KMC X11SL DLC BLACK chain - very disappointed !

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I only run KMC chains across 3 bikes - ultegra di2 x1, Sram red x 2. Gold coating has never worn off. I have only snapped one chain, might not have installed the quick link properly.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

No problems with KMC chains X10sl or X11sl. I have been using them for last 6 years on various bikes always perfect, slightly noisier than record 11 chain on Campagnolo setup, but crisper shifting (ever so slightly).

The gold coating does wear off, but shouldn't do so before the chain is cooked anyway! Threw away the one from my winter bike yesterday, with slight loss of the gold colour, but that's after probably 4000miles of wet weather abuse!

DLC coating should last even longer. There are fake DLC chains out there so i hear...

cendres

by cendres

I've been using KMC chains for more than 10 years on all sorts of bikes. I've never been anything but pleased. However, something strange happened with my most recent X11SL silver.

I was using it with an Ultegra 6800 12-25 cassette. When on the 21 cog, there was a steady clunk-clunk-clunk noise, sort of like a small stone embedded in the tire. No noise on any other cog. The cassette has less than 500 miles on it and was never subjected to a worn chain. I went through a whole rigmarole trying different combinations of cassettes, chains, hubs and bikes trying to chase down the noise. Stupidly, I never suspected the chain, but that's what it was.

Anyone else experienced this?

Lafolie

by Lafolie

my bike shop just heard back from KMC........Apparently they have an issue with the 'black' chain which they are working on!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Good to know! I actually have the black/ red at home now. Never heard of this before!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.