Sram OG Cassette Hack-Shhhh

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

Still on 10spd here, and have a couple of these in 11-28, primarily due to weight and cost used. Finally got sick of the clatter, particularly after using a Shimano cassette for a bit. Inside of cassette is a hollow drum and amplifies everything. So, after some thought, grabbed a drill and a can of spray foam. Drilled two holes the size of the nozzle/straw in the rear cover, more towards spline than the center of the plate, and filled it up with foam.The rear cover will easily withstand the small holes. Let it dry well, or else centrifugal force will fling it everywhere. Weight of the main body went from 155 to 165g, but damn, its greatly improved, almost Shimano silent. Worth the 10g no question.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

The XG cassettes are pretty quiet with those little rubber rings.

prebsy

by prebsy

taking a drill to your cassette, good man :thumbup:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The backing plate is only secured by a little epoxy. My old cassette had the backing plate come off, and I had to reglue it. Drilling the cassette is no big deal.

glepore

by glepore

:lol: Yeah the backing plate comes off of most on its own at some point, and its just a cover more or less. After a little google, it turns out that I'm no genius (go figure) and that this has been discussed before. I suspect I have some minor tolerance issues, these cassettes were tolerable before a derailleur hanger shear off that left the rd bouncing down the road; since, they've rattled in the smaller cogs unless I adjust down to the point of unshiftability (6770 di2). Hanger has been checked, and visually things seem fine. With the filled cassette the clatter is almost gone, to the point I can live with it.

And yeah, I'd go to xg except they're a couple hundred bucks.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

wingguy

by wingguy

What about getting some different lengths of the ultra strong black rubber bands and putting one between each cog a la the XG elastomers? I'm sure it's been done but I can't remember the result.

eric

by eric

O rings. You can get bags of them at the hardware store.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

what eric wrote is the best solution for making a OG cassette quieter.
The XG is a better product.

Removing the back plate on the OG is good for tuning (search prior threads/posts here on WW, road), but the caveat is that you will need to find the proper epoxy to *permanently* adhere the plate back in place, otherwise it will fail with the sun's heat and, ultimately, fail you out on the road.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.