Tubular Tire - Sealant Users

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lannes

by lannes

Frankie13 wrote:I just put the complete little bottle in. I don't know how much ml it is, but like I mentioned before you are not able to feel any difference anyway. The last time I fixed a tire I rode the same at least 3000 miles.

The small stan's bottle is about 60ml (2oz's), so you put triple the amount in the tyre, no wonder the sealant sprayed out everywhere.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

lannes wrote:
Frankie13 wrote:I just put the complete little bottle in. I don't know how much ml it is, but like I mentioned before you are not able to feel any difference anyway. The last time I fixed a tire I rode the same at least 3000 miles.

The small stan's bottle is about 60ml (2oz's), so you put triple the amount in the tyre, no wonder the sealant sprayed out everywhere.

I never said my sealant sprayed out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zak

by Zak

For those of you who use sealant as alle the time in the tubs, how do you avoid that the valve gets clogged over time? I always have this problem.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Frankie13 wrote:Noticed a little puncture the other night. Stan's sealant has always done the trick for me. One little bottle and good to go for month. Never had a puncture I wasn't able to fix with Stan's and by the way, it doesn't make a single difference in the ride feel.

Agreed in respect of Stans - the little bottle fits in my seatpack too. An entire bottle though in one go though?! Overkill!

People who say sealant ruins the ride of tubs are talking complete bollocks.

lannes

by lannes

Frankie13 wrote:
lannes wrote:

I never said my sealant sprayed out!

Sorry, must have been another poster

Krull

by Krull

IamnotWiggins wrote:
People who say sealant ruins the ride of tubs are talking complete bollocks.

agree. nobody using his tubulars in competitions?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

if the valve gets clogged take the valve core out and remove the sealant plug with a pin or similar.

Getter

by Getter

The sealant is going to pool at the bottom of the tire. So if you pump at the 6 o'clock position...of course the sealant is going to come out. I use about half a bottle of Stan's. I'm surprised on how long the stuff lasts in a road tube. I have to add a cup or two to my mountain tires (tubeless) every 3-4 months.

I ran my tubs with and without sealant. I couldn't tell the difference. If there is one...it's not enough for me to feel. :noidea:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't add sealant before getting a flat simply because if I'm lucky enough to wear the tire down and replace it before it punctures I can still use it as a spare, which I wouldn't be able to if it had sealant in it. If I flat on the road, I'll remove the valve core and put about an ounce (30ml) of Orange Seal (currently trying) in and let it settle where the hole is, or at least where I think it is. Then I replace the valve core and use a road pump to pump it up (Lezyne Road Drive). I have good luck with this although my punctures are so rare that I don't have enough data to say what percentage of the time it actually works. Guess it depends. I do not like areosol sealants like Pitstop because it seems it's really hit and miss and if it doesn't take the first shot you're done. Have used Stans and Tufo Extreme sealants with success. Trying Orange Seal now because I've heard good things and so far it's worked for me as well. It's supposed to have varying sizes of particulates in it which is claimed to provide a better plugging of the hole.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

justaroadie

by justaroadie

Orange Seal for me. It's worked better than stans.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

justaroadie wrote:Orange Seal for me. It's worked better than stans.

Haven't been able to find Orange Seal here in Oz :cry:
BB

Coffee & carbon