Nice rims in 24/28 hole

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

0psi

by 0psi

So I got myself a nice set of Kappius hubs in 24 hole front and 28 hole rear. Didn't think much of the hole count at the time, figured it would build a slightly stiffer, stronger wheelset for little weight penalty. Had planned on building these hubs up with Enve rims but they are only available in 20/24 and it seems many nice rims only go up to a 24 hole.

Any suggestions for a nice set of rims in 24/28 something around the 30-50mm depth and 23-26mm wide. Not too fussed if they are clincher or tubular. Carbon is preferable but I'm open to suggestions for a decent alloy rim provided it isn't too heavy and close to 30mm in depth.

So far Corima is top of the list but it's a bit hard to find real world opinions about them.

Stans I'm not a fan of as they can't take a particularly high spoke tension. Hsons Archetype are probably a touch heavier than I'd like and the American classic 2218s are on the shallow side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

Friend of me is rebuildimg my enve clincher wheels (after few miles front and rear developped cracks at the carbon bladder plug)
He suggested reynolds 35 mm custom rims which are wider than enves and available in 24/28

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The ENVE SES rims only come in 20/24, but the 25 and 45 non-SES rims come in the drillings you need.

Pacenti is an alu rim that shaves weight from the H+Son.

Corima rims are really a good option. The newer rims are slightly wider. Plus, they are far more affordable than ENVE, but still come with some brand protection (i.e. Compared to Chinese rims) if that is something that ticks a box for you.

Slagter

by Slagter

Chinese farsports rims are very good and come in a lot of different holecounts, widths and depths. I really don't get why people pay so much for brand name rims, when the difference is close to non existent.

I own two pairs and they ride better than anything I have ridden before.

0psi

by 0psi

Slagter wrote:Chinese farsports rims are very good and come in a lot of different holecounts, widths and depths. I really don't get why people pay so much for brand name rims, when the difference is close to non existent.

I own two pairs and they ride better than anything I have ridden before.

I've ridden several sets of Chinese rims from various brands and I'm yet to be impressed with any of them.

I'd consider running them on a mountain bike but the brake track seems to deteriorate far too quickly on the road wheels IMO. Might be okay if you live somewhere flat but I live in the Blue Mountains which as you might guess, is a bit lumpy!

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Very happy with my Pacenti SL23 v2/2015 rims. ~410 grams but stiffest alu rim I've built with. Could use Pillar megalite spokes to get back a bit of the weight, should still be solid if you are <85kg

Slagter

by Slagter

Which model Farsports rims have you ridden Opsi (width, depth and yearmodel)? And for how many kms did you ride them?

Thirstyman

by Thirstyman

another vote for pacenti if anyone is interested in aluminum. dam fine clincher rims.

Marin

by Marin

Another vote for Farsports, I have 3 sets, all without issues. I ride in the Alps.

0psi

by 0psi

Slagter wrote:Which model Farsports rims have you ridden Opsi (width, depth and yearmodel)? And for how many kms did you ride them?

Not sure mate. They were standard width (19mm) 50mm deep V shaped rim from 4-5 years ago. More recently I've spent a bit of time with some Light-Bicycle rims and they seem okay but still not up to par with my Enve's or the new Profile Design 24s. Yishun bike rims look quite good but I'm weary given my personal experience with China rims so far.

It's also worth noting that I don't pay retail for my bike gear :) That brings the price difference down a bit between the China (where I pay the same price as everyone else) and the brand names where the worst deal I'll get is wholesale pricing.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I have both the Pacenti SL23 v1 and the Yishun rims mentioned. Both are fantastic and I've been very impressed with both and they come in the drillings you want. I have lengthy reviews of both on my blog. Links below if you want to see more pics and specs. Bottom line, you'd be happy with either but the Pacenti don't come in deep profiles.

http://bit.ly/Yishunwheels
http://bit.ly/pacentisl23

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Well this is bizarre. I got a set of the exact same hubs in the same spoke count from Brady Kappius a couple of months back - and if you mean 'Blue Mountains' as in NSW, Australia, then 0psi and I don't live too far apart either.

Having had my original rim choice plans (Ligero DMs) seemingly go south, I'm also on the hunt. Circa 40mm tubulars are my plan, but I'm not exactly sure which rims. I'm also not keen on Chinese rims - tell me all you like that "they're fine", but I need the confidence of the brand name quality, even if it will cost me more.

From the mentions above, the Corimas get my vote, but I'm interested to hear what else is out there...

0psi

by 0psi

BikeTart wrote:and if you mean 'Blue Mountains' as in NSW, Australia, then 0psi and I don't live too far apart either.

To answer your question. . . . 'Straya kent'! :beerchug: Hahaha.

I e-mailed Brady a while back to get the hub dimensions so that I could work out spoke lengths and he mentioned that the road hubs are so rare that they are almost mythical. What are the chances that there'd be two sets in the same state down here in Oz? I know there are a few sets of the mountain bike hubs floating around as the Marathon MTB were or are using them but I wasn't aware of anyone else having the road hubs.

I'll let you know what I end up doing with mine and then we'll have to hook up for a ride. If only to annoy people with the whirr and near instant engagement of our freehubs!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

0psi wrote:To answer your question. . . . 'Straya kent'! :beerchug: Hahaha.

Ha!

Even more bizarrely, I know of a third set over here - albeit in Melbourne. Perhaps they're so rare because they all came over here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

964Cup

by 964Cup

Enve 45. Lighter than SES. SES is probably ultimately faster, but only with the right set of legs.