video and post a link here. Who knows, maybe we'll learn something new. But I've read many reports on various forums of people struggling with certain tyre combos on the Pacenti sl23 v1's....why do you think the v2s have a deeper rim well?

Anyway, I suspect it's due to manufacturing tollereances. Some rims are likely a slightly larger diameter than others. And tge same may be true for tyres.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

there is meant to be some variability in tyres, rims less so but I build wheels every day and fit alot of tyres and I dont find the same model of tyre more or less difficult to fit to the same rims when I come to do it again and again. So I do not buy the variability argument at all.

I have to collar someone to do the video maybe my wife can help.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Well then I don't know the answer. But I do know my rims are more difficult to mount clincher/tubeless tyres on than any other bicycle rim I've ever used. I've given the rims and shwalbe Pro Ones to a couple friends to have a crack at and they were blown away at how difficult it was to get them on. Neither were able to mount them without a tyre jack.

To be fair I haven't yet tried mounting my Pro Ones on any other tubeless ready rims to compare. But my SL23 rims are a tighter fit when mounting normal clincher tyres than any other rim I've ever used so I believe my rims are part if the equation.

If you're video doesn't help me out then I'll make a response clip to show how tight my rims/tyre combo is. (Maybe it's different to yours?)
If your tricks do help me out then big thanks in advance!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com