Ultegra casette on Chorus drivetrain - Performance loss?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Hi I'm piecing together a build with Campagnolo Chorus. Mechanical or EPS is still undecided. I have hov ever gotten a real nice offer on some brand new Reynolds Strike slg Wheels. They are mounted with Shimano freewheel and a brand new Ultegra casette. I know I can rebuild the hub with a Campagnolo freewheel but I'd rather wait untill I have worn out the Ultegra casette.....That is IF the performance loss of using a Shimano casette on Campagnolo drivetrain isn't to big.

Are any of you Campagnolo Guys running Shimano/Sram 11 speed casettes on your Campagnolo equipped bikes?

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

CAADillac

by CAADillac

I am currently running a 11/25 Ultegra cassette with a 2014 Chorus group and have had no issues. Several other posters here have been doing the same for some time, if I recall correctly.

11 speed cassette spacing is essentially the same whether it be shimano, sram, or Campag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I know people are using that setup without any problems. Even one of them says that Ultegra cassette is more silent during ride and shifting.
He has Record EPS.

I also tried if shifting is good, at home, with Ultegra 6800 cassette and 2015 Chorus groupset. It was all good, no problems at all.

Dman

by Dman

I've used Chorus11 with a DA9000 cassette. Zero problems

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I switch my rear wheels fairly often between a record rear and an ultegra rear and in my experience the Ultegra cassette isn't quite as smooth as the Campag, some shifts seem to clunk a bit but it's really nothing I would worry about. Could be something to do with the chain/cog profiles or simply that I don't have the indexing dialed in
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Thanks Guys :beerchug:

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I rode for a long time Campy Chorus 12-29 cassette with DuraAce DI2 and perfect shifting and quit. Changed to Shimano cassette and no difference.
Last edited by Frankie13 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I run an 6800 cassette with 11 speed Athena, Zero issues!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slack

by Slack

I've got two bikes setup up with Campag, one with full chorus, running an Ultegra chain and cassette. One with Chorus 11 speed ergos and the rest is Veloce 10 speed mechs and brakes, running 11 speed ultegra chain and cassette. The performance between the full Chorus and Chorus/Veloce mix isn't noticeable. My reason for running the Ultegra chains and cassette are; I'm running Specialized cranks with Specialized rings and was getting chain drop while cross chaining with the Chorus chain as it's shallower than a Shimano chain, the chain would just drop to the smaller ring when you got towards the top of the block. I do not know what pricing it like world wide but in the U.K. you can pick up an Ultegra 6800 chain and cassette for half the price of a Chorus set, so it's either half price, or you can afford replace your chain twice as often.

I've had zero problems running this setup for two years.