Oval Chainring Users - does you chain ever fall off?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

Hey all.

Started using some Doval chainrings yesterday - and if I gear from small front ring to large chain ring when the 'smallest' part of the ring is coming over (crank arm at 3 or 9 o'clock position) the chain will shift right past the chainring outside to the crank arm.

So - this only happens at 2 positions on the crank - all other positions it switches normally.

Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust the FD for these? Or is this something that is common?

My chainrings did not include any instructions - and I can't find any on the internet (Doval Rings) - I contacted the company and they said they don't have any in English - Regardless - would Q Rotor instructions work the same?
Last edited by McGilli on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

From my own experience it's pretty frustrating to get it to shift acceptably. And even then I still have the odd problem. Though mine is dropping on the inside.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Make sure you run the FD just above the tallest tooth - like the width of a penny (or 5c piece for australians) Be careful with your limit screws. I run Q rings on 3 bikes with no issues. Just be careful with your setup and you'll be fine.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My osymetric might drop chain if I try to shift from small to large ring while the chain is on the 11t-15t cogs... I just make sure it's on the upper half of the cassette first. Check that this is the real problem and if so perhaps a little mindfulness is all that's needed. I hardly uses the small ring so it's no biggie for me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

grouk

by grouk

all ready use doval very poor shifting now with qxl no problems but the poor shifting is solved with a chain catcher

Geoff

by Geoff

I had been 'experimenting' with non-round rings for a number of years. In the final analysis, I was pretty convinced that there was a small benefit for certain, specific applications. I ran both of the 'Q'-Rings and the Osymetric rings. The adjustment of the front derailleur does take some doing, but it is no problem. While the use of chain-keepers is universally a good idea, it is almost a necessity for non-round rings.

dha

by dha

Geoff wrote: While the use of chain-keepers is universally a good idea, it is almost a necessity for non-round rings.

I concur, as does my slightly damaged frame when my chain dropped and got trapped during a race two weeks ago.

Marin

by Marin

Same issues (with SRAM) here, I run Yaw 22 on 2 bikes, and perfect adjustment is critical, but if I'm not careful it will still overshift onto the crank arm.

No issues with the 3rd bike with Ultegra though, but that one is on 34/46 while the others have 34/50.

moefoemil

by moefoemil

I used to run Doval rings on my Ribble and found them a nightmare to set up. You have to get the FD adjustment spot on otherwise it overshifts or takes ages to jump onto the large ring. Even after I got it set up perfectly, after a couple of rides it would need doing again. Because of all this I ended up going back to my Rotor NoQ's.
This was just my personal experience of them, it may be different for other people. I found a couple of videos on YouTube that helped a bit, might be worth having a look.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

My setup and experience no matter how many adjustments I go through
Q-Rings on TT bike with Di2 - from small to big ring shifting must be done without full power onto the pedals
Q-Rings on 10-speed and 11-speed Red - best to shift from small to big at certain pedal position and with a bit less power on the pedals
In both cases if not done as indicated the chain skips and does not stick on the big ring
I got used to it and really enjoy the ovals
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

audiojan

by audiojan

I've been using Q-rings on all my bikes for quite a few years now (almost 10 years)… It does take quite a bit of work to set up the front derailleur to get it to shift smoothly and you want to avoid shifting under power. I rarely drop a chain, but when it does, it's usually that I haven't set up the derailleur to 100%, neglected to clean the chain and shifted under a bit more power than I really should've...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

prebsy

by prebsy

zero issues when i was running dovals. On the osymetrics i could drop the chain simply from cross chaining. I guess in some cases you need to just accept some cage rub for a bit of added security.

ricey155

by ricey155

Q rings mines fell off twice no idea why tho #Random

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

Getter

by Getter

Using Q-rings since 2012 and I've had no issues with the chain falling off in any situation. On 10 speed SRAM Red. I did have a real hard time setting them up to shift properly though. As long as I'm at a "normal" pedaling cadence...the shifts are immediate...but if I'm slow pedaling down my street...then the chain will drag a bit before moving up to the big ring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com