New Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Krackor

by Krackor

I have a pair of these tires now, a 23mm and a 25mm. I've mounted them on WTB ChrisCross i19 wheels.

I could not mount with floor pump and one layer of Stan's tape. I replaced the Stan's with two layers of Gorilla tape and managed to mount both front and rear with very vigorous pumping.

The bead on these tires is the tightest I have ever seen, tighter than normal road clinchers, tubeless CX tires, or tubeless MTB tires. For a while I was not sure I would ever get the tires off my wheels and would have to cut and destroy the tire to do so. I destroyed my thumbs for several days in the process of trying. Eventually I got them off with leather gloves after leaving the wheel outside in the cold to contract the rim.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to actually ride the tires yet.

dvdslw

by dvdslw

thp wrote:Any comparisons to Vittoria Tubeless option?

Are the tubeless Vittoria's available yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phillipivan

by phillipivan

Krackor wrote:I have a pair of these tires now, a 23mm and a 25mm. I've mounted them on WTB ChrisCross i19 wheels.
The bead on these tires is the tightest I have ever seen, tighter than normal road clinchers, tubeless CX tires, or tubeless MTB tires. For a while I was not sure I would ever get the tires off my wheels and would have to cut and destroy the tire to do so. I destroyed my thumbs for several days in the process of trying. Eventually I got them off with leather gloves after leaving the wheel outside in the cold to contract the rim.

This has not been my experience at all, however I don't have the point of references outside of road cycling. I am running them on Fulcrum 3 2 way fits. Easier to get on and off than the original Ones, not as easy as the Veloflex master I mounted the other day. A lever helps to finish off the last bit of the mounting near the valve stem, but no big deal. Easy to inflate without sealant, air compressor, or any jiggery pockery - just a regular track stand pump, but I had that experience with the Ones as well.

Pretty happy with the tire. Corners good, I liked the Ones in the wet, and am confident these will be at least as good.

Lugan

by Lugan

I just mounted S One tires tubeless onto 24mm wide 2016 Boyd Altamount rims and they went on fairly easily. They were a little tight, and I did use tire levers, but they were exactly as tight as I'd expect for tubeless tires. Any less tight and I would have been concerned about them being too loose. By they way, they set up tubeless and retain air very well, at least on those rims.

velomane

by velomane

Just ordered these along with a set of Reynolds Assaults. I'll report here once they've been mounted.

sinill

by sinill

700#25c.... on order delivery date unknown........

-_-:: i,m....sad..........

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Maybe we should split Pro One and S One topics?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

jeffy

by jeffy

velomane wrote:Just ordered these along with a set of Reynolds Assaults. I'll report here once they've been mounted.

I am considering using Pro One with Assault rims, so will be interested to know how they mount up (and what they measure) - what size are you getting?

defride

by defride

Just bought a pair of Pro One for my winter setup. Easton EA90RT front and Shimano 610 rear. The rear is a pig to mount anything too.

I worked in shops many years ago and have done most maintenance myself over the last 25 years and have never not managed to get a tyre on before.

Could not get the the first Pro on the rear, close but using all the tricks I know and then some from scouring the web it just would not go on. Figured I'd try it on the front and see if it would go and once inflated stretch the bead some. It went on tight as with most other tubeless I've mounted, left it inflated for a couple of ours and tried again with it on the rear. Felt like it got a bit closer but still no go.

Pulled the other tire out and wow, the first bead won't go over the front wheel, not even close!! Tried it on a regular clincher wheel and again couldn't get the first bead over. I've never experienced anything like it.

Thoughts anyone?

phil0801

by phil0801

Pro One 25 on Bora Ultra 50 tubeless setup, very hard to mount on bora 50.
I use stan's 55mm valves, no rim tapes needed.

phil0801

by phil0801

Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: img tags removed the pic is too large.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

defride wrote:Just bought a pair of Pro One for my winter setup. Easton EA90RT front and Shimano 610 rear. The rear is a pig to mount anything too.

I worked in shops many years ago and have done most maintenance myself over the last 25 years and have never not managed to get a tyre on before.

Could not get the the first Pro on the rear, close but using all the tricks I know and then some from scouring the web it just would not go on. Figured I'd try it on the front and see if it would go and once inflated stretch the bead some. It went on tight as with most other tubeless I've mounted, left it inflated for a couple of ours and tried again with it on the rear. Felt like it got a bit closer but still no go.

Pulled the other tire out and wow, the first bead won't go over the front wheel, not even close!! Tried it on a regular clincher wheel and again couldn't get the first bead over. I've never experienced anything like it.

Thoughts anyone?

Have you tried cooling the wheels and heating the tires yet? I have my one tubeless on Assault and Attack rims and they went on quite easily.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

defride

by defride

Frankie - B wrote:Thoughts anyone?

Have you tried cooling the wheels and heating the tires yet? I have my one tubeless on Assault and Attack rims and they went on quite easily.

Yes, tried that

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I needed four hands and suuuuper strong tyre levers. Still took over ten minutes per tyre. Too scared to ride them in the cold now for fear of hypothermia if I cut a tyre and get stuck. Have since bought steel reinforced tyre levers (Park tools) for when they need to be removed.

Definitely seems this problem is very rim dependant. I have pacenti sl23 v1's and even normal clinchers are much harder to mount than on another wheel I've used previously. Others haven't had the same issues I have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

mr4fox wrote:I needed four hands and suuuuper strong tyre levers. Still took over ten minutes per tyre. Too scared to ride them in the cold now for fear of hypothermia if I cut a tyre and get stuck. Have since bought steel reinforced tyre levers (Park tools) for when they need to be removed.

Definitely seems this problem is very rim dependant. I have pacenti sl23 v1's and even normal clinchers are much harder to mount than on another wheel I've used previously. Others haven't had the same issues I have.

you need to carry this while riding:

and this at home: