Another Tall tire like the Continental Gatorskin Tubular ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlC

by KarlC

I am using the Continental Gatorskin Tubular 25mm as I have crap roads all around my house and I found that its a Tall tire that fits my bike well. As in the gap from the frame to the tire is nice and close, I really like that look.

My current carbon wheels are V shape and not wide, the Continental Gatorskin 25mm is wider than the rim.

I just got a deal on a set of Zipp 404 Firecrest Tubular wheels they have Continental 4000 22mm tires that look to small for the wide U shape rim. They also don't fit my bike as well in my mind as they are a lower profile tire and there would be a larger gap from the frame to the tire.

I was thinking of switching the tires and putting the 25mm on the wider Zipp 404 and the 22mm on the narrow wheels. But that seams like a lot of work.

Is there another tall tire like the Continental Gatorskin Tubular that would give a better ride ?

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Interested for the answers. I head over to San Diego a couple times a year, and would like to run my tubs, if possible.

I have good luck with the Conti Sprinter Gatorskins, over here in Phoenix, but I'm positive there's a better riding tire available.

KarlC

by KarlC

I have read that the Vittoria PAVE is comparable to Continental Gatorskin, but a better riding tire.

I want to know if the Vittoria PAVE is as Tall as the Continental Gatorskin also.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

boysa

by boysa

Well, it's your lucky day. I have a mismatched set glued up right now on a set of HED Belgiums. Gatorskin 25mm rear, Pave 24mm front. Just inflated them both to 90psi and they are about the same. The Pave is like new, so it has a bit more tread, but taking measurements (with calipers) around the rim, they both come in just about identical. As for width, they also are the same, averaging 25.5mm. With tubbies, there is some fudge room because of glue and the like, but I'd call these two even.

Interesting note, however, the Pave LOOKS much thinner because of the green stripe.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Marin

by Marin

You can measure the Gatorskin with calipers. Height will grow the same as width for bicycle tires.

The 27mm Vittoria Open Pavé is a true 27mm wide on my 17c A23 rims. On a rim with less internal width, it will shrink approriately, about 0.5mm per mm of internal widht I guess. Puncture protection on the Vittorias is quite a bit weaker compared to Contis.

You could consider GP4000s, which run 1-2mm wider than the Gatorskin for the same stated size. Flat protection has been excellent for me - 9000km and counting without a puncture.

Another option: Panaracer Gravelkings. The ride is very smooth, closer to the Pavés than to the slightly wooden Contis, and flat protection seems to be good as well. I've only ridden them part of this season though.

(Edit: Hmm, didn't realize it said "tubular" in the title... )
Last edited by Marin on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarlC

by KarlC

boysa wrote:Well, it's your lucky day. I have a mismatched set glued up right now on a set of HED Belgiums. Gatorskin 25mm rear, Pave 24mm front. Just inflated them both to 90psi and they are about the same. The Pave is like new, so it has a bit more tread, but taking measurements (with calipers) around the rim, they both come in just about identical. As for width, they also are the same, averaging 25.5mm. With tubbies, there is some fudge room because of glue and the like, but I'd call these two even.

Interesting note, however, the Pave LOOKS much thinner because of the green stripe.

Great info thx !

How wide is your HED Belgium wheel ?

Your Pave is 24mm or 25mm ?

I would be going with the all Black Pave (No Green stripe)
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Marin wrote:You can measure the Gatorskin with calipers. Height will grow the same as width for bicycle tires.

The 27mm Vittoria Open Pavé is a true 27mm wide on my 17c A23 rims. On a rim with less internal width, it will shrink approriately, about 0.5mm per mm of internal widht I guess. Puncture protection on the Vittorias is quite a bit weaker compared to Contis.

You could consider GP4000s, which run 1-2mm wider than the Gatorskin for the same stated size. Flat protection has been excellent for me - 9000km and counting without a puncture.

Another option: Panaracer Gravelkings. The ride is very smooth, closer to the Pavés than to the slightly wooden Contis, and flat protection seems to be good as well. I've only ridden them part of this season though.

The Zipp 404 FC Tubular wheels I just got have the GP4000 on them in 22mm and it looks like that is as wide as they come in Tubular.

Why does Coni not make the GP4000 in a 25mm Tubular ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Currently have Pave 24 front and Gatorskin 25 rear. Continue def a touch taller 2-3mm. Rims are Hed Stinger 6. Popped a Pave on rear last race after a gravel section but it was pretty worn 2,000 km.

Pave's are nice, but not half as durable as Gatorskin, not much is. Fwiw I aged my Paves as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

I'll second the notion Paves are nowhere near as durable as the Gatorskins. Not even close. You pay for the durability, however, with ride quality.

Depends: I enjoy a plush riding tire, but I HATE punctures.

KarlC

by KarlC

boysa wrote:I'll second the notion Paves are nowhere near as durable as the Gatorskins. Not even close. You pay for the durability, however, with ride quality.

Depends: I enjoy a plush riding tire, but I HATE punctures.

Maybe 25mm Gatorskins for the durability with low pressure in the 85-90 psi range for the comfort is the way to go ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

boysa

by boysa

That was my training setup for a long time, running 90R/78F, or even a hair lower. FWIW, since moving to horrible roads I have a set of Gatorskin 25mm clinchers on Neutrons and I'm running them 85R/70F. I'm 64-65kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

Well I swamped out my current carbon V shape narrow wheels with Continental Gatorskin 25mm Tubular tires for my new to me set of Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels with Continental 4000 22mm Tubular tires.

After a short ride I cant say much about the wheels yet but I can say this new set up is very uncomfortable compared to my old set up.

I may need to find some durable and comfortable 25mm Tubular tires for these Zipp 404 wheels. (I ride crap roads)
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12