undecided about Wilier zero.7 vs Trek Madone 9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Hi friends!
I need your advice because I don't know which model of road bike to buy beetwen Wilier Zero.7 and trek Madone rsl. I know that this are two different model, the trek is a aero bike and the Zero.7 is a climber's bike. In really I am looking for a light bike but It would be enough for me less of 6.7kg with pedals. So I will mount the bike with a pair of mavic r-sys slr (for most of the time but I have also a pair of carbon aero wheels) and with shimano dura-ace di2. But on the Zero.7 I could mount also some particular parts to decrease a weight until 6,1/6,0 kg.

I'm really undecided becuase I love the Wilier brand but the new Trek madone is very interesting for the all its new solution, and in addition the Wilier Zero.7 is released in the end of 2014 while the new Trek madone is released now and I would that the bike can last over the t ime as long as possibile.

So give me your opinion friends!
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove the screaming.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Philbar72

by Philbar72

an aero bike and those wheels. not a good mix. R-sys are the equivalent of putting a barn door on the front of your bike.

I love the look of the wilier. i've heard it doesn't handle as well as proper WT grade bikes.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

These frames will last, but your interest in them wouldn't... My advice will be Madone 9 because it would have a higher novelty value for you, but yeah, you should put on proper aero wheels to do it justice.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Philbar72 wrote:an aero bike and those wheels. not a good mix. R-sys are the equivalent of putting a barn door on the front of your bike.

i've heard it doesn't handle as well as proper WT grade bikes.

I do not understand, what do you mean? please explain with more clearly

Kayrehn wrote:These frames will last, but your interest in them wouldn't... My advice will be Madone 9 because it would have a higher novelty value for you, but yeah, you should put on proper aero wheels to do it justice.

I have also a pair of mavic cosmic carbone 40c but for most of the time I will use the r-sys slr.

mimason

by mimason

BS, the zero 7 is a good handling bike. I've ridded the cento1 and zero7. This is a hard decision and most certainly the correct answer is both; but since you can only have one then try to simplify aero vs light and which on you wake up at night thinking about.

The zero 7 will look better if you must use shallow rims but if I were you I'd decide based on my riding style, what types of roads I ride, and which bike would compliment me best.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

What about new Orbea Orca OMR frame?
Will look good with climbing wheels. Will look good with deep section wheels.
As aero as old Orca, comfortable, good handling, light enough.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

mimason wrote:and which bike would compliment me best.

both!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love do long rides, long climbers so maybe is better the Zero.7 but I am a simple biker not a racer so the difference for me does not compromise my performance.

also with aero wheels the Zero.7 is nice

LeDuke

by LeDuke

REDUTOPIA wrote:I do not understand, what do you mean? please explain with more clearly

He means that the R-Sys are not a very aerodynamic wheel. At all.

Basically, why pay for a super aero bike like the Madone 9 (purportedly), then throw very non-aero wheels on it? It makes no sense.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

LeDuke wrote:
REDUTOPIA wrote:I do not understand, what do you mean? please explain with more clearly

He means that the R-Sys are not a very aerodynamic wheel. At all.

Basically, why pay for a super aero bike like the Madone 9 (purportedly), then throw very non-aero wheels on it? It makes no sense.

I agree but I mean that in the every day rides with a road not always in perfect condition and long descents the brake surface of the alloy wheelsets is better than the brake surface of canbon wheelsets.

I have also the mavic cosmic carbone 40c but for most of the time I will use the r-sys slr. So I meant know if with this r-sys slr the weight of trek madone rsl with shimano dura-ace di2 can be less of 6.7kg included pedals.

I was referring to this his sentence:

OrPe

by OrPe

REDUTOPIA wrote:I was referring to this his sentence:

WT -> World Tour, i.e. high(est) end bikes, as used in the big tours.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

In the sense that the Wilier Zero.7 have not the same quality of the world tour bike? The Wilier Zero.7 is the bike of UHC and colombia team.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Don't they ride on the Cento 1 or the Cento 1 Air? So did Lampre in the past.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

wingguy

by wingguy

Philbar72 wrote:I love the look of the wilier. i've heard it doesn't handle as well as proper WT grade bikes.

The original Wilier Zero.7 debuted in the World Tour with Lampre. They may now be like Cervelo and Colnago in not having a WT team, but that doesn't mean they're not WT grade.

In terms of handling I'd say the Zero.7 was designed to be livelier at the front than some other top level race bikes, but that's a matter of personal taste. I thought it was bags of fun to ride downhill, whereas my new Evo is a bit more subdued and less engaging but easier to push to the absolute limit.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

I'm sure, the team colombia use only the Zero.7 and also some rider of the UHC team.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Trek bikes have pretty amazing warranty, I believe it's life? I'd go Trek.