Tubular Tire - Sealant Users

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

So - I've come from the world of clinchers.

Got my tubulars. I put sealant in them. Went for a ride on them yesterday. All good.

Today - I attach the pump - and it's like a sealant explosion. Shoots out everywhere.

This might be stupid or obvious - but - I've always attached my pump when the valve is on the ground - so I get leverage to attach it - is that wrong with sealant filled tires?

Should the valve ny at the top of the tire when filling with air now?

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I aim for 3 or 9 o'clock on tires with sealant

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

12 o'clock here. Also helps to clear the valve by releasing some air with a couple taps before attaching the pump head.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Sealant just kills the ride of tubulars in my opinion. Why add it until you need it? With your next set of tires,leave it out. Bring a valve core remover, the canned sealant and an inflator. Also bring a phone because sealant usually does not work anyway. (Perhaps buy a super light tubular like one from Tufo to use as a "ride spare" to get you home in an emergency.)

As for where to position the tire for inflation with sealant, follow Hornedfrog's recommendation.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

+1

Sealant is only for after you've punctured
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

McGilli wrote:So - I've come from the world of clinchers.

Got my tubulars. I put sealant in them. Went for a ride on them yesterday. All good.

Today - I attach the pump - and it's like a sealant explosion. Shoots out everywhere.

This might be stupid or obvious - but - I've always attached my pump when the valve is on the ground - so I get leverage to attach it - is that wrong with sealant filled tires?

Should the valve ny at the top of the tire when filling with air now?

Haha.... i'm sorry!

Done same thing and it's a mess. I noted you got some tips so i say better luck round 2 ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

grouk

by grouk

+1

Sealant is only for after you've punctured

superdx

by superdx

I have sealant in my tires pretty much all the time because I puncture like 8 times a year. I don't find that it degrades the ride quality much, if anything.

Pretty interesting that the OP finds sealant blowing out everywhere if the valve is at the 6 o'clock position. I kinda want to get rid of some sealant in my rear tire!

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Noticed a little puncture the other night. Stan's sealant has always done the trick for me. One little bottle and good to go for month. Never had a puncture I wasn't able to fix with Stan's and by the way, it doesn't make a single difference in the ride feel.

lannes

by lannes

How much sealant did you put in ?, usually 25ml is adquate

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I just put the complete little bottle in. I don't know how much ml it is, but like I mentioned before you are not able to feel any difference anyway. The last time I fixed a tire I rode the same at least 3000 miles.

em3

by em3

How much you put in depends on the type. I use Bontrager TLR and have had AMAZING success using only about 25ml (approx 1 ounce or half of their small little size) after I get a puncture. Remember that sealant will not prevent flats, it will only seal small holes after you experience a puncture. More importantly, a hole will usually not get plugged by the sealer unless you pull out the obstruction...so there is no use in filling tire with sealant before getting a flat because after you flat you will still need to remove obstruction in order to get a full seal with the sealant. EM3

fogman

by fogman

I have both PitStop and Stan's. Fortunately, I have never had a tubular flat and therefore never had to use either. What is the proper technique for using these if and/or when I do puncture in the future?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

audiojan

by audiojan

Never used sealant with tubulars, but using it now with tubeless. In the last 3 years, I haven't had a single flat. Replacing the tire before the beginning of the season and it's obvious that I should've had a few punctures… just a lot of small cuts. I'm going to go tubular on my next wheel set, so I'm thinking I'm going to use sealant in those as well. A small sacrifice in weight, but well worth the peace of mind.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

never use sealant in tubular. On my favoured bike for very long rides I have conti competition tubs. There is sealant in them. On the last 200+ mile ride I did overnight I did puncture but I did not know as the sealant took care of it, I only noticed as they was white "spunk" all over the saddle bag with the spare tubs tucked inside. Glad I had sealant in there as changing a tub in the dark would have only slowed me down. So sealant in tubs is fine I dont alway put some in but when I have it in I am always glad that I did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com