power2max type s or quarq elsa?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cure

by cure

Im thinking about getting a crank powermeter. Im deciding between the power2max type s(3d+) and quarq elsa. I guess the weight isn’t much (45-50g difference? Compact 110bcd 170mm bb30) but the price difference from my sources that I will be purchasing from is that p2m is 200 extra dollars. I currently have a sram red exogram…so sticking with a bb30. I didn’t factor in p2m fsa kforce light, read lots about the pedal comes loose? Fsa hasn’t resolved this or… I’ve been reading forums but getting good & bad comments on both. As far as services I think both are fairly equal but what about the electronics’ durability? How about warranty issues, post-warranty 2 yrs? I read numerous ppl with troubles and sending quarq back multiple times…that’s a pain and I would like to avoid that if possible…didn’t hear much from p2m about this, can anybody give experience and opnions about either?

Im trying to justify whether to go p2m or quarq based on reliability and price mostly. I appreciate your help in advance!
i love udon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Several PM's working without problems. The choice is clear for me (although I have original Quarq Cinq since 2011 as well with like 30000km on it)

The only downside - power2max tends to empty the battery at least 2x faster than Quarq (usually 200 hours is max I've got out of them on a single battery)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

cure

by cure

oh, you are still using quarq cinq? did you have to ever send back for repair/ replacement parts because damage or water ingress? if so, how often, I wonder if it would be worth getting a crank based pm all together...spending this much scares me
i love udon.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Yes, it's worth it.

I have a P2M (S type) and it's been flawless. Wife has a Cinqo and it's been flawless as well. She never gets it wet, so I can't speak to it's weather resistance.

Truthfully, pretty much all of the PMs are great nowadays. Your choice is really based on crank choices, aesthetic and price.

dcrainmaker.com is a great source for PM info too.

grouk

by grouk

p2m type s where 30000km flawless and jump in two bikes. a friend with quarq isnt so happy

tinozee

by tinozee

I use a sram red quarq, no issues, love it.

Grill

by Grill

I have 2 P2M's and they've been great. Replaced the battery on the first one after a year and half and the second is still going strong.

cure

by cure

i read all dcrain forum, commented as well...read all the comments too :P

i read temperature will cause battery to die faster in cold weather maybe that's why some ppl say battery life in p2m is good/bad? i only like quarq for the ease of battery change. i have a caad9 52cm, not sure how easy to pop out rubber plugs and unscrew for the p2m...

i thought of sram red quarq but i wanted to change back to traditional 5 bolt 110bcd and not hidden...only so i can use like praxis,qrings or whatever in future. so i eliminated that choice and read that the chainrings on red don't shift as well? i cant say because i only ever owned sram chainrings.
i love udon.

grouk

by grouk

a renata batery for my p2m cost 2€ at any local store, the cover of the batery is two screws 5 min to change batery

cure

by cure

its the extra $200 usd, im still trying to justify in the P2M...

is it possible to get model/crank size/lengths of weights? on the sram red exo it says gxp is almost 780g...but quarq elsa is like 710g and P2M is like 750g? I'd like to get some ballparks unless my numbers are way off...
i love udon.

7ducati

by 7ducati

Another happy P2M-S user here. Going on over a year of riding and still on the original battery. It's honestly been flawless. I've never had an issue with losing data or not syncing instantly, or weird data or anything. Love it.
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

ricey155

by ricey155

German made and reliable P2M only downside they take a few days to process your order must be busy which I guess is a good sign !! #BulletProof £987 well spent

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

cure

by cure

nlouthan wrote:Yes, it's worth it.

I have a P2M (S type) and it's been flawless. Wife has a Cinqo and it's been flawless as well. She never gets it wet, so I can't speak to it's weather resistance.

Truthfully, pretty much all of the PMs are great nowadays. Your choice is really based on crank choices, aesthetic and price.

dcrainmaker.com is a great source for PM info too.

have you gotten p2m through wet conditions? if so how bad?
i love udon.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I have a Quarq Riken and two P2M S-Types (one with the K-Force crank - no issues here). The Quarq has a more fluctuating power reading and generally records slightly higher power numbers compared to the P2Ms.
I'd go for the P2M - imho worth the extra $.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Stueys

by Stueys

Out of interest has anyone tried the rotor crank pm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com