Super Record Mechanical 11 speed Performance/colour schemes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Hi Guys, I'm looking to replace my Sram Red 10 speed groupset with a Super Record mechanical groupset on my 2014 Cervelo S3. All off the stuff will be bought second hand to meet my budget.

Thing is I'm a bit confused by the logo changes and the variating qualities of the sets.

If I understand it well, the groups from 2013 and on have a hughely improved overall performance, is this right?

When did Campagnolo use which logo's (i.e. the white box around the 11, the red box, or no box at all)

Hope you guys can help me out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shaolin

by shaolin

2015 logo is white number in red rounded square. Name of the group (at least for Super Record) is white font on black background.

Older (2014?) is black number in red square. Black font no background.

More or less like here (crankset box is 2015, bb cups 2014 I think and below SR2015 in real life, quite easy to recognise derailleurs and cranks as they are completely different from 2014 and older models):

Performance of SR2015 is stellar!

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

thanks alot, great overview, the 2015 version sounds amazing surely considering it, just the budget..

Could anybody comment on the pre-2014 groups?

shaolin

by shaolin

You will live only once so don't think about the budget... :wink:

But to be serious - I have 2007 10sp Centaur carbon. Got 2nd hand bike with it. I only changed cables and housings and it works perfect. So I'm guessing for the groupsets 2008-2014 it can be only better. And recently 2nd hand 2014 SR and Record are sold for such a price that you will definitely keep your wallet happy and performance will be stunning as always for Campy (yes, I am a fan of Campagnolo... :mrgreen:).

tommasini

by tommasini

2009-2010 has all white graphics. These have a lighter spring in the rear derailleur and lighter touch on the rear shifter. I'd suggest steering clear if you might have any issues with cable routing as these were a bit more sensitive to cable friction. Other componets from that era are fine and pretty much had no changes from then and into 2014.

2011-2014 has a small amount of red color in the graphics (at least Chorus/Record/Super record). Anything from that period will be great.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

I think this is what you're looking for I was think about buy them myself. I would ask him about the FD

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133649&hilit=+campagnolo
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133764&hilit=+campagnolo

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Thanks a lot for the answers and suggestions! Now I really know what I should get.

@Blackmadone: good suggestion, I'm based in Europe though, so I'll have a look around here.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would get 2015 shifters and derailleurs so you are current. If you go with earlier stuff, you are not compatible with what they currently sell.

If you are on a budget then look at Chorus. Super Record and even Record is never worth it in a cost benefit/analysis. And most of the weight savings is in the ti cassette which I imagine you are not buying on a budget. Study this link:

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/us/Compo ... /cc-8.aspx

You can use your money more wisely in wheels and other components to save weight.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

For what it's worth, I had been riding the 2013 super record group for about 15,000 miles. Superb quality. But just built up a new bike with the 2015 super record stuff (kept my 2013 crankset though) and the 2015 stuff is actually a huge improvement even though I had absolutely no complaints with my older stuff.

Shifts are much quicker and much much more positive. The new FD shifting is soooo light and requires very little effort or force by the lever when going up to the big ring. The rear dérailleur has revised progressive spring rates I guess, which makes it shift much better towards the small cogs. Also the hoods on the new shifters are an improvement as well.

It will be harder to find the 2015 stuff second hand, obviously, but if you can hold out and get the newer shifters, FD and RD, I would highly recommend it. Like I said, 2014 stuff is excellent, but 2015 is even better. Noticeably better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

As others said above, if you're not looking to save every gram of weight possibl and/or don't care about max bling factor, buy record/chorus shifters and dérailleurs and save way more weight with a lighter crankset and wheels with the money you saved. The weight differences between record drive parts and super record is so marginal while the cost is very different.