2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo; Widest rear rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey,

Thinking about getting a new rear rim. Currently have a 20.5mm in there which fits OK. There is an option of 23mm and 25mm now, and I would like to go 25mm, with a 25mm tyre, but not sure if it will fit in the stays...

I have measured, and it looks close, but OK, but I wonder if anyone has any actual real world experience of putting a 25mm rim / tyre setup in the rear of a 2014 Evo... ?

Cheers.

headwind816

by headwind816

I owned a 2014 Evo for 6 months and had a Continental 4000s 23mm mounted to an Industry Nine i-25TL wheel (23mm wide rim), which resulted in rub in the nds chain stay. Over this period, I wore through the paint. My guess is that the rub occurred during out of saddle climbs - while AC dances on pedals, I wrestled with mine.

I never measured the tire width but suspect it will be close to your setup. Would I do again? Oh yeah as the ride was sublime. I wonder if helicopter tape or something of the like along the chainstays would be a viable protection measure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

My zipp 404s with veloflex arenberg 25mm and fmb comp cx 25 fit fine in a 2014 evo himod. No rub at all after about 7k miles this season. And visibly enough space, a few mm each side. Some of the frames have mis-alignment issues and can get rub, but mine is dead center. Make sure to check your frame with a perfectly dished wheel or two.

5DII

by 5DII

I have a 2014 Evo with Boras (24.2mm external width) with 25mm GP4000S (slightly wider than 25, maybe 26-27), fits fine, but i dont think i would go wider than that

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Ah thanks a lot for the replies. Useful info.

Yeah, my frame is straight, and I am building the new rim into my existing rear hub, so I can dish it over if necessary.

Will go for a 25mm then and see how it goes. Will post up results when I get it built and ridden.

Cheers!

wrenegade

by wrenegade

No issues running Zipp 303 firecrest clinchers (26.4mm rear wheel width) with a 25mm Veloflex Corsa on my 2014 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod.

allenpg

by allenpg

I run Pacenti SL23 rims with both 4000s and Open Corsa CX in 23c with no problems on a 2012 Evo. Haven't tried 25c though.

Vikingpower

by Vikingpower

I, too, however with some hulk efforts on a 25cm wore thru some chainstay paint. I assumed, falsely, that it was the rear brakes. Nope... Sigh.
If anyone has some helicopter tape I'd buy a little piece as I don't need several feet of it as it's sold...
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vikingpower

by Vikingpower

Sorry for bring up dead, years old thread, but it just popped up on my screen. Guess I need to get used to this site. Thanks. And Sorry.