Replacement light chainring and bolt suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Hi,

I recently replaced my stock SLK-Light crankset (with 52/36 FSA rings) for an S-Works crankset (with Red 22 53/39 rings) on my BB30 SL4 Tarmac. Although my weenie scales only measure accurately to 500g, my kitchen scales register at about 625g for the SLK and 645g for the S-Works (I've also gone from 170 - 175mm at the same time on the length).

The Fairwheel review persuaded me to switch for the stiffness, and they match up better with the Specialized frame, so I've taken the 20g hit on weight. I'm looking if possible to claim back some of the 20g, if not more. Areas for improvement are the 130mm BCD aluminium spider - 5 bolt, which I could upgrade to carbon - but this looks very expensive and with minimal (10g?) savings to be made.

I therefore figured the chainrings would be a good area to focus on. The Red 22 chainrings are very nice, but are certainly heavyweights. Do you guys have any suggestions for some 5 bolt, 11 speed standard rings in a 52 or 53 outer and a 39 inner? Would shifting be vastly inferior if I kept the inner Sram ring and matched with a different outer ring? From what I've read, there seems very minimal, i.e. 3-6g weight savings to be made from the inner, but maybe 50g to be saved from the outer.

Not seen many recent topics, so please do share your experiences. Weight is the number one priority, but longevity and stiffness are also important, front shifting is currently superb with the Red 22 FD.

ross

by ross

I saved 30g changing from FSA SLK-Light chainrings to Praxis works. Front shifting is much better too (Shimano)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FSA K-force Light BB 386 EVO (2015) shift very good but also have heavy rings. I wouldn't mess with it, but that's just me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Praxis no doubt very nice, reckon I could shave off around 25g with a 53t outer ring. WheelsOnFire - you'll have to change em at some point!...any experiences with 11 speed stronglight or TA guys?
Views on chainring bolts? Extralite, KCNC?