Look ZED2 crank q-factor?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

I'm considering a Look 695 frameset and seems like you gotta use their cranks. I've gotten used to a very narrow Q-factor from BB30 + Cannondale SISL crankset which is 144mm and anything larger than that causes me knee pain. I've searched up and down Google for 2 days and couldn't arrive at any published figure for Look's ZED2 cranks. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

audiojan

by audiojan

I used to have a Look 596 with the ZedTech crank. It's my FAR the narrowest crank I've ever used, incl PF30 SRAM Red, Campy SR, etc. etc. etc.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Thanks that really helps. I was on a SRAM Force 22 PF30 crank and that was too wide for me, causing agonising knee pain. I believe they are the same q-factor as SRAM RED cranks. If it's narrower than that, it should work! I was really hoping someone could take a ruler and measure the q-factor, it's really not in ANY literature from Look!

zulu695

by zulu695

I will try to measure it tonight.

superdx

by superdx

Thank you so much!

zulu695

by zulu695

I measured 148mm, let me know if it makes sense.

superdx

by superdx

Thanks that helped. It's wider than I expected. When you measured, did you go all the way to the outside of the crank? Where the pedal screws in, is there a bit of an indent? Would you say that the indent is 1-2mm?

zulu695

by zulu695

yes I measured where the pedal are attached, for the indent not sure, it is minimal probably 1 mm each side at most. Here is how I measured it, I put a tape under my down tube, I draw a line in the center on the tape and then put the cranckarm in line with the downtube and then I used a sliding set square and put the sliding portion flushed with the carbon where the pedal are attached. Did the same for the other side and added them together. Probably not the most precised measured (maybe 1-2mm of play), but the best I could do.

Have you tried asking Look directly ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Really appreciate your efforts, thanks so much. Probably means that the Look crank is 145mm q-factor.

Yeah, I sent an email last week to Look. They redirected my inquiry to a local dealer who wasn't able to answer my question. They didn't even know what q-factor was. Pretty sure not going to buy from them!