Fizik saddle, hurting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am sure this had been covered many times.

I currently have a Fizik Antares R1 saddle, I run 23c Schwable One around 100psi. But finding this saddle is just killing me after 30-50miles. I have a pair of Castelli bibs which helped, but once my sit bones start aching my performances drops off. I have had this saddle for 10months now.

I do tend to be more forwards on the saddle, the saddle is pretty far forwards on the rails anyway.

I know saddles are a personal thing, but if the Fizik doesn't sit well with me, what else is there that isn't Fizik shape/style?

rosenbergemil

by rosenbergemil

I really like the aesthetics of Fizik saddles and tried the full range (Arione, Antares, Aliante and Kurve versions) without any luck. I'm comfortable on a Specialized Romin Evo to date.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

In such circumstances, I would say that if you are sure you have your saddle height and fore/aft position are set correctly then experiment with tilt - slighty pointed nose up/slightly pointed nose down. But if your saddle position is wrong in the first place you need to sort out your fit.

kode54

by kode54

i went from a Fizik Aliante, then to the Antares 00, and finally on the Arione 00. initially, the dip of the Aliante was fine starting out...but as i got more flexible on the bike, my positions change more front and aft...the Arione was best for that.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Now i come in and say, why do you think i have about 10 saddles!!!
Try Bontrager Hilo XXX...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

uraqt

by uraqt

Only 10 : )

The Castelli pad is on the thin side, I would say.... : ) not to say that you shouldn't be able to to get 70 to 80 miles : )

C

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Not all saddles fit all bums. It could very well be that your bum and the Fizik Antares don't get along.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

wingguy

by wingguy

PLuKE wrote:I know saddles are a personal thing, but if the Fizik doesn't sit well with me, what else is there that isn't Fizik shape/style?

Loads. Heck, even every other Fizik saddle feels quite different to the Antares!

Every brand has a way of guesstimating which of their saddles should work for you (which you can use to narrow down the options) but more importantly most have widespread demo programs too. Find a shop that carries several brands and has demos in stock and start testing.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

it's like finding the holy grail! I went through the complete range of fizik....couldn't get on with them. Settled for the most comfortable saddle ever. Prologo Scratch Nack - best I have ever owned !

izabala

by izabala

I had a Antares kium with good feelings until it started to hurt after 1,5hrs. I've had a Toupe Pro, good shape, but after some time, it begun to hurt after many hours rides. Had a Antares VS, I can't get used to. Now I've purchased a Antares R3 braided. What I like most in the pictures is the flat shape, but mine has come with a curvature, the back and the nose are higher than the center. Much like the Aspide, Concor or Toupe. I've never seen any picture of tbe Antares like this. Any experience? Are there many versions from Fizik?

Rick

by Rick

Unfortunately, it seems like there is really no foolproof way to gage saddle comfort from someone else's recommendations.
I have tried some top-name saddles that ended up feeling like I was being hit in the crotch with a 2x4 after a few miles.
Then, some no-name saddles felt pretty good.
Right now I am on a Pro Turnix carbon. It is very lightly padded, but seems to fit the contours of my crotch very well. Basically, I don't think it is very "comfortable", but on the other hand I just stop thinking about it and have lots of other more important complaints at the end of a Century ride.
I also find the Selle Italia Turbomatic pretty good (both the flow and non-flow versions)
The discontinued Selle Italia Signo was pretty good.
I recently tried a Selle San Marco Concor, which was much more comfortable than I was expecting, but seemed to have convex contour right where my prostate area wanted to see a concave area, so it became uncomfortable after a couple hrs.
I found the Fizik Aliante to be very comfy for short rides but it gradually felt like it was creating painful pressure towards the front of the sitting area on longer rides.
It seems like you can't properly assess a saddle until you have done at least on long ride, because they are all pretty tolerable for the first two hrs, but can be driving you absolutely insane after 4+ hrs.

Dez33

by Dez33

PLuKE wrote:I know saddles are a personal thing, but if the Fizik doesn't sit well with me, what else is there that isn't Fizik shape/style?

It's very much trial and error. About 6-7 years ago I went through 9 saddles trying to find one that suited me, the Fizik Antares :D

If there is any sort of logic that we are maybe the opposites in terms of saddle fit I can suggest the worst of the 9 I tried. Prologo Nago and Specialized Romin. Lot's love those saddles but they just didn't suit me. But again, it's trial and error.

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

^ There might be a clue in there - my bum hates fizik saddles too and gets on with a romin quite nicely - I was wondering which prologo to try - thanks Dez, that could be a starting point... :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nutty

by nutty

i got a pro turnix carbon saddle, seemed like the SLR of the Aliante...if you get what i mean...anyways, I do have 1 new and 1 used to let go, if anyone interested do PM me.