11 speed campagnolo and IRC 11-32 Cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

As you may know campy only makes 12-29 in 11 speed and 12-30 as the maximum cassette options in 10 speed.

I´ve found several threads online with riders describing using a record long cage 10 speed rear der with the irc 12-32 or even 34 cassettes. I am however on 11 speed and am contemplating using the Athena triple rear der with the IRC cassette to have some serious mountain gears to ride in the Dolomites. Basically a campy version of SRAM Wifli but since campy only goes up to 29 in 11 speed and only makes one length rear der for 11 speed... I´m wondering if anyone here has any experience with this combo. I can see that there is a tripple 11 speed Athena rear derailleur that might fit with the IRC cassette and a compact crankset for those seriously steep ascents the dolomites offer.

Usually I ride 53/39 11-23 so the above setup is what I want to put on my climbing bike. Anyone tried it?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There is a misconception that is common, that a longer cage allows a bigger sprocket to be run.

Wrong.

The upper pulley clearance is the same, regardless of the cage length. The longer cage is there to wrap more chain. Max for a short cage is around 32T. ((max-min) cassette + chainrings)

The answer to your question is "maybe'', and the reason it is maybe, is that frame and RD hanger dimensions can vary within Campy specs. So if your hanger is on the short side - then probably no. If on the long side - then perhaps a 32T sprocket will work.

Remember to back out the "H" screw.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

numbers505

by numbers505

Have you seen this clip yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FA7BU3cylY

I've ordered the same cassette to give it a try.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have used many combinations of campy gearing. On 10sp I have had short, medium and long cage dérailleurs (long cage for triple back in the day and medium to use the 29 with a double). On 11sp the dérailleur has enough wrap that it can accommodate anything from 11/23 up to a 29 cog at the back. With a standard crank (39/53) I have the chain set up as long as I can that is properly within spec which enables me to use any cassette from 11 (smallest cog) through to 29 (large cog) without having to change chain length and only needing an adjustment of the b-screw. I would need to shorten the chain some for a 34/50 front combo. I am about to try the 36/52 combo for the first time and I will put it on first with the chain I am currently running (with 39/53) just to see which gears would be unusable and how much I will need to shorten the chain. I generally always try to stay within spec and if I do try something a bit out of spec I am fully aware of the potential issues and ride accordingly.
For instance, I would NEVER run a chain that is too short even if I knew I couldn't use the 1 or 2 largest cogs simply because it's easy to forget and go there, then boom your dérailleur snaps off and bad things happen. On the other hand I have "sometimes" used a bit longer chain for a temporary change of gearing for a major climb knowing I'd be changing back to my 39/53 afterwards. Usually means I can't really use a few smallest cogs in combo with the smallest ring up front. But no big deal there.
One thing, if you have a very early 2009 11sp rear dérailleur there is an easy modification you can make as it was originally not designed to accommodate a 29tooth cog. I have never tried a 32 cog with 11sp so I'd guess you'd need to do some experimenting. If you could swing it, maybe get a mid (36/52) or even 34/50 crank for the serious climbing stuff and stay within recommended specs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Numbers... no I have not thank you!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Video did not show the most important thing - clearance between the upper pulley and 32T sprocket.

And as I said, the frame dimensions are what matter anyway.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm getting older all the time and decided to try 11-32 this year on my travel bike. I didn't know there was an IRD cassette that would work with my Campy freehub so switched my White hub to Shimano and am using an Ultegra.

The bike is a custom Moots with S&S couplings and a 41 cm chainstay. It was originally built with Chorus 11 (2014 vintage) and a 12-29. Worked great. Took it to my mechanical wizard with the parts to convert it including an Athena triple derailleur and new chain. He put the cassette on and tried it with the old chain and Chorus derailleur. No go. Same chain and Athena derailleur worked. Same old chain, not longer. I just came back from 800 km in the Pyrenees with the bike. It worked just fine. Shifting was off a bit initially but a bit of fiddling with the rear screw fixed that. It's kind of clunky in some shifts but they all work. I also had an Ultegra 11-28 cassette since I was happy in the Alps last year with the 29 and wondered if I wanted the 32. First hilly ride was Pierre-Saint-Martin (see this year's Tour first Pyrenees stage) and I decided that I loved the 32. So much that one of the other guys on the trip converted his Shimano 10 bike to use a 32 and loved it was well.

Yes, the bike can affect whether the combo will work but you probably have a pretty good chance with it.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I have used the IRD cassette with a medium cage RD and double crankset, and I now use 12-30 with a 26/36/46 triple - all run on Record 10 speed.

My lowest gear of 26 chainring/30 sprocket is to get me up hills in the UK and not when I ride in Northern Italy. Your thinking is way off if you think you will encounter lots of steep hills in the Dolomites.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Just to clarify.

I´m going to try to use the combo 50/34 with an IRC 11-32 cassette and maybe the athena triple rd. I´m looking for others who have tried it!

I want it for steep ascents were talking the around 20% that for example Zoncoclan offer at it´s max and in high altitude. I´m not a natural climber I usually ride flatter terrain. I had no problems in the Pyrenees with 50/34 and 12-29 but the steepest climb for me there was Col de Marie-Blanque which has a maximum of 12%... Dolomites are definitely steeper and no I wont put a triple on my bike ;-)

If it works I might use it on Paterberg as well.... that little hill (also 20% and not in high altitude) gets me every time so far.. But admittedly I ride the Flanders with standard 53/39 and 12-25.

audiojan

by audiojan

I'm riding grades steeper than that on a regular basis with 50-36 Q-rings and 12-29… and I'm far from in shape and by now quite a bit over my ideal weight (about 10kgs, darn injuries!).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Thx c50jiim. I think I´ll give it a go as well.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

I'm thrilled to have found this thread. Would love to go to a 32t. Anyone tried shimano or sram 11-32 cassettes with campy drivetrain?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

With Campag 10 speed you could in lots of cases go larger than a standard 29/32t sprocket. With 11 speed there is less possibility owing to changes in RD design, but sometimes it is not until you have actually tried it - with your own frame and set-up - until you find whether something works or not.

I see lots of people struggling up hills because they are dumb asses that do not understand the benefits that triples can offer.

MrCiclo

by MrCiclo

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:I'm thrilled to have found this thread. Would love to go to a 32t. Anyone tried shimano or sram 11-32 cassettes with campy drivetrain?

A friend of mine runs a combination of Ultegra 6800 11-32 with Chorus shifter/derailleur, without problem. I believe his groupset is a 2013 vintage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”